Reliance Big TV DTH HD DVR - First Impressions

• Thread starter Thread starter gilpa123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 52
  • Views Views 38,275

gilpa123

ISP
AIRTEL - 2MBPS
I got myself the new BigTV - HD DVR setup to my denon AVR, and all i can say is WOW.. now this is what 1080i looks like (you get this across all channels ofcourse i know its only upscaled or is it..).i have not yet got the NGC HD activated cant wait to see what that is gona be like. 🙂Very happy. Good job big tv. sk

I got myself the new BigTV - HD DVR setup to my denon AVR, and all i can say is WOW.. now this is what 1080i looks like (you get this across all channels ofcourse i know its only upscaled or is it..).
i have not yet got the NGC HD activated cant wait to see what that is gona be like. 🙂
Very happy.

Good job big tv.

sk

- i spoke too soon.. to get them to activate the HD pack was a nightmare.. i truly belive mindless ppl work at the customer care for big tv. anyway apart from that the big sad news is unless something is worng with my setup.. NGC-HD on big tv is only giving STEREO audio out from the HDMI.. SUN HD is giving the same channel with DDigital.. so its sad story...

sk

lol.BIG tv comes wit BIG problems....we all kno dat. experienced it myself. i dumped it in my warehouse (the normal stb) within 10 days of purchasin it when it launched, though my connection was free for one year. i dindn't give a damn coz all i paid was just 2000rs on this crap service nd was willing to remove this 'dabba' from my home even though it meant a loss of 2000 bugs.....(PS: i already had ts in dat tv, i took big tv just to see the 32 movie channels seeing free movies like jodhaa akbar, which was obviously the first nd last good movie wich they showed for free)...... you can neva Rely on Reliance for consumer products or services.....

- i spoke too soon.. to get them to activate the HD pack was a nightmare.. i truly belive mindless ppl work at the customer care for big tv. anyway apart from that the big sad news is unless something is worng with my setup.. NGC-HD on big tv is only giving STEREO audio out from the HDMI.. SUN HD is giving the same channel with DDigital.. so its sad story...

sk

Dear Gilpa123,

We request you to please share the issue in detail so that we can help you resolve it as soon as possible. You Can also reach us at 1800-200 -9001

Regards
Reliance BIG TV DTH Team

It takes a long time to establish a brand hence I wouldn't go on the first impression but the continuous effort Co's take to satisfy customers.

sk

Dear Gilpa123,

To enjoy Dolby Digital Sound (5.1), you will need a home theatre to get 5 different audio channels which are played out on 5 different speakers even if STB decodes dolby, no TV today have the facility to play 5 different audio channels. Most of the TVs including HD TVs have stereo support only.

Reliance HD DVR STB has dolby parse through capability. You need to connect SPDIF output to your home theatre system to enjoy dolby digital sound.

Regards
Reliance BIG TV DTH Team

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

SAid good bye to big tv , switched back to Tata Sky

Dear Customer,

Request you to please share the issue in detail so that we can help you to resolve the same as soon as possible.

regards
RELIANCE BIG TV DTH Team

Dear RELIANCE BIG TV DTH Team,Thanks for your efforts to resolve my issue, my set up is something like this HD DVR ---[HDMI CABLE]--> DENON AVR {5.1 audio setup with floor standing speakers} --[HDMI CABLE]--Video--> LCD TV 1) I had raided a issue with big tv CC and got a reply that NGC HD is only on Dolby Surround audio and not DDigital.2) This is the same setup i am using for SUN HD which is able to give NGC HD in DD sound.HDMI out from your DVR should also carry the audio, I will try your suggestion to use the spdif out but my thought isthe HDMI cable should be all but enough to carry both sound and video. Any more help from you to help me get DD (if you are transmitting that is!!) would be of great help.sk

Dear Gilpa123,

We request you to please share the issue in detail so that we can help you resolve it as soon as possible. You Can also reach us at 1800-200 -9001

Regards
Reliance BIG TV DTH Team
Its a big Joke from BIG TV DTH Team.."You can also reach us at 1800-200-9001."
I have paid money to upgrade from SD STB to HD-DVR on 20.05.2010 and HD-DVR was installed on 23.05.2010. Then the nightmare started. Till date I have made more than 100 calls (no exaggeration- Avg 5callsX23days) and after that I have lost track how many more calls. The issue is simple my NGC-HD channel was not activated. That is the only purpose why I paid the money in the first place. When you call CC at xxx9001, the ill trained/in efficient staff there just ask you to call 1800-200-9003 as HD issues are not within their reach to resolve. When you contact 1800-200-9003 you will be asked to call 1800-200-9001 after entering smart card No. with a presiding recorded message "Sorry, your account is already active. Please call 1800-200-9001 to talk to one of our executives"
Coming back to this reply of "We request you to please share the issue in detail so that we can help you resolve it as soon as possible" by Reliance BIG TV DTH Team is a standard crap. This I have experienced in SaveOnDish forum. After sending them all the details forget about the resolution, I did not even get a simple reply as to what was their difficulty.
Then you may be thinking, you can write to customer care ID i.e., customercare@bigtv.co.in. You are wrong !!!. They think just by giving an auto reply saying do not reply as this is auto reply and it may take 24 hours to respond is all needed to be done. Yes, that is what you receive in response and no other reply or solution to the problem. (4 Mails in all and same fate for many others as seen in different forums)
As I am writing this post I have been transferred to one Supervisor at 1800-200-9001 and I am listening to the music from 29Minutes and 38 Seconds....and counting....
As usual at 32 Minutes 22 seconds they just hung up. This the standard procedure. When they cannot resolve the issue (which is the case- most of the time) they simply put you on music or say they will transfer the call to their supervisor which eventually will never be answered and they hangup...that is if you are stubborn and do not hangup before that !!!
Do you get the general picture ? Stay away from BigTV rubbish and avoid frustration and disgust with this bunch of incompetent jokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
On 23.05.2010 I got my HD-DVR (after paying Rs 5,990/- for upgradation from standard STB). I was shocked to see the manual supplied with the HD-DVR. It was a small booklet with 3 sheets with one picture of remote indicating buttons and 2 pictures showing the different parts of STB. That's all !!!! I mean there is not a single word on how to record, how to configure Universal Remote (that is one of their main Ad campaign). I went to their site and it was pathetic. You find word Universal Remote once as a heading under FAQ. Check it out at High Definition Advanced Digital Video Recorder.
These are the minor problems compared to what I am going through right now.
About the HD Channel activation :

[*]They have not activated it till date
[*]I have called their Customer Care No more than 100 times (Avg 5 Calls X 23 Days)
[*]Totally ill trained, misinformed, and unhelpful to put it very mildly
[*]Earlier, for first 4-5 calls I use to receive a complaint ID and later SMS saying that "your service request No xxx is closed. Trust the issue was closed to your satisfaction. Thank You"
[*]The service request Nos closed with out actually resolving the issue i.e, activating HD Channel were 127250970(29.05.2010),127420033(30.05.2010)
[*]And finally 128203215 which was acknowledged on 2.06.2010 but not closed are replied till date
[*]The general answer at Customer Care is (1800-200-9001) "please call 1800-200-9003" -as they cannot do anything with HD-DVR issues.
[*]@ 1800-200-9003 you encounter with voice response (recorded) which prompts you to enter your Smart Card No. after which it says "Sorry, Your account is already active. Call 1800-200-9001 to talk to one of our executives" and hangs up
[/list]About Online Customer Care through email i.e., customercare@bigtv.co.in

[*]You will receive a auto reply "We acknowledge the receipt of your mail. Kindly allow us 24 working hours to address your query. You may also get in touch with our 24X7 Customer Service number 1800 200 9001 (toll free) or 022-30338888. This is a computerized acknowledgement; please do not reply to this mail"
[*]That's about it. After 4 mails not a single reply even afer weeks
[/list]Then about Reliance BIGTVDTH Team helping in different forums : They in general post "Dear Customer,
Please share your smart card no and location details will help you sort the issue as soon as possible.

Regards
Reliance BIG TV DTH Team
And after I have posted all these information and more information like my old STB No. New HD-DVR Serial No Location, date of installation, etc., the thread goes dead without a trace.
Installation Team : I am repeatedly calling the installation staff and now they do not take calls from my mobile and landline and do not respond to SMS either.
Show Room Staff at Bangalore : They explained their inability with reference to HD-DVR issues except it's sales. However, they wrote a mail to technical team and promised me they will call within a day or two (10 Days back).
Now about the HD-DVR STB.

[*]looks good sporting all black color with many connectivity options like, Ethernet(RJ45), USB, HDMI, Component,composite, SPDIF ports.

[*]The good part stops there as you do not have any documentation (including their web site) as mentioned earlier for most of the above mentioned connectivity options.
[*]Universal remote looks good and comes without any documentation any where including the DVR (digital video recording part). However, this part is simple and intuition works.

[*]The HD-DVR STB is very sluggish (response)
[*]Hangs pretty often and you will have to pull out the power and put it back
[*]The picture shown on LCD display will vary erratically (1/4 of the screen) etc.,
[*]Component video does not work regularly when HDMI cable is connected. You will have to pull out and put back HDMI cable (Hot swapping) to restore component output.
[/list]Dear Friends this is my First Impressions (shall we call it experience) or rather 1/2 impression as NGC-HD channel (Only channel available on BigTV and suppose to be free for 1 month is not yet activated till date (After 25 days of receipt of payment)
This post is by no means written with any frustration or disgust (Which I am), but an effort to be factual, and a proper indicator for potential customers, to prepare them for what to expect from BigTV.
Many of the things you can verify (I insist at lest BIG TV Executives at Higher level), like Customer Care service at 1800-200-9001/3 or writing to Customer care at customercare@bigtv.co.in you can just check with a dummy message or call. And check out the HD-DVR section-especially Universal Remote section.

Thanks for sharing. That is a pathetic experience with ADAG. They are always like this in all of their services/businesses.

Finally they have activated my NGC-HD channel on 15.06.2010 after 100+calls, 4 mails to customer care many posts in different blogs, repeated calls to installation team.:yahoo:

seriously , the ambanis are running their business like a baniya running his grocery shop.They lack versatlity.Thats why i opted for Tata Sky which is a rip off but not as bad as BIG joke by anil ambani.