• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1
  • Views Views 4,645
Status
Not open for further replies.

tefl0n`

ISP
MTNL
I was just reading about Reliance Infocomm's fibre optic network in India. They claim to have laid fibre not only on long haul links between cities, but also down to most street corners in the metropolies. I know that my corner in Mumbai has been covered by Reliance because they dug up my road for a week around a year ago.Anyway, the point is, fibre can carry m@$$ive amounts of data, more than they could possibly use for any conceivable application today. I don't see why they would not be able to roll out a service capable of 5, 6 maybe even 7 Mbit/s. The bandwidth provided by their infrastructure in the country is virtually unlimited. While the bandwidth on their international gateway might s*ck, they could, theoretically offer a world-cl@$$ connection to hosts within India. If they did offer something like this, I'm sure you would see a lot more sites hosted in India.This is @n@1ogous to what happened here in the US during the tech boom of '00. They laid so much friggin fibre in the US that right now, they cant even use 10% of what they have. Bandwidth the cheap as hell, my cable connection for $24/month gives me 5 Mbit.I beleive the infrastructure to provide worldcl@$$ broadband is present in India. God damn, why the hell would they not let us have it.arrrrrghhhhh :angry: :angry: :angry:

Frankly, its not only reliance that laid fiber. Airtel, bsnl(major haul lines), railways(along tracks), tata.Comcast(or verizon) is currently rolling out fttp in lots of urban areas in the us.The difference between india and the us is that a lot of the companies that laid fiber within the us and undersea have lost a lot of money or have become bankrupt altogether(global crossing). The @$$ets of these companies were auctioned off and therefore there is a lot of dark fiber in the us.In India, only the major companies laid fiber. They are still in business. They will first try to recoup their investment costs before they offer affordable broadband.Like I said before, companies in India still think "broadband" is a privilege rather than a commodity. Screw them.

Status
Not open for further replies.