Rebooting modem

ISP
bsnl
I am using a 600 plan of bsnl broadband. i wanted to reschedule my modem for the night usage purposes.but the term that found everywhere was "rebooting the modem".Does this mean that i have to keep the modem on and till the time scheduled it will be connected to the internet and transfer bytes or will it be disabled n switched on at the time given during the rebooting process.the problem i was facing is that i switch on the modem at about 12 in the night and from 12-2 data transfer is there automatically n i lose my usage around 100 MB. so could u pls help me in this.

Please mention your mode of connection. PPPoE or Bridge ?

You can automate the whole process. If in Bridge mode, use two batch files for dialing and disconnecting. You can also try this scheduler (works in both PPPoE and Bridge).

Auto-connect Download scheduler « PC-Gyaan

actually the software helps in rebooting the modem in an always on connetion. mine is similar to that. is there any way u can make an always on connection to a one using an username and password. so i can connect and disconnect when i want. or else can the same be made in an always on connection that is both connecting and disconnecting manually

You can try Bridge mode (also known as dialer mode). ID and password is entered in dialer and you need to click " Connect " to connect to internet. And use two batch files (search " batch file method " in this forum). Simply use the scheduler to run connect.bat and disconnect.bat at desired times.

If using JDownloader, you will get option to record your reboot sequence (which you manually do) and mimic it when there is a change in IP. JDownloader is useful for direct downloads like link-removed and you can reboot the modem in PPPoE mode itself.

This might look a bit complicated. If yes, try bridge mode and batch file method. Very simple and precise.

----------

To change to bridge mode, simply log in to your modem using 192.168.1.1 and change the 0_35 entry in internet connection / WAN and edit it. You will find an option to switch between Bridge and PPPoE.

----------

Mention your modem - model and make

Check the sticky post " WA3002G4 Quick reference " (Similar UI).Go to the WAN page of modem, click " edit" for the VPI/VCI 0_35 entry. In the very next page, you will find an option to select bridge mode instead of PPPoE. Change it, thats all.To be safe, take a back up of your modem settings and save it in your PC before trying things on modem menu.

Is there anyway to reboot the modem without the help of 3rd party softwares, and just using scripts? Wa3002G4, PPPoE.

^ You can try Telnet Scripting tool. You will need to write the script for rebooting the router though. Its basically logging to the router via telnet and then issuing a reboot command.The script looks something like this .. but its different for various routers/modems.So you will need to play around with it to reboot your router.192.168.1.1WAIT "Login: "SEND "admin\m"WAIT "Password: "SEND "admin\m"WAIT "> "SEND "reboot\m"

I developed my own reboot script. works in pppoe mode itself. i usually hibernate my pc and using a software called wake up on standby i wake up my pc at around 2:10 am and the software has an option to run reboot script. Here is the link:
Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire
modify the script as given in prashant s post

Nice Sanjay. Care to mention which all modems are supported ? And a few screen shots and feature detailing may help too. You can either start a new thread of give details here.

I own a WA3002G4 modem. goto:Reboot adsl modem or router using telnet script ~ Prashanth Speaks-Technology and Life
for wa3002G4 the script for siemens sl2 modem works well in windows. for other modems just check out the link.
If u want the linux reboot command for wa3002g4, here it is:
#!/usr/bin/env expect

set username admin
set pass admin
set host 192.168.1.1

spawn telnet ${host}

expect -re "Login:"
send "${username}\r"

expect "Password:"
send "${pass}\r"

expect -re "->"
send "13\r"