Rapid download speeds on Google play

ISP
Airtel
I have an 8mbps Airtel connection. However, surprisingly when I download apps or update them on Google play, they seem to take very less time. A 30MB update which should take around 30 secs finishes downloading within 10 secs. And this is really good. Other browsing/torrents speed is 8mbps only though. Any reason as to why the downloads from Google play are so much faster?? Or do they just seem to be as I'm not exactly sitting and timing them? Does seem much faster though.

That is because the updates are smaller in size than the full app.
When you install a new 30MB app from Google Play, full 30MB is downloaded.
But when you install an update to 30MB app, only 12-15 MB or even less is downloaded - it varies from app to app.

Caching is what I thought. I don't think apps give sizes of what they'll be after installation. I think they're sizes of the file being downloaded.
Are you sure for updates, the whole app isnt installed? If that were the case the apps wouldn't be deleted while updating would they? Try tapping on the app after download is done while updating and when it shows installing and it says this app isnt installed.

Size mentioned is installer size.
Downloads are delta updates. The installer is small coz they only download the changed part of the installer. Google does the same on desktop for Chrome on Windows. Updates very fast compared to Firefox and others. Read about delta updates.

Yes. And since those are delta updates, you rarely notice the background download!