• Replies Replies 34
  • Views Views 3,424

Sushubh

Admin
Staff member
ISP
Excitel
Airtel
I currently have a pretty old set of 4.1 speakers from Creative. They have served me well but it seems that I have damaged something which is making me consider a replacement finally.

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for the same. 2.1 should be good enough. I am considering not getting a subwoofer this time around because most of my usage is media consumption and not music listening. And my current speakers are giving me a lot of problem focusing on dialogues in movies and tv shows especially since whatever damaged I caused by letting them run at really high volume on very screeching music accidentally.

There is a possibility that some setting change might fix the issue I am facing. But I have literally tried everything. The problem started after Windows 10 2004 update. Though not sure if it is the reason for it. Have tried multiple drivers (latest from realtek website, latest on windows update) but nothing seems to have helped. dialogues are way too soft. background music is way too loud. it's insane to keep on changing volume while watching the video content because of this problem.

This video is a good example.

Source

If I keep the volume high enough for the starting music to not get too loud... I just cannot hear the dialogs when the guys appear on screen.

Turns out I can only hear the guys when both YouTube and my system's volume is at full. But that's insanely loud for the music at the start of the video. Pretty fucked up.

Last edited:
So my story: I had the Altec Lansing ATP3, multiple 2.1/5.1 speakers from Edifier then I had Swans M50W (very good 2.1) I got those for 22k and they are wooden melodious computer speakers. Last year I got the Kali Audio LP6 and boy the difference was day and night! Now I am not suggesting OP to get the Kalis but I will definitely recommend to look into studio monitors/2.0 speakers instead of typical PC speakers/home user 2.1 set up.

My current set is only 2.0 and I don't miss my old woofer. Very happy with the sound! Usage: 100% music/100% movies 🙂

You may look into: JBL/PreSonus/Mackie etc

Source

Source

Source

Upvote 0
For the budget a cheaper 2.1 will do him better, especially if he wants a bit of low end @Rockfella. Entry level "monitors" tend to not be very good, especially something that's 11-12k a Pair. You're coming from a reference point of a 25k pair, that to with 6 inch drivers? Those tiny 3.5inch erises might be good for aspiring DJ's getting into music production, but for someone looking for just plainly entertainment, the jump up isnt worth it, IMHO.

Unless just like you they're ready to at least put in 12-15k per monitor and get a pair of Decent ones (HS5's and the like) and are really invested into good audio and imaging as opposed to just "Media consumption"

Upvote 0
Quick Tip: For those who have eq controls with their media player: Just try to slide up the central channel(dialogue channel), it will emphasize/volume boost the dialogues in the overall mix

Upvote 0
For the budget a cheaper 2.1 will do him better, especially if he wants a bit of low end @Rockfella. Entry level "monitors" tend to not be very good, especially something that's 11-12k a Pair. You're coming from a reference point of a 25k pair, that to with 6 inch drivers? Those tiny 3.5inch erises might be good for aspiring DJ's getting into music production, but for someone looking for just plainly entertainment, the jump up isnt worth it, IMHO.

Unless just like you they're ready to at least put in 12-15k per monitor and get a pair of Decent ones (HS5's and the like) and are really invested into good audio and imaging as opposed to just "Media consumption"
I get your point but the difference I felt from upgrading to LP6 from Swans M50W was so huge I am almost convinced an entry level pair will be better than a typical 2.1 PC speaker. There is something very good about the sound that comes from a single box that houses all drivers VS dedicated woofer and measly tweeters. I gave entry level suggestions because of OP's budget. After watching/listening so many comparison review on YT I don't think "PC" speakers make any sense. You are thinking 2.1 VS 3" drivers.. it is more than just comparison of specs on paper 🙂

Upvote 0
I get your point but the difference I felt from upgrading to LP6 from Swans M50W was so huge I am almost convinced an entry level pair will be better than a typical 2.1 PC speaker. There is something very good about the sound that comes from a single box that houses all drivers VS dedicated woofer and measly tweeters. I gave entry level suggestions because of OP's budget. After watching/listening so many comparison review on YT I don't think "PC" speakers make any sense. You are thinking 2.1 VS 3" drivers.. it is more than just comparison of specs on paper 🙂

I am totally with you on having having 2.0's over any 2.1/3.1/5.1 and other setups. I still feel they're way too gimmicky and pointless. The reason i reccoed the M10s was since its not a true 2.1 (There is no sub, thats a mid-low fill that has to be on the same level as the other 2 speakers) and they do a pretty decent job at what Sushubh wanted to emphasise on. Dialogue and Movies. The Mid-low fill of the M10's does a great job at that.

But if he wanted to actually enjoy music, obviously a pair of 2.0's at 10-15k will offer better imaging, a (hopefully) flatter sound out-of-the-box and a more immersive experience.

No denying good 2.0 Monitors will beat any PC speaker (even those overhyped 20-30k 5.1's) for good audio, but given the budget and his needs, there seems to be little reason to jump to entry-level monitors.

Also, you mentioned you "listened" to reviews on youtube. You know the end product of a highly compressed youtube video/audio is skewed, not to mention you're listening to them on "your" speakers which is two levels of colouring the sound as it wasnt meant to be 🙂

Again, this is in no way me disagreeing with you, 2.0's all the way for me too, i wouldn't be sitting here with Adams if i believed otherwise.

Upvote 0
Listened on MI earphones before buying the LPs/listened to JBL LSR 305s in real too 🙂 The problem OP is facing calls for a true HTIB / AVR 5.1 type set up honestly but that is a diff game and it is not what we can recommend him. There are deals going on M10 .. he should be able to get those for cheap 🙂

Upvote 0
trying to find basic speakers for fufaji who resides in delhi. not many options from creative or logitech.
Logitech Z120 is overpriced right now but realized that Amazon is not delivering it on his Delhi address. But they have no problem delivering it to me here in Gurgaon.
What a mess.

Anyone has any recommendation for a basic set of 2.0 speakers for desktops that I can look at?

Upvote 0
pinged local guy. told me that logi 120 model was selling for 700 before lockdown but logi increased pricing a lot after lockdown.
have asked him to check the current price in nehru place. if it is cheaper than Amazon, would get through him and get it couriered to delhi.

Upvote 0
I don't expect prices to return to normal anytime soon. This is seriously not a good time to get any expensive accessories.

Upvote 0
not a good position to be in when you are running a pc with parts that are quite old and might die anytime in near future. that's me!

my pi's hard disk died few weeks ago and i was lucky to be able to find a cheap portable hard disk for it. crypto is making hard disks an expensive commodity.

Upvote 0