Raspberry Pi 2

Got it on recommendation from @Nishant and @vedantlath. Vedant helped me install and configure. Right now it's able to connect to VPN and download torrents. I also plan to use it to keep the Reliance Broadband auto-login script running 24x7.

Amazon.in: Buy Raspberry Pi 2 - MODB - 1GB - Quad core Online at Low Prices in India | Raspberry Pi Reviews & Ratings

TJTCAuTh.jpg

XToVsVbh.jpg

jNirhX5.png

haha. i already have too many things requiring a power socket here... i am going to burn the power socket someday!

Also if you are going to use the pen drive only on Pi, format it using Ext4 file system. Linux handles Ext4 much better than FAT32 or NTFS. Also, FAT32 has a 4GB size limitation per file. Avoid using NTFS file systems on linux. The SATA HDD which is connected on my Banana Pro board is formatted using Ext4 file system.

NTFS will actually be much better on a pen drive cos you can remove it and plug it to a Windows computer too. Linux works fine with NTFS using the ntfs-3g driver. With ext4 you will have to try some utilities to read the data from the pen drive (if you plug it into a Windows computer that is).

NTFS is better than FAT because it has journaling so there's a much lower chance of the filesystem getting corrupt. OTOH it isn't as portable, it might not work if you directly connect the pen drive to your TV or other consumer electronics.

Essentially, if its easy to connect the storage media back to a Windows computer, use NTFS or FAT.

Right. NTFS is definitely a better idea if you're going to use the drive on a Windows system or a TV. Also, from what I've read is that NTFS-3g is a resource hungry module. Wouldn't that affect the overall performance of the pi?

Pi 2 has a quad core CPU so I doubt the performance impact will be noticeable. It also won't have I/O heavy workloads unless you also use it as a media streamer.

If you need top-most performance without caring about comfort then ext4 is best.

btrfs is a good choice if you want to use nice features like (atomic) snapshots, RAID, etc.

How is the Youtube performance from Rasbian. For me Youtube works well when using Kodi (even in 1080p) but playing Youtube from a browser in Raspbian slows the whole system down.

Awesome @chromaniac.

I got a OSMC running on Rpi2, have 1TB segate connected to it, and 24x7 torrent. However not using a VPN on the same right now as then I would loose peer bandwidth that alliance offer.

OSMC looks nice. So you are using Pi as your media player? Isn't it underpowered to be used for that?

Does not play x265 properly, rest it plays beautifully even while downloading in the background. I got this connected to my AV receiver, and have played BD as large as 40gb without a hitch.

hehe nice. i am using bittorrent sync to sync the finished downloads to my pc for watching.

I'm using transmission on the rpi. I also use a Remote Transmission ++ Chrome extension to add torrents to the rpi directly without downloading the file. I got samba running on the rpi, so I also use the 1TB as a network storage. 🙂

I can't get Samba to work with my W10 install. Tried literally everything. Even managed to break Winsock on my computer and I do not think I repaired it properly. Remote Transmission accepts magnet links so you can just copy paste the text without using any browser extension. You can of course also configure Transmission to detect new torrents from a folder on the Pi to add to the queue. Using an Android app to manage torrents because the UI of the remote transmission app is hideous. Sync automatically copies the completed downloads to the folder on my PC so that is pretty cool. I am currently downloading on a cheapo 32GB pen drive. It is working well though the transfer speeds are on the lower sides. 1TB is the lowest storage you can get for a reasonable price so had no choice but to order one as some torrents I download are of sizes larger than 30GBs 😛

I suppose I can try streaming from the portable hdd when I get it. I wish Pi 2 had a gigabit port 😀

Aha, I got a torrent folder set to automatically pick up downloads. Copy pasting magnet links is also too much to do, with the extension I just right click on the magnet or normal link and select add to transmission and it gets added, no copy paste, nothing. 🙂