Raise minimum broadband speed to 2 Mbps: Microsoft

• Thread starter Thread starter Crazysah
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 33
  • Views Views 9,027
Talking about increased speeds - I have a feeling, normal browsing gives similar experience be it 512kpbs or 4mbps. Someone talked about you tube, It could be temporary thing these days, but I have a 4mbps connection here and still youtube sucks. Unless these servers are hosted nearer to Indian ISPs they won't give you benefits of increased speed.I go to IBNLive videos, Rediff videos - they go full throttle at 4mbps (They are probably hosted in india). Go back to youtube and it sucks.Also, in normal browsing experience I have seldom seen websites using more than 600-700kbps. Well the point is unless your are a heavy downloader you dont really need these speeds. Well if you are a downloader, what are you downloading anyways..?? 😉Piracy being so uncontrolled in india, I think having these lower speeds is actually a blessing in disguise.

Rubbish. Youtube works perfectly fine on my 2mbps connection. Something is probably wrong with your browser.Are you saying you are a saint and have never downloaded anything pirated? If so, good for you. But saying ISP's in India dont wanna lynch us, they just wanna prevent piracy.....thats going too far.

Something is probably wrong with your browser.
Right ! I think it might be my OS :-D Just in case, you tube does support HQ and HD these days. Ever heard of them ?
But saying ISP's in India dont wanna lynch us, they just wanna prevent piracy.....thats going too far.
Now that's called reading too much in the lines with good imagination skills 🙂 Or apne bhasha mei bole to "chor kee daadi mei ... "

Would the situations might have changed if we had Dayanidhi Maran as our IT minister?

Actually Dayanidhi Maran was the one who made MTNL and BSNL to offer ADSL service way back in 2005. At that time MTNL/BSNL babus used to give BS excuses that their last mile copper network is not good enough for ADSL broadband connections. Since his family runs a huge media empire consisting of Sun Direct DTH also, he was tech savvy enough to run the telecom ministry of the government.

I have a feeling that compared with A. Raja, even someone like a Lalu Prasad Yadav or Rabri Devi could have done much better job as a telecom minister.

Someone talked about you tube, It could be temporary thing these days, but I have a 4mbps connection here and still youtube sucks.
Youtube works perfectly fine on my 2mbps connection. Something is probably wrong with your browser.
Well, 360p youtube videos can be streamed without buffering on a 2Mbps Speed but for 480p you require minimum 5Mbps and 720p requires 12Mbps and for watching 1080p you require bare minimum of 20Mbps as even said by the youtube developers.🙂

Well the point is unless your are a heavy downloader you dont really need these speeds. Well if you are a downloader, what are you downloading anyways..?? 😉

Piracy being so uncontrolled in india, I think having these lower speeds is actually a blessing in disguise.
What if I work from home and have to attach some heavy files and send em off to a colleague? Is piracy the only reason to have less speed?
What if I have to do something which is legal and requires high bandwidth... I am ready to shell out more... 2K for 2mbps a month is that really too much to ask?
Should we throttle development of the Internet in terms of bandwidth hungry applications (read streaming movies or the like) in order to avoid piracy ??

Pirated disks are available on the streets the concept of lack of bandwidth to tackle piracy is absurd.

Also, for the record, I asked for a speed increase before Microsoft :rofl:
https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/47079-2009-and-we-still-stuck-256kbps-broadband/

Well throttling speeds just for the sake of fighting piracy makes no sense. Every other day the local cable channels are airing hall prints of movies which are released maybe a few days back. Obviously they are using the pirated discs. What action has been taken against the local cable operators who are playing pirated CDs ? As my friend above just mentioned that pirated CDs/VCDs/DVDs are available on the streets at dirt cheap prices. What action has been taken against them ? Even better...What action are taken against the firms that issue such pirated CDs and release them in the market ? Even better....What action is taken against the people who record movies from a theater and release them within a day of the movie release ? And there are several producers and directors who let people download their movies for free. There are several websites which lets netizens download movies for free legally. So don't we need a high bandwidth ??So the bottom line is : Throttling speeds for stopping piracy may be a good move but not the best one.

Talking about increased speeds - I have a feeling, normal browsing gives similar experience be it 512kpbs or 4mbps.

Someone talked about you tube, It could be temporary thing these days, but I have a 4mbps connection here and still youtube sucks. Unless these servers are hosted nearer to Indian ISPs they won't give you benefits of increased speed.

I go to IBNLive videos, Rediff videos - they go full throttle at 4mbps (They are probably hosted in india). Go back to youtube and it sucks.

Also, in normal browsing experience I have seldom seen websites using more than 600-700kbps.

Well the point is unless your are a heavy downloader you dont really need these speeds. Well if you are a downloader, what are you downloading anyways..?? 😉

Piracy being so uncontrolled in india, I think having these lower speeds is actually a blessing in disguise.

I'd say that Piracy is almost equal domain of Internet and the blokes on the streets selling copied DVDs. That. Excuse. Is. Lame.

If your 4mbit/s connection is not sufficient for Youtube, it is more likely a routing problem at your ISP, and they most likely do not peer directly with Google (which they should). Googles CDN does exist in India, your ISP just needs to buy bandwidth from the right place to get good speeds.

Well, 360p youtube videos can be streamed without buffering on a 2Mbps Speed but for 480p you require minimum 5Mbps and 720p requires 12Mbps and for watching 1080p you require bare minimum of 20Mbps as even said by the youtube developers.🙂

Those numbers are bollocks.

What if I work from home and have to attach some heavy files and send em off to a colleague? Is piracy the only reason to have less speed?
What if I have to do something which is legal and requires high bandwidth... I am ready to shell out more... 2K for 2mbps a month is that really too much to ask?
Should we throttle development of the Internet in terms of bandwidth hungry applications (read streaming movies or the like) in order to avoid piracy ??

Pirated disks are available on the streets the concept of lack of bandwidth to tackle piracy is absurd.

Also, for the record, I asked for a speed increase before Microsoft :rofl:
https://broadband.forum/hayai-broadband/47079-2009-and-we-still-stuck-256kbps-broadband/

I've been told by everyone - Tata, Reliance, Bharti and even HNS - that offering higher speeds whereby companies won't have to purchase a dedicated line is going to piss some people off - not because of the higher speeds or anything, but because they'll find it harder to justify charging 1 lakh per month for a 1 or 2mbit/s "dedicated" or "business" line.

Frankly speaking, I've seen the quality of these dedicated lines at some companies in Mumbai and despite having an SLA, they were down as much as any consumer connection I used. YMMV, however, and (shameless plug) I hope that we'll see a migration of businesses on to my service once it's fully up and running (/shameless plug).

Personally I think 1mbit/s per seat for business is about roughly adequate, but a minimum of 10mbit/s for any business - especially, for example, a web development company. But before this even happens, the price in India needs to come down, as Rs60,000 for such a line (available from Tulip) although cheap compared to the others, is still unacceptably high.

Well throttling speeds just for the sake of fighting piracy makes no sense. Every other day the local cable channels are airing hall prints of movies which are released maybe a few days back. Obviously they are using the pirated discs. What action has been taken against the local cable operators who are playing pirated CDs ? As my friend above just mentioned that pirated CDs/VCDs/DVDs are available on the streets at dirt cheap prices. What action has been taken against them ? Even better...What action are taken against the firms that issue such pirated CDs and release them in the market ? Even better....What action is taken against the people who record movies from a theater and release them within a day of the movie release ?

And there are several producers and directors who let people download their movies for free. There are several websites which lets netizens download movies for free legally. So don't we need a high bandwidth ??

So the bottom line is : Throttling speeds for stopping piracy may be a good move but not the best one.

The same thing happens in Eastern Europe (that is: pirated movies shown on TV channels - cable or not), and they have plenty high-bandwidth in most of those countries.

Part of the reason that the guys distributing CDs/DVDs etc don't have any action is probably because none of them get caught... whether through police laziness or otherwise, the guys are essentially anonymous.

All that said and done, US copyright law DOES NOT APPLY in India, and in reality Indian copyright law is such that Indian law enforcement is only obliged to prevent or prosecute the piracy of Indian media. They don't have to give half-a-damn about foreign works. But the low-bandwidth-because-of-piracy is, in my eyes, merely an excuse, and a lame one at that.

Airtel (of all companies) is beginning to take a step forward with their 30 and 50mbit/s plans (where available), but they are still priced *way too high* for your average Raj to afford. At half the price, they're still profitable - even based on my wholesale prices, and since they own the international cables, probably even more profitable than I imagine.

I don't think there will be network upgradation will be require to provide 2 mbps speed. Our policymaker and government could not visulize the business potential and economic growth occured after increasing internet speed. In my opinion high speed internet will increase efficiency, create more business opprtunities, help in country economic growth. Unfortunately our policymakers are not understanding the importance of internet in our daily life. Take a example of rail ticket reservation, due to our poor connectivity 1 ticket reserve in at least 30 min,Our online banking is not very much used,our e-commerce is very negligible done,If we have high speed internet at reasonable price then certainly all will get benifited, people as well as ISP and government.

I don't think there will be network upgradation will be require to provide 2 mbps speed. Our policymaker and government could not visulize the business potential and economic growth occured after increasing internet speed. In my opinion high speed internet will increase efficiency, create more business opprtunities, help in country economic growth. Unfortunately our policymakers are not understanding the importance of internet in our daily life. Take a example of rail ticket reservation, due to our poor connectivity 1 ticket reserve in at least 30 min,Our online banking is not very much used,our e-commerce is very negligible done,If we have high speed internet at reasonable price then certainly all will get benifited, people as well as ISP and government.

To be honest, the last mile is fully capable of 2mbit/s in almost every urban area. The last mile needs no upgrading.

But therein lies the argument which I've harped on about so much: price. Whether Microsoft realizes it or not, the price of 2mbit/s unlimited (where available) are still way more expensive than most people are willing to pay.

When 2mbit/s unlimited actually does come down to under rs1000 per month as a standard price, then said speed should be made standard. The policymakers in government can only do so much about the regulations without also doing something about the maximum price for wholesale bandwidth. If not for international connectivity, then certainly the peering costs.

Before anything else, I would probably call for the abolishment of per GB pricing at NIXI - with the spare money we could raise our interconnecting bandwidth from 10, 100 or 1,000mbit/s up to 10gbit/s or more, and in turn I'm sure we would reduce stress on international links (which have plenty of spare capacity anyway) and raise the overall speeds available within India.

Then everyone could offer a product not dissimilar with ours - say 2mbit/s international, 100mbit/s within India... I know it would affect our pricing reasonably nicely.

Thanks for the explanation mgcarley, can't wait for your co.'s services to hit my city!

Thanks for the explanation mgcarley, can't wait for your co.'s services to hit my city!

My friend from Finland just moved home from Chandigarh a few months back. Sounds like an interesting place. Hopefully Chandigarh is easier to roll out services than Mumbai.