Recommend a router for Cable Internet Broadband

• Thread starter Thread starter Narcos
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Views Views 3,599
ISP
MTNL
Hello Everyone,

Just joined the forum. I have been using MTNL as an ISP for past 10 yrs. Decided to make a change as I'm not very happy with it.

I tried getting Hathaway but they do not provide service in my area, hence had to contact the local operator who provides "cable internet".

The person said I cannot use my Linksys ADSL modem & would need a DSL modem for this, is it true?

Can someone please give me a few choices of good quality modem that would be suitable for this so called "cable internet? Does it work via Ethernet cable?

Fwiw, what are the questions I should be asking this service provider regarding speed consistency UL/DL?

He's quoting 7500rs for 2mbps unlimited & 4 Mbps 10k inclusive of wiring (don't know what wiring he's talking about) Per Year.

Thanks in Advance for your replies...

Last edited:
Per year?

Hmmm... there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the various terminology used here."Cable internet" is actually the one that Hathway uses, also referred to as DOCSIS, it is internet provided over coaxial (cable tv) wire. The operator, I would assume is your local cable tv guy, he would provide cable using ethernet cable? I dunno, most do that. If it is that, then you will not require a modem, but a router instead. In any case, ADSL and DSL are the same thing, ADSL in fact is the old school variety of DSL, like you currently have from MTNL, the newer one is VDSL.

So, please clarify from your local operator just how exactly does he intend to provide internet, before you go out and buy something that you may not need at all.

Hmmm... there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the various terminology used here."Cable internet" is actually the one that Hathway uses, also referred to as DOCSIS, it is internet provided over coaxial (cable tv) wire. The operator, I would assume is your local cable tv guy, he would provide cable using ethernet cable? I dunno, most do that. If it is that, then you will not require a modem, but a router instead. In any case, ADSL and DSL are the same thing, ADSL in fact is the old school variety of DSL, like you currently have from MTNL, the newer one is VDSL.

So, please clarify from your local operator just how exactly does he intend to provide internet, before you go out and buy something that you may not need at all.
I'll clarify this & get back

why would you pay for a whole year without testing it first like for 3 months ?

speed really depends upon your location, check with other lco too

Ask your lco which modem/router he is providing and for how much

Last edited:
FTTH isn't really required for 100Mbps, but ofcourse would be preferred. Case in point is Excitel, they do it via the LCO.

yeah but still excitel has not managed to cover even all parts of Delhi, so that kind of speed is available only in few areas specially at reasonable price