Re-use of BSNL underground optical fiber for connecting villages with FTTH

• Thread starter Thread starter shree_bn
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 6,759
@Sushubh Could you please enable the personal chat for me? It would help me to sync up with @Sai to resolve the internet challenge faced by our Village.. Thanks!

@Sai I don't think I could get the Personal Message feature enabled. If discussing here does not spam others, please help me regarding the AirFiber cnnection.

@Sai I think as of now hardly 8-10 customers are interested but we are spaced apart. Cable is not feasible and due to terrain challenges LoS can be an issue for all customers. But I am ready to get the Air Fiber connection even if there are no other connections nearby. My place is feasible with LoS but only thing is 14km by air from the transmission tower. If the antenna cost comes under 15k I am ready to take it (as I have other equipment like ethernet cable and wifi router), but not sure how rain, distance and weather impacts the throughput and speed. As per my research ubiquity LiteBeam 5ac Gen2 / powerbeam 5ac gen2 would suffice right?

I have FTTH through LCO who is my acquaintance. He told me he takes fiber in bulk and cost about 5k per KM. He has Syrotech olt which cost about 30k.

I can suggest you three approaches. For these three options I can send my local franchise guy to setup the whole thing and maintain.

a. BSNL Airfiber with free calling and TV (Yupptv Scope)
b. BSNL FTTH with free calling and Yupptv scope app.
c. Private FTTH with voice calling and IPTV.

a. BSNL Airfiber:

If the tower was close by, say 5-6kms, I would have guaranteed network availability. 14km with the terrain of Sringeri can be really tricky. Do you have any hill nearby where we can make a mini tower and do a PtP link from the main BTS?. From that hill one can make PtMP. How far are each homes?.

Don’t expect franchise to invest money from his pocket and maintain. It’s not financially viable with BSNL. Setting up BSNL Airfiber with one 120 degree sector antenna from Ubiquiti, Mikrotik LAN Switch, separate power backup (don’t trust BSNL for backup), wiring and labour will cost ₹1,00,000. Customer side cost extra. Powerbeam will cost ₹11,000 or so. Litebeam ₹7000 approx. If you can find 20 customers or so, you can get network for ₹15-20k per customer. This will work 24*7 during rain too. Have Airfiber at our farm somewhere in Mangaluru. Zero downtime.

b. BSNL FTTH:

Since there is a exchange without tower, this can be explored as well. A good OLT will cost ₹150,000 or so. Cables ₹10 per meter for the 4 pair ones. ONU of decent quality ₹2000. Splicing machine I , OTDR extra, electricity pole annual fees to be paid to electricity supply company @₹100 per pole per year extra. Ftth will work out if there are like 100+ customers in a 5-6kms road distance and willing to pay ₹10-20k each.

BSNL is recommended only if your region has stable power supply. Though we can put dedicated ups for franchise side equipment, we can’t do anything for their CPAN. If that goes down your network will go down.

c. Private FTTH

If your area has any Airtel tower or any other private tower/UG backhaul nearby (except Jio), we can explore private FTTH option from reputed Class A/B ISPs through franchise route. The quality of network will be ten times better than BSNL. Native iptv can be availed as well.

@Sai ,
Thank you for the detailed plan.
Regarding 2nd 3rd options, local telephone exchange is decommissioned and except the UG OFC, no other equipment is present there. Our plan was to re-use the cable for. FTTH without setting up a local franchise but passing the connection from main franchise, through the UG cable till the decommissioned exchange point and bearing the cable cost from that point to our homes. However that has some legal complications where in BSNL cannot provide UG OFC to FTTH franchise even for passing the connection to our village from main point.
Homes are spaced apart from 300m to 1km also.
3rd option is ruled out as there is no non jio and non bsnl tower atleast within 5km.
1st option is the only hope but spending 10-15k per customer could be tricky for 20+ customers for Air Fiber. So probably it is narrowing down to 4-5 customers who are ready to spend 15k for air fiber but majority except me lack LoS from main tower.
Terrain is the biggest challenge for both cable and LoS.

They can give bandwidth till the exchange using UG backhaul and at that point you have to put separate OLT and then overhead OFC. Tell this to your area SDE/JTO and to district GM. If they do drama, I’ll give contact details of PGM CFA BSNL Karnataka and CGM BSNL Karnataka. Get in touch with them. They will gladly do it.

Does Sringeri town has any private ISP ?. And how far is this place from Sringeri town?.

@Sai I spoke to Bsnl JTO today and he told the same plan. If we get enough connections (20+) in our village, they can bring a franchise to the decommissioned telephone exchange and install OLT through them and get the IG OFC backhaul ready till that telephone exchange.
My place is around 6Km from sringeri.
I discussed about air fiber as well but he told air fiber performs poorly in mist and rain so many customers are surrendering the connection. I am not too sure about the actual performance as I am getting mixed feedback about air fiber.

20 customers @ 599 a month or 10 customers @ 999 a month - how much does a customer spend should be the criteria rather than the number of customers to bring a franchise.

@Sai I spoke to Bsnl JTO today and he told the same plan. If we get enough connections (20+) in our village, they can bring a franchise to the decommissioned telephone exchange and install OLT through them and get the IG OFC backhaul ready till that telephone exchange.
My place is around 6Km from sringeri.
I discussed about air fiber as well but he told air fiber performs poorly in mist and rain so many customers are surrendering the connection. I am not too sure about the actual performance as I am getting mixed feedback about air fiber.
Ubiquiti LiteBeam 5AC Gen2 & PowerBeam 5AC Gen2. Using from six months at our farm house. This area has hundred + users. Absolutely no problem at all. I don’t know about the performance of other brands, but Ubiquiti is the holy grail for wireless internet.

Hello bro,
to your information I'm a TIP Franchisee.

Cable 4Core costs 8500 Per KM. 2Core Fiber costs only 6500 Per KM.. your can lay your own cable or buy and get it laid by your LCO.. if people in your village will get at least 10 connections, the Netlink ONU costs max 2K.. with voice and wifi.. so all of you take 4K installation charges, where 2K goes towards your modem... and remaining 2K goes to the cable for 3KMS...

if you lay the cable within a day.. next day you can ask the local LCO to give connection in both cores of Fiber.. Split it on your village across people..

BSNL Exchange wont give you fiber access.. even if they have.. they always will ask you to pay rent for using these cables per year.. will be more costly.. if line cut occurs on the way to your village.. you can ask cable TV persons to join those cables and pay 100 per splicing. it will cost your 300 (2 Core Splicings - Rs.200 + fiber enclosure box Rs.50 + Rs.50 for petrol.) so it wont cost you much to maintain.

let me know your thoughts. i can share contacts of cable vendor and ONU vendor.

Sometimes I feel cellular network tower will work best. If you have carrier aggregation , you get 4G+ which can reach upto 50 Mbps (in my personal test result).
Many phones don't have carrier aggregation.