Railway rules: E.g. Sleeping time and window/fan closing time? etc.

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 131,994
Abt smart ticket program, yes i had heard that long back. Also RAC system also tries to makes sure that female and male dont end up on same seat unless they are travelling on same ticket.

Again I had a contradictory experience regarding above point. My wife was given RAC with some one else and I with another person. Luckily person with me didn't journeyed, so I called my wife to my birth.

Its a best fit algorithm. Not a hard and fast algorithm.First come first serve principle applies.You both bought ticket. It gave you both a seat.Another guy bought ticket, system gave him seat next to you.Now only seat left is next to ur wife.Another guy books the ticket, he gets the only seat left.

Well. If she books a ticket the last moment. Then she wud get only seat that is available. In such cases algorithm does not apply. Thats obvious.

I don't think so. It's basically bcoz of station quota. That particular boggie and berth were for raipur quota only. Also gal was carrying confirmed counter ticket while guy was having e-ticket. So she must have booked ticket from counter long back. May be the guy would have gt that berth in wait list clearance.

Also article clearly says that this algorithm is applied only when woman is alone.

Not when its 2 or more person.

Its a best fit algorithm. Not a hard and fast algorithm.

First come first serve principle applies.

You both bought ticket. It gave you both a seat.
Another guy bought ticket, system gave him seat next to you.

Now only seat left is next to ur wife.
Another guy books the ticket, he gets the only seat left.

How? All wait list passengers are allocated RAC simultaneously while chart is prepared. So, same ticket person should be given common berth under RAC. Algorithm seems to quite absurd by separating family members from each other and putting them with unknown in RAC. Also it's highly unfair to allocate RAC to a female with a male if they have a night journey.

Well if there are odd number of females. whatever be algorithm. the last women will always end up with man.Also there are too many complications. Its not simple to make algorithm that suits all.Its a best fit algorithm with first come first serve as priority. There is no guarantee.Think like a mathematician and u will get answer.

Well if there are odd number of females. whatever be algorithm. the last women will always end up with man.

Last time when i booked ticket there was only two male (including me) in compartment of eight.

There certainly is a rule. 9PM to 6AM is the sleeping time. you can call TT if MB and UB passengers dont leave your seat and let you sleep

Great where is it written? Any source?

Website contains lots of rule and regulations and quite informative too. You must read once. And it's good that this topic was raised. Many of us will get lots of clarification.

Website contains lots of rule and regulations and quite informative too. You must read once. And it's good that this topic was raised. Many of us will get lots of clarification.

Here is a shocking rule!!!

CANCELLATION OF RESERVATION DUE TO LATE ARRIVAL OF PASSENGER :
If a passenger, for whom a berth or seat has been reserved, does not turn up up to 10 minutes before the scheduled departure of the train, the Railway Administration may cancel the accommodation reserved for him and allot it to the passenger on the RAC list/Waiting list accordingly on priority.

10 minutes before departure???

Has to be some mistake. It must be "within 10 minutes after departure".

But even then I had heard about 2 station rule. This 10 minute rule is little absurd.

Well.. things are too chaotic in our country for that 10 minute rule to really work, but I guess its put more as a defense in case the TT does reallocate due to non appearance when the train is moving & then the passenger appears.But these really raises a question. I / family-relatives often travel from Bangalore, we book the tickets from Bangalore, which would be main station, but board at Cantonment which is 10-min distance after train starts. If this rule is really applied, then things really go for a toss for people like us.