• Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,155
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oop

ISP
Local Cable
Hey guys,

I happen to live in a building which hates the Internet or I live amongst a non-Internet generation, happy with FUP's. (No MTNL, Hathway, Airtel, BSNL, Tikona etc.)

Unfortunately, I need a high Bandwidth UL connection for my work. I am currently on the local cable connection: 4Mbps/Day and 8Mbps/Night for Rs.2400. For the past 6 months, this connection stays inactive more than active with packet loss, terrible speed/ping. I end up using Vodafone 3G to upload my work.

I have very limited options available and the local cable (in2net) almost has a monopoly. In the months I have projects, I used to use a Tata Indicom connection, which worked quite well but was expensive (Rs.6000+) and their Customer Care was terrible and whenever I needed to disconnect, they would almost take a month and still end up charging me. -_-

MTNL Fibre was going to be ideal, but no connection in my building, although it's available in the area apparently. I'm not sure if my cave-men neighbours would opt in for this. The branch manager said, I need to bring them a letter from the society and they'll need to see how many people opt for it.

I finally landed on Reliance and the Thunder 4Mbps plan looks like, it could get me through.

My Question is:

- I saw an option for leased line or 4:1 ratio lines. Does this make a major difference in terms of speed and downtime etc.? What scams should I be aware of?

- How much extra would they charge for priority lines? Is it a set fee across all ISP's?

I'm planning to grab an MTNL UL 3G SIM as well.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you 🙂

Is this rcom metro Ethernet or ADSL?

I don't think you need a leased line, tbh.

No mtnl adsl? What does your building use for landline phones?

@ x720 - I have no idea which variant of the Reliance BB they offer. Is there a one I should avoid? I called up Reliance this morning and have requested a connection. Will know, once the tech guy comes over.

Regarding MTNL, I had avoided it all these years due to all the complaints I heard regarding it not working/downtime etc. I'm guessing they've improved over the years? I haven't seen a landline in 8 years 😀

I enquired with the local MTNL branch regarding Fibre and they mentioned it wasn't available and I'd have to put in a request. Is MTNL ADSL something worth looking into over Reliance?

I'm okay with either, anything that offers me a good stable connection, unlimited < Rs.3000

Even, I don't want to opt for a leased line. Stability was my main concern.
Currently, if my Internet dies, I can call the local guy and have at least some form of internet running within a few hours. I work with unrealistic deadlines, where they expect me to upload a 5GB work files within under a day's notice. 3G has been an expensive blessing in such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.