Rate the Dish TV experience

karthikblr111

ISP
Sify
Hi All, Need your suggestion. I am currently a Tata(Sky subscriber. I, however, like the number of channels that Dish TV has to offer, as Tata(Sky has limited number of channels on its platform. I want to know if the experience with Dish TV has been good for those of you who are already subscribers of Dish TV. Also, if there is anyone out there who has been with both Tata(Sky and now with Dish TV, please share your valuable feedback about Dish TV's performance in relation to Tata(Sky. Please help Thanks in advance

If you are a movie and music maniac then Dish allways has a edge over tata and big. Also it does offers all old good channels in maxi pack. Only miss is with the recentely launched new channels like colors, firangee, utv, bindaas. Video and audio quality experience is same for me, as i have experienced he both.

No of channels - 6 out of 10 - Better than Tata SkyAvailability of new Channels - 2/10 - This is the main draw back of Dish TVCustomer Support - 5/10 - No DTH operator's service are good. Every one deserves 5 onlyPicture Quality - 6/10 - Not as good as Tata Sky

Hi All,

Need your suggestion.

I am currently a Tata(Sky subscriber. I, however, like the number of channels that Dish TV has to offer, as Tata(Sky has limited number of channels on its platform.

I want to know if the experience with Dish TV has been good for those of you who are already subscribers of Dish TV.

Also, if there is anyone out there who has been with both Tata(Sky and now with Dish TV, please share your valuable feedback about Dish TV's performance in relation to Tata(Sky.

Please help

Thanks in advance
I am a dishtv subscriber and based on my experience,
Dishtv has more number of channels then any other platform and as compared to Tata Sky they have more music and movies channels internation channels and more regional channels in their maxi pack and that too at very economical cost as compared with tata sky. Yes their are certain new channels which are not available but i hope they will be their very soon.

Quality wise both are same hardly any difference.

Hi All,

Need your suggestion.

I am currently a Tata(Sky subscriber. I, however, like the number of channels that Dish TV has to offer, as Tata(Sky has limited number of channels on its platform.

I want to know if the experience with Dish TV has been good for those of you who are already subscribers of Dish TV.

Also, if there is anyone out there who has been with both Tata(Sky and now with Dish TV, please share your valuable feedback about Dish TV's performance in relation to Tata(Sky.

Please help

Thanks in advance

Hi there
I have been using both dish and Tata Sky from the last 2 years, in both i had maxi packages, both costed Rs 300, few months ago, tata removed few channels and reduced the price of the package , now i am using super saver pack in Tata that costs Rs 260 per month,

Following tata's footstep's dish tv also from this month has removed cnbc channels from its maxi pacakge , now to get the same one has to pay an additional fee of Rs 25,

I still and using both tata and dish services, i plan to switch to bigtv, but hearing about the no of issues that are there, i have put the plan on hold,
in some of the forums people have given good feedback regarding aritel dth that is in teat phase and will be launching shortly.

If you are not in a hurry to switch u can hold on and wait for videocon and airtel launch,

Recharge wise i have never had any issues, i do recharge both for dish and tata online on their website through credit card and never faced any issues.

In tata u will get all the latest channels like colors , which is yet to be launched by dish or big tv

Hi Guys, Thanks a ton for all your suggestions. I didnt know Dish TV is slow in launching new channels. Appreciate all your help

My experience with DTHI had dishtv for the past 2 1/2 years.I had subscribed to maxi package.a few months after subscribing my std gone dead due to some moisture.I submitted the stb for repairing at the local dish care centre.As they could not repair it they sent the box to their noida centre where in after repeated enquiry for a few weeks they said that it was some moisture spillage problem,and since it was due to my mishandling it does not come under warrany and they could not provide any replacement and all the reparing cost will be borne by me, and that they are trying to repair it.As there was nothing i could do i patiently wainted for over 2 months ,repeatedly phoning them.After they were unable to sort the problem,they send the box back unrepaired.The service center guy then referred me to a private expert who repaired the box in 1 day and charged me 200 rs. At that time there was no other dth operator except fta service of DDDirect.And since i live at a farm ,cable is not available.So during the time i was waiting the stb to be repaired ,i purchased a fta stb for DD.So overall the dth service is okay,mass hindi channel quality being good.English channels from rival star are more compressed compare to their own. My stb did give me problems 2 times.but they were quickly repaired by the last mentioned expert.It did have one major problem when the dishtv tried to upload a new firmware via satellite.It was hanged in midway and rendered functionless.This time i contacted the dish service centre as the problem was due to dishtv.The service center was changed and the new guy rudely told me that i will have to pay to get the stb repaired.I complained to their head office and explained that the problem was due to firmware ,they gave in and requested the service center to do what was needed.Again i have to go back to that rude person.After playing with the stb for about half an hour his engineer could not bring the stb to load the firmware.There in he sited the problem as being previously repaired.I took the stb from the service center and went again to the private expert , who again was able to load the new firmware with the active services. So i now have the stb with new software where the user interface was changed.it became teribly slow.tp editing capabilities were taken back. I continued with dishtv since i did not want to spend again a few thousand to try Tata Sky as the channels were the same,may be quality was a little better due to less compression.Now since last week my STB died (this time the death is final as even the expert is telling me that it makes no sense to repair as it may cost great more and then there will be no guarantee) Today i contacted the dishtv CC and enquired about replacement.They said that it would cost me 1490/-Now I would like to start fresh in DTH.I don't want to go back to dishtv due to my experience with their Service1.Also they don't have all the new channels.I am considering TataSky and BigtvTataSky is giving me 0% 6 month Emi on my Hdfc and icici credit card.So it will cost me 666 per month for 6 month to watch their super saver pack for 13 months.plus for credit card payment they are providing Lifestyle gold and active gold package for 4 months,after that they will cost 40 and 30 respectively.There is no EMI facility in Bigtv and i have learned of bugs in their stb(slow channel change )Also their service is notorious.So what do you guys think?According to me ,DTH space has reached a juncture where you can try Dth service of one operator for a year.Ditch that operator next year ,as the initial cost and complete package cost for a year has become almost same.Continue that till fibre is laid to your premises and real iptv arrives.

My experience with DTH

I had dishtv for the past 2 1/2 years.I had subscribed to maxi package.
a few months after subscribing my std gone dead due to some moisture.I submitted the stb for repairing at the local dish care centre.As they could not repair it they sent the box to their noida centre where in after repeated enquiry for a few weeks they said that it was some moisture spillage problem,and since it was due to my mishandling it does not come under warrany and they could not provide any replacement and all the reparing cost will be borne by me, and that they are trying to repair it.As there was nothing i could do i patiently wainted for over 2 months ,repeatedly phoning them.After they were unable to sort the problem,they send the box back unrepaired.The service center guy then referred me to a private expert who repaired the box in 1 day and charged me 200 rs.
At that time there was no other dth operator except fta service of DDDirect.And since i live at a farm ,cable is not available.So during the time i was waiting the stb to be repaired ,i purchased a fta stb for DD.
So overall the dth service is okay,mass hindi channel quality being good.English channels from rival star are more compressed compare to their own.
My stb did give me problems 2 times.but they were quickly repaired by the last mentioned expert.
It did have one major problem when the dishtv tried to upload a new firmware via satellite.It was hanged in midway and rendered functionless.This time i contacted the dish service centre as the problem was due to dishtv.The service center was changed and the new guy rudely told me that i will have to pay to get the stb repaired.I complained to their head office and explained that the problem was due to firmware ,they gave in and requested the service center to do what was needed.Again i have to go back to that rude person.After playing with the stb for about half an hour his engineer could not bring the stb to load the firmware.There in he sited the problem as being previously repaired.I took the stb from the service center and went again to the private expert , who again was able to load the new firmware with the active services.
So i now have the stb with new software where the user interface was changed.it became teribly slow.tp editing capabilities were taken back.
I continued with dishtv since i did not want to spend again a few thousand to try Tata Sky as the channels were the same,may be quality was a little better due to less compression.

Now since last week my STB died (this time the death is final as even the expert is telling me that it makes no sense to repair as it may cost great more and then there will be no guarantee)

Today i contacted the dishtv CC and enquired about replacement.They said that it would cost me 1490/-

Now I would like to start fresh in DTH.
I don't want to go back to dishtv due to my experience with their Service
1.Also they don't have all the new channels.

I am considering TataSky and Bigtv
TataSky is giving me 0% 6 month Emi on my Hdfc and icici credit card.So it will cost me 666 per month for 6 month to watch their super saver pack for 13 months.plus for credit card payment they are providing Lifestyle gold and active gold package for 4 months,after that they will cost 40 and 30 respectively.

There is no EMI facility in Bigtv and i have learned of bugs in their stb(slow channel change )Also their service is notorious.

So what do you guys think?

According to me ,DTH space has reached a juncture where you can try Dth service of one operator for a year.Ditch that operator next year ,as the initial cost and complete package cost for a year has become almost same.Continue that till fibre is laid to your premises and real iptv arrives.

Hi Maxibig,

Looks like you have had terrible problems with Dish TV. I dont think you will have such problems with the STB with Tata(Sky. Their technology is good as far i as what i have heard about the other DTH service providers. Considering my own example, i have been with Tata Sky for a year now and i have had just one problem where some of the channels used to get stuck up like it usually does when playing a CD that is all scratched.

I called the customer care, the engineer arrived and solved the problem in 15 mins. After that i havent had any problems with Tata Sky. As far as service is concerned, i have had a good experience with Tata Sky.

Have you already taken Tata Sky? If not, you can go for it. I feel it will certainly be better when comapred to the kind of experience you have had with Dish TV.

But you will not get as many channels as Dish TV offers, on Tata Sky 🙁

Hi Maxibig,

Looks like you have had terrible problems with Dish TV. I dont think you will have such problems with the STB with Tata(Sky. Their technology is good as far i as what i have heard about the other DTH service providers. Considering my own example, i have been with Tata Sky for a year now and i have had just one problem where some of the channels used to get stuck up like it usually does when playing a CD that is all scratched.

I called the customer care, the engineer arrived and solved the problem in 15 mins. After that i havent had any problems with Tata Sky. As far as service is concerned, i have had a good experience with Tata Sky.

Have you already taken Tata Sky? If not, you can go for it. I feel it will certainly be better when comapred to the kind of experience you have had with Dish TV.

I think it's a matter of luck and choice too , i have a dish tv stb for over 3 years and its switched on 24x7, haven't faced any issues till now, nor i have heard, many issues regarding STB for dish or tata, but bigtv STB has lot of issues, both model 1 and model 2, have problems and current users are having a hard time

Hi Maxibig,

Thanks for the input,Karthik.
Yeah i also come to the conclusion that at this moment,atleast for me,Tata Sky makes the right choice.as i will be paying 666/- per month and will get the super saver pack for 14 months plus Lifestyle and eductainment pack for 4 months.
As for no of channels in dishtv they don't have those which i want like colors,utv movies,etc.
channel content of bigtv is most promising,those which i wish on tatasky will be Firangi and Etv MP.
Channel constraints on most of the Dth providers will be even as Mpeg4 players have 6-7 Transponders max and mpeg2 players tata and dish 12 and 10 respectively.
Unless Dishtv gets its Protostar1 soon(it has got into some legal troubles,if sorted it will have another 14 transponders,it will be King then in terms of channel count.),there is going , more or less,to be a level playing field for the dth operators.