Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 40,318
excitel seems to be doing the same thing. these companies really need to offer a dumb onu if the customer so demands. airtel is also doing the same thing and is providing options to manage router through their app. all this seems nice on paper but is a massive annoyance for anyone who wants more control over his network.

UPDATE: It seems like Jio is trying to make their existing routers compatible with the mesh solution they are offering, so this is a common trait you will see in most mesh routers out their i.e. a main SSID and a hidden one with the same parameters for the other node to connect, but there still is something abnormal which is the fact that upon disabling the main AP, instead of turning the radio off to free the spectrum, Jio is simply turning the SSID broadcast off hence the four hidden networks (2 main and 2 hidden for the mesh nodes to connect to.)

Last edited:
Update: Checked via inSSIder, and the hidden networks are operating at 400 Mbps. This must be a pretty bad mesh network, with connection at 2.4 ghz. 😀

I am hoping somebody from you is using openwrt so can you suggest doing settings for DMZ on it?

Guys I'm very worried about this problem I've been facing since the beginning of this month.

I sometimes use "Wifi Analyzer" app on my phone to check the signal strength of my wifi connection.

But since the beginning of September it keeps showing an unknown blank SSID on the 2.4Ghz spectrum and TWO blank SSIDs on the 5Ghz spectrum. THIS IS EVEN WHEN I HAVE COMPLETELY DISABLED WIFI!!!!

I know for sure that my Jio fiber box is emitting those signals because I switched off the power directly to the box to verify that.

THIS SEEMS TO BE A SERIOUS SECURITY PROBLEM. OR AM I JUST BEING PARANOID??.

I called the helpline repeatedly and tried to explain this problem to them. But they kept saying that they don't know why I'm facing this issue. And that I should only call for help if I don't have internet access. What the hell?.?

Can anyone kindly explain to me why this is happening???

I'm also seeing this.. but I also saw the exact same thing on Syrotech router on BSNL FTTH. A hidden SSID is there with a MAC address similar to the main ID and occupying the same channel. I even see this same thing on neighbours' wifi signals. Ab overlapping hidden SSID with the main SSID