Regarding P2P

• Thread starter Thread starter gauravtyagi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,379
Guys how foolish can a person be ....I just got the proof of that...
I am sorry to be wasting your time guys....
I just discovered that it was all along my firewall ZONE ALARM PRO was the culprit... There is a security option in ZA that other computers wont be able to see your computer on the net ...ie. the best security setting ...I had enabled it thinking that its good for security....Although I had given permission to all the apps ie P2P apps to access the net but this option was on ....So even though DC++ was able to connect to the net and I was able to enter the hubs and even get search results i was unable to connect to anybody and got connection timeouts...Also when i did the GRC.COM test I naturally got all ports as stealth .... Then it suddenly dawned upon me to recheck my firewall setting and when i unchecked the option in ZA all my problems were solved....GRC.COM test now showed more ports that were CLOSED and NOT STEALTH .... (CLOSED ports in GRC.COM means that they are useable...) ... So it was good news .... However still some essential ports like 411 for dc++ are still blocked...Can't enter most of the hubs if 411 is blocked....Also the torrents port 6881-6899 are Blocked....So i will try to get these ports opened by my CTO .....Sorry guys it was really foolish of me 🙁 sorry to be wasting your time .....But all those who have tried diffrent clients and ports if you use ZA PRO then be aware that the option "OTHER COMPUTERS WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE YOU ON THE NET" option is disabled...as this option makes it immpossible to accept connections from the net that P2P applications require....best is to disable your firewall completely and ckeck the open ports on the website https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and use those ports for P2P .....those ppl still having problems using P2P please try this it might work..... and NucLear thanks for the info on WINMX will try that....

Here's what's been my experience. I almost always use Limewire for p2p and it works great for me (right now downloading at 9 kBps). I periodically scan my computer for open ports from the GRC website, with my firewall turned off of course 😉 (it tells you to do that on the sire itself if you bother to read). Since the past 2 months or so I've been getting "Stealth" on all the ports, most of which used to be open earlier. But despite this, I've not faced any problems at all with Limewire or Bittorrent the very few times I tried using it.Today I read more closely on the GRC site and found that GRC uses regular ping messages (ICMP Echo Requests) to scan one's computer. And all firewalls naturally have pings blocked, including the firewalls installed by the CTOs. Also I have observed using the netstat command during p2p file transfers, that though Limewire uses ports around 6346 as default, it runs on any random port when connecting to other computers on the net, and it connects to the default port that the p2p app of the other computer on the net is set to. So my Limewire always connects to other computers on the net that run Limewire on whichever port. Plus I am sure I have seen other computers connect to my port 6346 too with limewire running on it so I think limewire doesn't use ping messages to discover other peers.So, what comes out of this is that if GRC says all your ports are blocked, that may no be a reason to be pessimistic because Limewire is working for me on port 6346 even when it is shown as stealth 😉. It might depend on the p2p app you use, whether it uses pings to discover peers, and also whether others not being able to connect to you affects your being able to connect to them.

if Ares is not connecting for u, just go to the "Control Panel" tab and click on "Disconnect" and leave it like that...u may see your transfer starting after a while 😛 ...it works for me almost everytime, so hope it will for u as well...though u can't do any new searches in this way... :mellow:

Originally posted by Bhinder@Mar 31 2005, 09:37 PM
i've got all ports as stealth 🙁 i have the firewall disabled of course
[snapback]7336[/snapback]
[/quote]
Same is the case with me. Its the CTO's firewall.
BTW who is your CTO, Prime Cyber??