Questions!! plz answer if u knw!

• Thread starter Thread starter hari1987
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Views Views 1,329

hari1987

ISP
bsnl
I'm using a SIEMENS C2110 adsl modem provided by bsnlmy plan is Home 500 Combonow when i checked out my TCP/IP properties this is what i foundIP Address : 192.168.1.2SUBNET MASK : 255.255.255.0DEFAULT GATEWAY : 192.168.1.1PREFERED DNS SERVER : 61.1.96.69ALTERNATE DNS SERVER : 61.1.96.71out of curiosity i selected the options "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically"..... After that my connection became extremely slow(It was taking hell lota time to open even google)..So i changed the settings back to how it was previously!! and nw it works..can anyone please tell me what all these terms mean!! And are these addresses same for any bsnl broadband user throughout india?? or does it depend on where you are or which telephone exchange do you come under? (by the way i'm at Calicut, Kerala)Plz provide me the sufficient details..

its mostly the DNS servers which is causing the low speed , i guess the DNS servers given by bsnl when you select "automatically.." are pretty slow DNS servers therefore causing the problem.. if the 61.1.96.69 ip is working fine for you , then stick to it , if not try opendns servers

I'm using a SIEMENS C2110 adsl modem provided by bsnl

my plan is Home 500 Combo

now when i checked out my TCP/IP properties this is what i found

IP Address : 192.168.1.2
SUBNET MASK : 255.255.255.0
DEFAULT GATEWAY : 192.168.1.1

PREFERED DNS SERVER : 61.1.96.69
ALTERNATE DNS SERVER : 61.1.96.71

out of curiosity i selected the options "Obtain IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Automatically"..... After that my connection became extremely slow(It was taking hell lota time to open even google)..
So i changed the settings back to how it was previously!! and nw it works..

can anyone please tell me what all these terms mean!!

And are these addresses same for any bsnl broadband user throughout india?? or does it depend on where you are or which telephone exchange do you come under? (by the way i'm at Calicut, Kerala)

Plz provide me the sufficient details..

DNS server resolve the domains and help load the page faster. When you select automatic mode, you changed to another DNS which made page loading low. As Prashant advised, always stick to the DNS that is faster to you.