Railwire for gaming (PS4)

ISP
RailWire
So i got Railwire and i am happy with the download and upload speed. When i try to connect my Playstation 4 it gives me NAT Type 3 which is the restricted connection. The goal for console gamers should be to receive NAT Type 1 or NAT Type 2. Does anyone here use consoles like xbox or ps on railwire? What NAT type are you receiving?

Last edited:
Ok it looks like majority of the IP addresses that Railwire assigns are blacklisted. Everytime i visit a website i am greeted with solving captchas. This means that most of the websites detect them as suspicious IPs. It is no different in Playstation. When i got Railwire i was able to connect to PS4 and now i am not even able to do that. Playstation keeps blocking our Railwire IPs (system detects them as suspicious) and i am greeted with ws 37397-9 error. I will update this thread once i find the solution.

EDIT: I found a solution for this problem. Go to Page 2 to see my post.

Last edited:
I got used to it. Earlier it was very frequent. Better now.

Same problem here, guys. Using RailWire and almost all the time I get this "WS-37397-9" error code on PS4, when signing in to my PSN account, accessing PS Store etc., I also get Nat Type 3 whilst testing the connection. When I try to sign in to my PSN account from PC I get "Access Denied" message on this website:
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

The captcha solving thingy also pops up in some websites every once in a while. It is really annoying. Someone on the PlayStation forum suggested that getting static IP provided by the ISP will solve the online problems on PlayStation 4. I called RailWire customer support this morning asking for static IP and they said, it is only given to SME access users not for Home access (which is what I use, Unlimited Plan 4 Mbps) users. Can't find any solution to this. Need help!

If the static IP they allot is blacklisted, that won't help as well.

Same problem here, guys. Using RailWire and almost all the time I get this "WS-37397-9" error code on PS4, when signing in to my PSN account, accessing PS Store etc., I also get Nat Type 3 whilst testing the connection. When I try to sign in to my PSN account from PC I get "Access Denied" message on this website:
https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/

The captcha solving thingy also pops up in some websites every once in a while. It is really annoying. Someone on the PlayStation forum suggested that getting static IP provided by the ISP will solve the online problems on PlayStation 4. I called RailWire customer support this morning asking for static IP and they said, it is only given to SME access users not for Home access (which is what I use, Unlimited Plan 4 Mbps) users. Can't find any solution to this. Need help!

So i found a solution for "WS-37397-9" error. In order for this to work you need to connect your router to PS4 using an ethernet cable. Finish the setup for wired internet connection on your PS4 like you usually do. Since railwire assigns us dynamic IPs Playstation doesn't block all of them in a given day. When you turn on your ps4 and couldn't go online (due to WS error) try to restart your router. This will give you a new external and local IP. Wait for 3 minutes and find out if the playstation can connect to the internet (click on Friends list on your account or go to PS store to see if you are online). Do not setup a new connection or test your connection settings on the PS4 as this might lead to an error again. Since the connection is wired it should go online automatically if the IP is not blacklisted. If restarting your router doesn't help you go online try to restart it again (rinse and repeat till you go online). It usually works in 1 or 2 tries for me.

Make sure that your IP changes every time you restart your router. If you are assigned a blacklisted static IP then you are out of luck. There is no solution to solve NAT type 3 problem in PS4 for Railwire users because Railwire blocks all the ports required by Playstation. When i spoke to their customer service they told me that it won't be possible for them to unblock the ports. However when i tested the ping times on games it is better compared to BSNL.

Let me know if my solution solved your problem.

Same issue here.. I've had this problem for the past 6 months.. NAT is type 3. Also the error WS-37397 pops up.. Your solution just solves the sign in issue . As long as the NAT type is 3 we won't be able to play multi-player.. The way you could solve it is to get a static ip(according to railwire it opens all ports). It's close to 2k per year. Will getting a static ip solve the NAT type problem? I can get the ip unblocked from Sony (if the static ip has been blocked by sony)

Railwire is even worse. They give the same dynamic IP to a set of users. But yes, Railwire gives dynamic IP. Your IP will change once you restart the router or when you lease time expires.

Same issue here.. I've had this problem for the past 6 months.. NAT is type 3. Also the error WS-37397 pops up.. Your solution just solves the sign in issue . As long as the NAT type is 3 we won't be able to play multi-player.. The way you could solve it is to get a static ip(according to railwire it opens all ports). It's close to 2k per year. Will getting a static ip solve the NAT type problem? I can get the ip unblocked from Sony (if the static ip has been blocked by sony)

Well i am not sure why you aren't able to play multiplayer as i have no problem playing it myself. Although NAT type 3 is a restricted connection you should be able to play multiplayer just fine. But it takes much longer to find a game and you might experience lag in a few games as well. The only way to get NAT type 2 or 1 is by opening ports and railwire will not accept our request to open ports. Even the BSNL connection will give you NAT type 2. What game are you trying to play online?

I was going to get a static IP but railwire told me that they stopped offering static IPs for home users. They offer a static IP only if you buy their enterprise plans which are way more expensive. And even then he told me that the ports will be closed and they will not open them.