Railway rules: E.g. Sleeping time and window/fan closing time? etc.

• Thread starter Thread starter amish
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 47
  • Views Views 132,038

amish

Star gazer
I got banned!
ISP
MTNL Mumbai BB_600 @12mbps
I suppose those of you who travel in long distance train already figured out my questions. Because its likely you also have similar question.

Even then let me try to explain.

Question 1: Sleeping time.

For reservation 3-tier class. During daytime lower berth (LB) acts as a seat for 3 people and in night time, same acts as a sleeping bed for one.

My normal sleeping time is around 10PM. It often happens that I have a lower berth (LB) and people on middle berth (LB) and Upper berth (UB) do not sleep till 11:30 or 12. In which case I have to stay awake till they decide to sleep.

My question is what is railway rule? When can I ask them to get up so that I can sleep?

Update: Answer:

For this question. Found the answer here for:
http://www.indianrail.gov.in/reservation_Rules.html (credit post by [post=694566]pratikr[/post])

When berths are reserved for passengers, the intention is to provide sleeping accommodation between 9 PM to 6 AM. During 6 AM to 9 PM, the passengers concerned, if required make room for other passengers in compartment up to its carrying capacity.

Question 2: Window/fan closing at night

During winter when u travel to northern states, its often very cold. Esp. for Mumbai people.

Sometimes a passenger OWNING a lower berth insists that lower berth window be kept open whole night because he does not feel that cold.

Sometimes fellow passenger even insists on keeping fan on.

This becomes a direct threat to other person's health. If u fall sick then it can spoil ur whole trip or even spoil ur business plan.

So my 2nd question is does railway has rule about windows and fans, in this regard?

Who has right to decide whether to keep window open or closed?

OR does railway has any guideline on how to to decide if to keep window open or closed? esp. at night time.
Like if temperature is below 20deg then passenger can demand that window or fan be closed?

Same way if I am "already" sick but forced to travel for some reason. Can I legally ask fan/window to be closed even during day time? (i.e. if i can prove that i am sick)

I guess the only way out is to exchange seats or ask tc for any empty seat where you get your peace.

Thats not always possible. These days trains hardly go empty.TCs also dont have time to resolve issue between two passenger.Hence there needs to be a rule or guideline.

that is the thing. no one has the time or the interest in applying a rule that would not be followed by people traveling in the train.

i do not travel in train that much but people are generally cooperative if you tell them you are not feeling well. exchanging seats with someone in another cabin also works out fine.

but of course, you might end up dealing with douchebags at a regular basis and little can be done about it.

also... did you know that Indian Railways ticketing program is designed to prevent girls from getting seats around a bunch of boys/men? 😀

Yes, mostly people are cooperative.But 1 out of 10 considers that once he has a seat, he can do anything.If there is a rule, u can call a police or TC and force him.Abt smart ticket program, yes i had heard that long back. Also RAC system also tries to makes sure that female and male dont end up on same seat unless they are travelling on same ticket.

right. cops would be interested in interfering with a group of teenagers playing antakshari on a long train journey and tell them to go to sleep. the concept works on courtesy. if they make a legal rule out of it, more people would land in jail for trying to have a fun filled train journey.

what i mean to say is that i understand the problem you are explaining here. i am just not in the favor of stupid rules enforcing me to sleep at a specific time. they already shut down lights at predefined times and that alone ensures that most people shut up and lay down to sleep/rest.

antakshari at 11pm??? i suppose in that case it wud not just be me but many others!infact i dont get disturbed by sound or noise. i can sleep even in such cases.all i want is let me lay down on my seat.u can do whatever u want to do by going to ur own sleeper seat.also i was not talking abt kids or teenagers.its abt a person who does not want to sleep so does not want to get up from his sitting seat and keeps claiming its his sitting seat... blah blah!

There really is no rule, nor is there any courtesy anywhere while traveling by trains. I have been a victim more often than not, and some of the things I have mentioned below would have been experienced by many people.1) You have a reserved seat and you want to sleep in the afternoon, but no, that is inconvenient because people want to sit, so you have to wait for others' approval.2) The air from the fan barely comes through to the lower berth, and so you open the window, but then the middle berth guy claims he is getting air from the fan also and feeling cold.3) You have a side berth and are the sorts with a high BP and so need air, but someone else has a problem because it is coldThankfully, I do not have to travel a lot nowadays, and the last time I travelled by train was more than 5 - 6 years back.

hehe, u are reporting exactly opposite complaint!but a rule or guideline will solve both our problems.For 1st case. You have to consider others. Where will they seat if u want to sleep in day time? Because sitting in middle or lower berth is highly inconvenient because u have to sit with bent back.For 2nd case u can ask middle guy to come to ur seat. Since both of you have problem, i suppose both will understand mutually. U get fan. He gets to keep window closed.2nd and 3rd are more or less 1 and same issue.

Yes and that's why like Sushubh said it has to be mutual. I have had such bad experiences when I wanted to sleep in the afternoon but could not because people wanted to sit. I (still) can't sleep unless I am lying down. Heck, I did that once lying between the two berths so that people could 'sit' and I could sleep. Those idiots of course that I was rude. Sure as hell I was, after paying the same price for the ticket, I was lying on the floor and they were sitting in my berth.

A simple guideline that:
1) If mutually acceptable then u can sleep anytime.
2) But if not then u must go to ur sleeping seat after say 11PM and till 8AM.

1) Guy with lower berth does not have OUTRIGHT RIGHT over window
2) Window can be opened at stations or when train is stationary.
3) Window can be kept open or closed if mutually acceptable
4) Otherwise if temp is below 20 deg, window must be closed or if temp is above 30 deg window must be opened.

I mean there has to be such guideline.

NOTE: Numbers I gave is random.

@agantuk. urs is possible off-case.. i am talking abt normal case. normally noone sleeps in day time.

just like u have paid for seat. they have paid too. so u cant ask them to get up from their seat.

what u cud do is go to upper berth and sleep there.

also... did you know that Indian Railways ticketing program is designed to prevent girls from getting seats around a bunch of boys/men? 😀

I don't think this system is working properly because few days back I was returning to Mumbai from raipur is Howrah-Mumbai mail and just opposite berth of me were one young gal and one boy.

When everyone slept at 11:00. PM, their introduction and chat started and finally they trapped each other and ended with hiring common Taxi after alighting at dadar station. (party time for both of them) 😀

Well. If she books a ticket the last moment. Then she wud get only seat that is available. In such cases algorithm does not apply. Thats obvious.