Recommend modem for 8/10 Mbps plans

• Thread starter Thread starter svagyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 7,496
ISP
Local cable-net
My local cablewala's service has deteriorated quite a bit in the last month, and as I also need a higher upload speed, I'm switching to MTNL, the only other choice. This is in Mumbai.

Fibre is not possible. VDSL/ADSL are possible, but the local exchange has no VDSL CPEs to rent. ADSL CPEs are available, but the upfront is 4000 (+ 50 monthly). I'll require a pair/line-bonded connection.

I know the Asus high-end modems like DSL-N66U will do, but I rather not spend that much if I can help it.

So which modems on the market will work with MTNL's 8 or 10 Mbps plans?

Thanks.

Go for D-Link 2750u adsl+ 🙂

Apply for a new line with any basic 2mbps plan. Once the connection is activated:

1. Post your current line stats.
2. If they're ok, apply for a plan change online. Online is probably the best way to get it done quickly.
3. Wait for a day or two. Profit!

The 2750U/W8969 will do just fine.

In fact, if you already have a wireless router, just get a TD8817 to connect to it.

The line bonding thing will not be needed if your line is good enough.

Now, the cons:
1. If you're line isn't good enough, you'll have to live with 2/4mbps
2. You'll need to keep the plan with which you buy the new line for at least month. So no 8mbps till then.

All this is assuming that they aren't giving you a new line with 8mbps without line bonding.

I want atleast 2, preferably 5 mbps upstream. So the modem has to support that. 2750U only does 1 mbps according to its specs.

Apply for a new line with any basic 2mbps plan. Once the connection is activated:

2. If they're ok, apply for a plan change online. Online is probably the best way to get it done quickly.
3. Wait for a day or two. Profit!
Here is my line stats, what you do recommend? 8mbps plan would be good for me? If yes which router should I opt for the present MTNL's Wi-Fi router does the job but doesn't work that well. Very bad range and a little unstable at times.

P1YVMs1.png

@demonicult
Yes. Looks decent enough to me. Apply online at selfcare.mtnl.net.in

Get the TP-Link W8968. Good modem router combo.

@svagyan

You're not gonna get 5mbit upstream on ADSL. Expect around 1.5mbps. The W8968 supports up to 2mbps up.

Get the TP-Link W8968. Good modem router combo.
Many recommend buying a good wired modem router and connect that to a wireless router.
This combo of course comes expensive almost double the price of a wireless modem router.

But does that benefit a lot in performance? Any recommendations on that type of combo?

TD 8817 is the standard modem them. Costs around 1k.

As for the wireless router, what is your budget and how much area do you want to cover?

Tbh, having used both, the only advantage of using a separate modem is redundancy. If it fails, simply buy a new modem. Performance is more or less the same.

My local cablewala's service has deteriorated quite a bit in the last month, and as I also need a higher upload speed, I'm switching to MTNL, the only other choice. This is in Mumbai.

Fibre is not possible. VDSL/ADSL are possible, but the local exchange has no VDSL CPEs to rent. ADSL CPEs are available, but the upfront is 4000 (+ 50 monthly). I'll require a pair/line-bonded connection.

I know the Asus high-end modems like DSL-N66U will do, but I rather not spend that much if I can help it.

So which modems on the market will work with MTNL's 8 or 10 Mbps plans?

Thanks.
Asus DSL-N10E router
using it wit h airtel 8mbps flawless. ensure to upgrade to latest firmware

I took your advice and opted for an Xpress plan.

I've been given a Binatone CPE.

Here's my stats.

SNR Margin: 34.1 42.0db
Line Attenuation: 20.2 7.6 db

I think those look good. VDSL worthwhile?

Not sure about VDSL. But you're good to go for the 8mbps plans

@kickass might shed some light on whether you should opt for VDSL.
Iirc, it requires you to terminate your connection and opt for a fresh VDSL one.

^ first need to disconnect your adsl.when tht is clear u can apply for vdsl. only opt for vdsl if u r <1km from the exchange(1km by wiring length not actual distance) wiring length is ard 1.5x-2x mostly or a bit less of actual distance. if u are >1km dont bother with vdsl. vdsl is extremely stable for distances <1km ard 5min downtime max or none in last 3-4 mnths. there are timeouts on google search tho. everything esle is perfect. i jus use a VPN so no timeouts issues for me.
also adsl stats are nto applicable for vdsl.

Last edited:
Not sure about VDSL. But you're good to go for the 8mbps plans

@kickass might shed some light on whether you should opt for VDSL.
Iirc, it requires you to terminate your connection and opt for a fresh VDSL one.

Hi this is my signal statistics. Currently using a 699 combo plan. You think i am good to go for higher Mbps plans with these stats? Thanks 🙂

AfxcIkf.png
']
AfxcIkf.png

Last edited by a moderator: