Railwire powered Internet at Railway Stations

• Thread starter Thread starter alphaomega
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 4,130

alphaomega

ISP
BBNL ( 10 Mbps, Unlimited )
I had been to the city railway station at Bangalore to check the very first WiFi hot spot provided by the Indian government under the Digital India banner.

The WiFi is detected as open. Once you connect to it and access a web page, it redirects you to the Railwire website. Once you share your mobile number, you immediately get an sms with a password. This enables 30 minutes of free WiFi. After this duration, you need to get recharge vouchers to continue browsing available at a shop setup for this purpose ( however it was closed the day I was there). There are no options to pay for recharge over the Internet via payment gateways.

The speeds are varying. I got download of 1.7 mbps and upload of close to 1 mbps. The WiFi is detected virtually every where in the station.

282dc45ffde6804accfeee4aed7dc748.jpg

1eb6fc6905c85d948cb55a77607ea336.jpg

18f4115fbcf5bcddf0f37c1a503596d1.jpg

5550a0cb37eb89c2b07c2e1a29826fe5.jpg

Last edited:
This facility is available at New Delhi Railway station too. Recently tried it there.

I did not take the screenshot of the speed test but I was getting around 4Mbps.

@invader 4 mbps is relatively very good. Was it implemented by Railwire or BSNL?

I wasn't able to watch any YouTube videos with the speed I got at the railway station. Moreover, strangely Speedtest app was searching for suitable server and for long did not come up with one. Not sure why.

That's the reason I had to download other speed test apps.. 🙁

Were there recharge vouchers available?

No idea about that. I tried it at night at around 11 PM. Most of the shops have closed in the platform. I will look around next time.