Rain water dripping into PC from sify cable

• Thread starter Thread starter Mahesh1
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 4,881

Mahesh1

ISP
Airtel 128kbps unlimited
I usually disconnect the lan cable when it rains and today morning thats exactly what i did. Shocked to find that rain water had crept into the cable and was dripping from the ethernet port. I told CC in the morning but CTO hasn't bothered to check-up.If went undetected the water could have screwed the motherboard.Check the sify connecter if it has rained in your place.FIX: STRIP THE CABLE 4 INCHES BEFORE THE CONNECTER. EXPOSE ATLEST 3 TO 4 INCHES OF THE CABEL AND WRAP IT WITH A COTTON. MAKE SURE THAT YOU STRIP THE FULL SURFACE OF THE CABLE. TIE THE WRAPPING WITH A THREAD SO THAT IT HOLDS ITS PLACE. THE COTTON WILL SOAK THE WATER BEFORE IT REACHES THE CONNECTOR. BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE CABLE MAKE SURE ITS DRY.

Alternative :lol: i hav lots of free time)

avinds, i hope your alternative involves striping the cable. Because if you don't the water WILL have no problem in traveling upwards. This is due to the constant supply.Does anyone know if water can dameage the lan-card/motherboard.Has any1 faced this problem before.

if the wire is nearly vertically(|) , then i dont think water can move upwards , i hav tried this

😱 The depths to which Sify can plunge is shocking. And in their Terms and Conditions they absolve responsibility for everything!

Originally posted by avinds@Jun 29 2005, 10:17 PM
if the wire is nearly vertically(|) , then i dont think water can move upwards , i hav tried this
[snapback]14185[/snapback]
[/quote]

The cable was vertical when i checked it this morning. Water moves upwards just like in any hose pipe. Since the the rain water keeps creaping into the wire it will have absolutely no problems in raising vertically. Just like a hose pipe connected to a running tap.

Originally posted by Mahesh1@Jun 29 2005, 11:28 PM
creaping into the wire
[snapback]14210[/snapback]
[/quote]
i didnt take that into consideration as i thought that wud never happen

if it happens i wud use it to water my plants... 😛

One protective plastic cover on that switch maybe properly installed cables and we wouldn't be discussing this...

alternative...move to the upper floor so that ur height is more than that of the electric pole the wire is hooked up on...it'll be impossible then 😉 😀

I remember that water used to come from the tv cable which had screwed my old tv. hence i shall be careful this time with my pc.

Originally posted by coolbuddy_79@Jun 30 2005, 08:09 AM
alternative...move to the upper floor so that ur height is more than that of the electric pole the wire is hooked up on...it'll be impossible then 😉 😀
[snapback]14251[/snapback]
[/quote]
It could yet reach through cappillary effect 😉

My previous CTO used to have his switch in some protective housing because it was on the roof exposed to all the elements of the nature. But I don't know whether it was rain-proof because i'd taken the connection after the last monsoon passed by.