Railwire LCO and his control over my ONU Router, Is it Mandatory?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rahul.H
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 14
  • Views Views 6,026
ISP
Railwire
I just got Railwire Fiber Optic Service and as always I login to LCO provided ONU wifi router and then I deleted the route mode created by my LCO and setup the Bridge mode and connected it to my Dual Band Netgear Router, Everything was working as expected but when I reboot the LCO provided ONU wifi router it's revert back to the route mode which is my LCO created setup in beginning so I called him and he said it's auto managed from his side so he can remotely help me if any config problem arrive there in router and if I still want then he can set up the bridge mode. Is your LCO's working the same way as mine?

If he's ready to enable bridge mode for you from his end, ask him to do that. I would think that the last mile config would vary from LCO to LCO and there wouldn't be a standard as such.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response, Yes I have that option to ask him to do it but I am curious to know and a security purpose why I don't have the control to do that my self and even more I did a hard reset on his provided router so I can set it up my self from scratch but still all the setting he did comes back. Also there are some settings which I did like change from NAT Type 4 to NAT Type 2 for gaming purpose applied successfully and didn't revert back after reboot which is good but when I enable UPNP and replace Railwire default DNS to Google DNS or Open DNS always revert back. Anyone have any idea how he can still manage the setting in router even after the hard reset?

Upvote 0
@Rahul.H The OLT is configuring your ONT remotely. Everytime it is turned on, desired settings are synced by the OLT at LCO's premises. Some LCOs do this, some don't. It enables LCOs to troubleshoot remotely so they don't have to visit your place

Upvote 0
@PawanKumar Thanks for the perfect explanation. Do you know any way to stop this OLT to configure my ONT remotely so I can do the setting the way i want because I just don't want to request them every time to enable or disable features in my own router where it's really hard to get them on call sometime and I work mostly at night time when they are 100% unavailable to fulfill my request.

Upvote 0
JioFiber users :

first time.webp

Upvote 0
@Rahul.H I don’t think there’s a way, if there is, I’m not too sure. I have BSNL and my LCO doesn’t have this remote configuration thing, so I don’t have any experience with it. You should talk to your LCO and tell him the settings you want to change, so he can do something at the backend where this configuration happens.

Just to confirm, unplug the fiber cable and restart your ONT, see if the settings come back. This way you can make sure if the configuration is pushed by OLT (which I think is the case) or it is happening in ONT. You can determine next steps based on this.

Upvote 0
The LCO configures everything with a TR-069 port right ? Maybe disabling that configuration button on your end should work fine

@Rahul.H Btw what is your ONT make ?

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with my Railwire connection. I talked to my LCO and told him that I want to use it in bridge mode and disable wifi. He made the changes to my profile on his end and now it always remains on bridge mode.

Upvote 0
@shashankb I have already tried disabling the TR-069 still same but the good thing is it's stays disable even after reboot, Anyway, My ONT Model 👉 Syrotech-GPON-1110-WDONT (1GE+1FE+1POTS+WiFi) Dual Antenna and I really like this ONT but it only have 2.4 Ghz wifi which didn't go over 100 Mbps speed but luckily on LAN port 2 I get complete 200 Mbps download and upload speed and port speed is also 1 Gbps. LAN Port 1 didn't go over 100 Mbps and in status also it shows port speed 100 Mbps, I don't understand is it a problem or this ONT company designed these ports that way, But anyway now I setup the connection in Route mode and provided static IP ( 192.168.1.2) to my Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 router and everything is working fine as I am able to use 5 Ghz wifi without any speed drops on all my devices but still I think ONT Bridge mode to Router is proper way to avoid confliction between 2 routers.

@PawanKumar Thanks for the idea, This is really good way to confirm if OLT Pushing the config to ONT, I will update asap on it.

@kRuSnIk Glad to hear you got what you wanted but in my case it's not about whether the LCO will create the Bridge mode for me or not but to find out how I can create that Bridge mode my self and if in case I want to go back to route mode later whenever I want and do whatever the tricks I like to do in routers, It is just about my own control on the ONT.

Upvote 0
I just got Railwire Fiber Optic Service and as always I login to LCO provided ONU wifi router and then I deleted the route mode created by my LCO and setup the Bridge mode and connected it to my Dual Band Netgear Router, Everything was working as expected but when I reboot the LCO provided ONU wifi router it's revert back to the route mode which is my LCO created setup in beginning so I called him and he said it's auto managed from his side so he can remotely help me if any config problem arrive there in router and if I still want then he can set up the bridge mode. Is your LCO's working the same way as mine?
BTW which ONU they're providing in your area? And could you please let me know the pricing as well? I mean all the charges you had to pay, and one more thing, is there any cable charges?

Upvote 0