• Thread starter Thread starter SVK
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 5,876

SVK

twitter.com/svknet
ISP
Jio Fiber, Airtel 5G
Finally... Radio channels back on Airtel Digital TV. Not sure how many really enjoy this service, its available for free 🙂
Airtel Launches 21 FM Channels On DTH Service Digital TV - MediaNama
Bharti Airtel has launched iRadio, a service on its DTH platform with 21 FM Channels, and at no additional cost. 14 of the channels available are from All India Radio, but there are also three channels from FM Gold, two from FM Rainbow, apart from Gyanvani Radio and Radio Kashmir. A list of Radio channels below. Our guess is that this would largely appeal to a diaspora which doesn’t otherwise get enough regional content/music on television, though one would assume that there are enough regional channels available. Perhaps that is why Airtel is giving these as free, and probably taking on the cost.

Would I listen to Radio on a TV Channel? Probably, if it is something like (Delhi’s) Hit 95 FM. VH1 and MTV have too much non-music programming these days, and Radio aids in the discovery of new music.

Do keep in mind that Airtel Digital TV had launched with WorldSpace radio channels when it first launched in 2008, but after Worldspace India shut down, the service was discontinued...

Airtel iRadio channels:

1. AIR Assamese
2. AIR Bangla
3. AIR Gujarati
4. AIR Hindi
5. AIR Kannada
6. AIR Malayalam
7. AIR Marathi
8. AIR North-East
9. AIR Oriya
10. AIR Punjabi
11. AIR Ragam
12. AIR Tamil
13. AIR Telugu
14. AIR Urdu
15. FM Gold
16. FM Gold Mumbai
17. FM Rainbow
18. FM Rainbow Bangalore
19. FM Gold Chennai
20. Gyanvani Radio
21. Radio Kashmir

I assume that all the above radio channels are Free-to-air channels and airtel doesn't have to pay anything for them? And yeah MTV Vh1 and all the other "music" channels have become realty channels

This service is only for DTH and not for HD version STB users. I dont see any free-to-air channels on my HD STB. Anyway, it would not make a difference (atleast to me) as FM radio is available freely everywhere.

I can see that in my HD STB.Only trouble is that its not listed in TV Guide/EPG like TV channels, but we have to open it through application, which takes ages to load...

This service is only for DTH and not for HD version STB users. I dont see any free-to-air channels on my HD STB. Anyway, it would not make a difference (atleast to me) as FM radio is available freely everywhere.
FM radio is available freely everywhere and cheaper than the DTH but you can listen to only the channels that are aired in that area. DTH can get you all channels to everywhere irrespective of the demography.