• Thread starter Thread starter praveenzid
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 32
  • Views Views 15,974
Status
Not open for further replies.

praveenzid

Reliance BroadNet: My experiments with ISPs

I must confess I'm a media junkie. The last shutdown my poor souped up PC had was months back when the electricity fluctuated!

Reliance has put its ruddy foot in every aspect of my life. My own personal RIM (RIM to RIM free, which sustains my romantic life), the power (as you might have guessed) is also Reliance aka Reliance Energy, recently Reliance trapped me further with a bloody Fixed Wireless Phone (FWP) that has serious psychological issues with itself. All in all everything but my soul (I think) belongs to the Holy ‘R’.

I have a fetish for bandwidth; I’d rather download than play a game. I want all the games and software before my buddies even know they exist (cuz I love the look on their faces). With the miracle that is Torrents all that and more is just a few clicks (right clicks, saves, OKs, cancels etc. etc.) away.

I hereby furnish without prejudice my experience with ISPs:

🙂 Mantra Online : PSTN, was fun while 3.2 kB/s was exciting.
Fast forward the broadband age!!
Powersurfer : Dubious claimant to the broadband throne, should have been named ‘octogenarian surfer in comatose’ i.e., it sucked harder that Karan Johar on a lollypop.
My local ISP donned the white suit of armor and rode to me on a silver stallion with:
Sify : Who gave me, hold your breath, 5.4 kB/s !!! Man now I was happenin’ I could put a mp3 album for download and sit back for a week and hope that none of the other schmucks were using the net so I could sample the proverbial 64 kbps.
Sify (The Sequel): I squealed like that pig in that movie when my ISP walla took pity me and hooked me up to a 64 kbps dedicated line. Is there a catch you ask? Of course yaar, the damn thing was missing 5 days out of the week! I paid for a month then used it for a week if the connection was in a friggin mood to stay on that much.
Then I tried out nothing short of 7-10 different ISPs and 3 providers. None of them could sustain their connections long enough to justify the money I was paying them for unlimited connectivity.
BTW I shot, stabbed, kicked and punched my Internetwalla for giving me false hope, and I shot him again in the head to make sure.

sorry dude Reliance Broadnet totally sucks from my point of view. You are lucky to get it but most of us dont have it. Why? Simple cuz its NOT AVAILABLE 🙂

LOL, a well written post there, praveenzid... Very few of us have had a chance to see Reliance Broadnet, but the general consensus is that its way too costly 😛 Your post took me through the days when all of us probably first experienced the internet(me in 1997)... cybercafes costed 60-70 rupees an hour, my first VSNL account costed me 3000 rupees for 100 hours...And that black terminal screen window, where you had to enter your name and password...LMAO!Anyways, cheers.And welcome to the forums. 😀

my first net experience was at 150 bucks an hour. three guys split up half an hour cost. made hotmail accounts.

Originally posted by max@Jan 17 2006, 05:51 PM
sorry dude Reliance Broadnet totally sucks from my point of view. You are lucky to get it but most of us dont have it. Why? Simple cuz its NOT AVAILABLE 🙂
[snapback]39502[/snapback]
[/quote]

Agreed and I'm trying to get the scoop on the Airtel service offering. Let's see maybe it's gonna give good 'ol R a run for its money.
Man I love the way competition drives these schmucks.
😀

Please let us not get communal in here....
Reliance sent this happy confused Sardar home to me one day to explain their rates. What next.... A nice dumb hindu cc rep .....A cheerful idiot Muslim line man.....please be careful while posting. Grow up guys!

Would love to try out Reliance if one could get hold of their rates etc...They just seem to be off the broadband radar currently. Going by their reputation one would tread very cautiously before taking any of their plans.

Guys, got some inside info from reliance business guys.Currently they are rolling out services only to friendly users as trail basis is 10 cities : Mumbai, Hyderabad,Delhi,Calcutta,Chennai,Surat,Ahmedabad,Vadodara,Pune,BangaloreThe have planned to roll out fully from April.The maximum speed they are offering is 4 Mbps

Hope they do roll out something soon; it is high time they did so!.... The more the competition the merrier it is for us. I also hope their plans are affordable unlike the Tata blokes

Don't know about other cities but reliance has no plans to offer broadband services to home users in Delhi in the near future. One of my relatives is a senior exec in infocomm and he confirmed that broadband is relatively low priority for them as of now.

Given the admissibly low computer penetration in India....it is no surprise that a greedy comapny like relaince has not fullly ventured into the broadband scene as yet...or plan to do so for another few more years....till things improve.

Their mobile sector is booming and RIL isn't still _THE_ player. So its obvious that retail BB is low priority for them.

Originally posted by praveenzid@Jan 18 2006, 12:28 PM
Agreed and I'm trying to get the scoop on the Airtel service offering. Let's see maybe it's gonna give good 'ol R a run for its money.
Man I love the way competition drives these schmucks.
😀
[snapback]39600[/snapback]
[/quote]
It will going on the issues you explained. No logouts or crappy loogin screens.

Only thing im not sure about is speed & cost ?

How much do you pay for how fast for Reliance ?

Hi guys,Been using Rconnect and at the time when most guys were getting mighty screwed by the likes of MTNL/SIFY/VSNL dialups.. when getting 33kbps was a godsend, the Rconnect speeds were totally awesome in 2002-3.. arnd 10K-18Kbps... ya unbelievable.. I hv downloaded 200Mb files without a drop in connection!!! Alas those were the good ole days...So now I hv rconnect ( speeds suck bigtime ~2Kbps) for home surfing and go to the nearby WebWorld for power surfing.Then these guys sent a fella to my house and he had this xerox of tariff plan for FLP.. I shooed him saying I am not int in it but rather broad band net access. he came right back with another printout for broadband..300 bucks for 300kbps + 350Mb pm...Sify gives 600Mb 256kbps for 450 bucks 2months validTriband gives 256kbps + 400Mb = 200 bucks...was in a dilemma which to choose...The Rel guy explained that theirs is fiber optic all the way except the PC connection to switch is on CAT5 Lan cable. Also, they have a direct gateway too..So I went to the Rel website and what did I see...300 bucks = 600kbps +350Mbhv been totally blown off by this.. plus the bandwidth can be stepped up on demand too...chk it out guys on the site...My reasoning is as follows...1. ADA owns Infocomm and Reliance Energy. Both have fiber optics running all over.. btw, BSES had their network much much before anybody had it.. and the entire ciry of mumbai has tons of their cables going all over.. of crse not publised info...2. ADA owns FLAG telcom = fibre optic gateways to world.3. Infocomm has 4.3Terrabytes of Backbone switching in the country and of course have REALLY sphisticated IDC servers.. Hv seen it..Electricity, Backbones, Gateways and IDC setup...tell me guys honestly, what do u see??? I see a total end-to-end pure pleasure of surfing... of course the nightmare comes when dealing with CC.cheers... will be signing up very soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.