Reliance Jio Fiber Router are broadcasting hidden SSID even when Wi-Fi is disabled

• Thread starter Thread starter f3rmion
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 97
  • Views Views 40,328
ISP
Reliance JIO
I'm currently using JIO Fiber with an Asus router connected as an Access Point. I have disabled all the APs on my JIO fiber dual band router still it is broadcasting hidden SSIDs on both 2.4 and 5Ghz band. Moreover, There are concurrent overlapping channels running on both bands, similar to what is seen on many mesh networking routers. In the below image, there are two overlapping hidden network on channel 1 @ 2.4 Ghz and same on channel 157 @ 5Ghz.

1599153905788.png

ohh I also have all jio SSIDs disabled , let me know how to check

just checked, yep its an issue but I am using my own router with 2.4ghz disabled and 5ghz on high frequency which won't be affected by jio router at all. Jio router does not seem to be in any load though

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-09-04 005009.webp
    Annotation 2020-09-04 005009.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 657
  • Annotation 2020-08-26 122343.webp
    Annotation 2020-08-26 122343.webp
    7.8 KB · Views: 676
Hi

I am facing same issue .... mine is broadcasting 3 hidden networks, even after disabling all the WiFi profiles from the Jio router itself. i have tried resetting and disabling again but still same issue persists.

Is there any way to disable them completely?

edit: Router is JCO4032

I have contacted customer care regarding the same, let's see what happens. I don't think that they plan to reveal their true intentions but I have a feeling that they will be using these hidden networks to expand their cellular coverage.

Update: As stated in my other post, Jio router is still broadcasting hidden networks, here is the new thing I discovered

Washing machine and fridge at home are wifi enable and were connected earlier with Jio router... but when I disabled the Jio wifi later, I never new wifi password to the both the appliances but today I accidentally found out that these both were still connecting to Jio wifi even when those were disabled ... but other devices couldn't. That's really strange. now I have changed ssids of Jio router and disabled them so they are disconnected from Jio router now.

That means if someone manually add ssid/network info they can still access wifi from Jio router wifi even when it is disabled.

I called JioFiber Care .... but lady there had no idea about the situation

therefore, my IoT devices act weirdly sometimes when I disable my router SSID. They get connected to the Jio gateway, and I always used to think that problem is in my Asus router. -_-

I have contacted customer care regarding the same, let's see what happens. I don't think that they plan to reveal their true intentions but I have a feeling that they will be using these hidden networks to expand their cellular coverage.
I contacted too ... lady had no idea about the situation ... she scheduled a call back from technical team. lets see

I don't think this is a problem, rather I have two theories :

The things I'm stating here after is purely my guess based upon the facts and situation.

There could be two possible reasons for doing something like this,

First reason, I suspect that Jio will be using these hidden APs to auto configure the pairing process of their soon to be launched range of connected devices (cameras etc.) using My Jio app. Given the history of jio it is more than possible that these devices will only work on JIO's network and thus unlike traditional smart devices will lack an option to manually select Wireless network, as we all have seen in the case of JIO Voice.

Second reason could be to boost their cellular/hotspot network. Since no one would voluntarily want to participate in such a trial which involves sharing their WiFi credentials, Jio sneakily issued a firmware update enabling this "feature", Jio's network already uses TR-069 auto configuration so technically they could simply switch our WiFi on whenever they want, but in order to maintain "security", they issued a firmware update which caused this problem (causing interference as the router interface lacks an option to select WiFi channel). Since they already have our WiFi credentials, they can share those credentials temporarily using a secure medium to provide their "services".