• Thread starter Thread starter Smile
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 19
  • Views Views 37,844

Smile

Entertainment
ISP
DSL
Hi all,Now I am in Kerala. Surprised to notice that only S FM is using RDS system.Because of No Malayalam Fonts in my Mobile I am not able to read their Messages !!What about other S FM Stations around India?And in my experience S FM is the most powerful station. In Thrissur only S FM is available in far areas. (comparatively better)Anyway, none of them covers 50 kms in normal conditions. Smile, now @ Kerala

RDS?Never heard of any station making use of that stuff! 😛

RDS means Radio Data System

a simple way to identify RDS station: Radio Station Name will be displayed automativcally in RDS enables receivers such as Mobile Phones, Car Stereos etc.. While tuning other stations only their frequency will be displayed. But in RDS enabled stations they can air any such messages which listeners can see it.
Most car radios nowadays have RDS (Radio Data System), .... RDS works with FM radio and automatically selects the strongest signal available for the station ...

I use Sony Ericson mobile K800i, which shows RDS command highlighted while selecting S FM, inactive for all other stations. The radio name also getting displayed, but I think they use Malayalam, because the diaply is not proper in my mobile, it appears as junk characters.

There are lot of other specialties of RDS, more details about RDS available here

Smile @ Kerala

This topic is of my interest. I have been observing the RDS stations available. I could only see Suryan FM in Chennai transmitting RDS. But again, not much info is available. In Bangalore, Fever FM tranmits RDS. However they have switched off their RDS transmitter for the moment. RDS is yet to be fully explored to its potential. Of course, not many of them know about it yet. If interested, take a look at Radio Data Systems a.k.a RDS Chozha

Yes, RDS was earlier used by SFM. I did receive a different character in mobile as may be the fonts are not available. But Fever 104 FM did a RDS tranmission. I use to receive a letters: FEVER 104, instaed of the Frequency numbers in my mobile. But guess now both the stations has switched off the RDS tranmission as no info is displayed on the mobile. But one more thing, What is Visual Radio which is avaialble in Nokia models. Radio Mirchi has Visual Radio enabled. Did anyone getting the information about the songs being played or will be played as next track in their mobile?

But one more thing, What is Visual Radio which is avaialble in Nokia models. Radio Mirchi has Visual Radio enabled. Did anyone getting the information about the songs being played or will be played as next track in their mobile?

Yes, this works.

AFAIK it's currently enabled for 98.3 FM (Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata) 🙂

RDS as Smile wrote displays messages on your radio. It can be Station name called PS or Program Serice, PTY - Program Type and RT - Radio Text. There is also Auto Clock Time through RDS stations - your radio clock can be set with this serice.PS displays the station name.PTY displays the type of programme and in adanced radios like Sangean WR3 or Hi-Fi tuners you could search for the type of station you want to hear - you want Pop Music - select RDS mode to Pop Music and press search /seek. Lo it locks on to a station that is transmitting Pop Music. Of course it must be RDS station with PTY enabled. In RT info like news, song details etc. are displayed. This is similar to Teletext.My key 'we' is not working - need to check. So in many places that alphabet is missing.😢

Yes, RDS was earlier used by SFM. I did receive a different character in mobile as may be the fonts are not available. But Fever 104 FM did a RDS tranmission. I use to receive a letters: FEVER 104, instaed of the Frequency numbers in my mobile. But guess now both the stations has switched off the RDS tranmission as no info is displayed on the mobile.

But one more thing, What is Visual Radio which is avaialble in Nokia models. Radio Mirchi has Visual Radio enabled. Did anyone getting the information about the songs being played or will be played as next track in their mobile?

Visual Radio is a service to run visuals in parallel to the FM Transmission. For example, the RJ can conduct a competition asking the listeners to identify the album name etc from the list of choices available as visuals. I guess you require GPRS/Internet connectivity and the station needs to support it. You can check Visual Radio - Redefining the Radio Experience for further details on the supported stations etc.

This topic is of my interest. Here in Karnal (haryana) Radio Mantra 91.9 Fm is using RDS . In Fm receivers which support RDS Mantra is displayed instead of 91.9 FM

I dont have any idea about mumbai radio stations using RDS, cos i m appx. 1500 km away from mumbai. But in Delhi some stataions are using RDS and i m 125 km from delhi and i receive Rds signal from delhi fm stations

Radio Mirchi 98.3 in Thiruvananthapuram using RDS.:thumbsup: