Reliance Jio Fiber Pune users

• Thread starter Thread starter Yatch
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 20
  • Views Views 3,648
@Yatch the rep said it would take about 15 days for main cable work (installation on poles in lanes, etc) in the area to get over i.e. 3rd week Apr and after that they will wire up societies that have given them permission. He also said services to this area will start simulataneously. I expect end Apr to early May. So far they were only in some lanes of KP but are now reaching out to other surrounding neighbourhoods including Bund Garden etc.

Iirc from my area they started giving connection after 2+ months from laying of pole cable n fixing junction box.

There will be a number of factors affecting roll out including permissions from local authorities (hopefully all cleared by now), size of housing colonies, physical obstructions including some colonies which deny permissions for cabling thoroughfare among others. Though the rep said end Apr to start services I expect it to go into early to mid May possibly beyond. These companies rarely adhere to given timelines.

At this stage I am just curious about their services as Airtel & TPBB have served me well over the years. What puts me off JF is their restriction on configuration of the ONT in bridge mode, blocking sites and reportedly VPNs too. I may opt for that 1 month free trial to check it out. Let's see.
My experience as a Jio mobile subscriber tells me support will probably not be the best either. Airtel and TPBB are really good in comparison.

@Chip I thought you stayed in Kharadi.

Would they setting up their junction boxes on street light poles and have overhead hanging cables running to individual flats, or connection boxes would be on terrace of the buildings and fibre cable would be passed through internal ducts in the building?

I stay in an individual apartment and not in a gated society. The Fiber cuts by building owners are a regular nuisance here. Jio's main fibre cable was cut by my neighbour (was passing over his terrace) since one month, and Jio still hasn't fixed it, and probably they won't. They might be waiting for all customers to unsubscribe and stop serving this area altogether. Fiber cuts are a headache for them, so they prefer proper gated societies. They have similar gripes in Sainath nagar.

@Yatch cable cutting was a big issue here for some TPBB subscribers including myself earlier. But now it has been resolved and service is stable. And they are very responsive in attending to complaints. But according what I was told this is done mainly by competition not society members or house owners. Their top suspects are the lower tier i.e. local internet providers mostly run by cable operators etc.

I face no issues with either Airtel or TPBB now. Very little or no downtime due to cable cut. Although Airtel did seem to be a bit dicey earlier this year due to some so called maintenance that they were carrying out. But all ok now. I feel it's important to take the colony's or independent house owner's permission before hand so they don't damage the cables. This can include places the cable traverses to reach other destinations. Best to use public power or lamp posts & even trees if possible.

Hope JF has sorted out permission for the route from KP to my area. Otherwise there will be issues. Luckily vandalism is not common here.

PS - @Yatch the method used by Airtel and TPBB is an overhead cable to 1 building with 2 splitter boxes on the terrace and then a bunch of over head cables to other colony buildings where another splitter is installed in the stairway or common area from which subscribers are provided fibres into their homes. I expect it to be similar.

Last edited: