Regarding P2P

• Thread starter Thread starter gauravtyagi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 3,385

gauravtyagi

Guys i would like to know if is Sify blocking any p2p apps?...I am unable to use most p2p apps like e-mule....with e-mule i get a high id but cant connect to KAD network......With dc++ i get Connection Timeouts...(This prob started today morning)Torrents dont work at all.......So is this problem prevalent for the rest of india???Dooes Sify has a policy aganist p2p networks??If i want these P2P apps to work what ports should i ask sify to open?Neo if You are reading this...Since you stay in my area could u tell me that if u r facing the same problems too...since dc++ stopped working this morning...Please tell me if u r facing the same probs too..

I also chatted with a sify cust care executive and he @$$ured me that they have no policy aganist p2p apps .....I have attached a transcript of the chat with sify eecutive....If they dont have apolicy aganist p2p then why our apps fail to work??

ha ha they always behave like that stupid answers & every time on chat they don't respond you for a long time by the way gaurav please let me know if they open ports for you i have also the same problem

join the gang 😀ive visited the sify office thrice , metup with their tech teams as well as the cust care , till now , they have sent a few enggs at our places , but refuse to accept the blocking of apps 😀if ure in mumbai ... join us next time we visit the office. Its only when many users can get together ..something will be done.

see dude if u ask me every p2p application u pointed works fine for me.I dont think they are blocking anything.About DC++ obviously if the hub is busy u will get timedout Thou i am not having prob will tht too.Speaking abt torrents connection and speed will mainly depend upon tracker,seeds.

well.. all the above apps don't work for me.. my guess is that they are not being blocked by sify but by the cto

U r absolutely right Bhinder.... these are blocked by the stupid CTO's.Its also sometimes due to the firewalls installed by the CTO's.Try and run DC ++ in p@$$ive mode... it works 4 me!! Kazaa... whenever I click on supernodes (i dont know what they are but...) it starts workin. I got kazaa lite. Limewire works fine sometimes, emule I dont use.

Originally posted by frustrated@Mar 29 2005, 08:17 PM
join the gang 😀

ive visited the sify office thrice , metup with their tech teams as well as the cust care , till now , they have sent a few enggs at our places , but refuse to accept the blocking of apps 😀
[snapback]7239[/snapback]
[/quote]

They probably just block ports, more than they need to. Anyway there are always ways to change the ports used.

i did try running dc++ in p@$$ive mode and it started working fine for me.. but not anymore. 🙁 what i've found is that i can connexct to hubs which use a certain port and i can download just fine but i can't connect to most. 🙁 clear case of port blocking wouldn't you say?

in that case it is........... my CTO has blocked all ports but doesnt kno nethin bout em.... I asked him to open sum n he din know how to though he admits he has a firewall installed. I don wanna fight wit him cuz he is quite efficient.

thanks guys for replying .... i too think that sify doesnt block the apps ...its just port blocking....About dc++ i came to know that If port 411 is open then u can connect to almost all the hubs.....Also some thing new that i found out was that if you use port 23 in TCP and UDP settings then everything works fine.....I have asked sify to open 411 ..Lets see how they respond....If you guys can tell me a range of ports that are necessary for Bittorret to work i can ask them to open.....NeO which gateway do u use?? U at CBD right??

Port 23 seems to work fine with torrents .... can anybody tell me abt any port scanning software then can tell about open ports ....thankx

gaurav just go to https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 and scan ports u want if it says CLOSED then it means that the port is working fine and not blocked by sify and if u put any app listening for connection on that port then grc will show OPEN .

If it shows STEALTH then forget it cto has f**ked u 😛

BTW i dont think they are blocking p2p's , just got few prob yesterday on torrent but everything fine again ..

Thanks power ... I just tried the test and all ports are shown in stealth mode 🙁 except 20 which i was using at the moment .....I got a call from two sify executives from chennai and i cleared it with them that they dont block any p2p apps..They told me that all the ports from their side are open so it is the CTO that has recently installed a firewall and has blocked all the ports ... They Told me to ask my cable operator to allow access to the ports...if he doesnt agree sify will look into the matter....lets see how it goes about

Originally posted by gauravtyagi@Mar 29 2005, 10:18 AM
Guys i would like to know if is Sify blocking any p2p apps?...I am unable to use most p2p apps like e-mule....
So is this problem prevalent for the rest of india???
Does Sify has a policy aganist p2p networks??
If i want these P2P apps to work what ports should i ask sify to open?
[snapback]7211[/snapback]
[/quote]

dude,why dont you use winmx?

I have used it on sify since september 2004,experienced no problems (except for a few days !!) so far.