Questions on new connection

• Thread starter Thread starter kalyanmudi
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 23
  • Views Views 2,442

kalyanmudi

ISP
BSNL
Hi,I am planning to apply for a broadband internet connection (through my landline that I have to apply for as well) in Kolkata. I didn't have any prior experience of installing/configuring broadband in India and hence have few basic questions - 1. I see two types of Modems I can choose from, in the application form. Type 1 (ethernet + usb port) and Type 2(ethernet + wifi port). At the moment I have a Desktop PC that I want to connect to the internet through wire (I guess I can make use of ethernet port here). However, in future (or may be now, for that matter) I want to be able to access the internet via wifi (say, I will have laptops and iPhones in the house) as well. Do you have any recommendation which modem I should opt for? I know both modem can work with little adjustments I guess. Type 1 would need another wifi router to enable wifing of internet whereas type 2 will come wifi enabled already. If I opt for type 2 - I should still be able to connect using wire to my desktop PC? Anything I loose if I opt for TYpe 2 modem? What that USB port in Type 1 modem people really use for?I read somewhere in the forum - there are type 3 and type 4 modems as well. However, I don't see any mention of them in my application form (that I downloaded from calcuttatelephones website).2. In any case (I mean, whichever one I opt for) - Do you have any advise if I don't want a modem from BSNL and want to buy one from outside? I don't know what brand modem I am going to get from BSNL. I am little inclined to use modem/router for a reputed brand - Cisco Linksys? If I can do so - would you be able to let me know what model or configuration modem/router I should buy to fulfil above purpose of wire+wireless internet access?Also, my house is a 3 storied building. My broadband connection and modem/router going to be in ground floor. Do you believe I should expect considerably strong wifi signal at least on 1st floor? Do I have to look for a specific config of modem/router to cover such radius? Do you have any recommendation?I tried searching/reading the answers already in forum and get information in bits and pieces hence wanted to post a new thread with all my questions. I would appreciate your time going through my questions and any advise you can provide. Thanks a lot in advance.Regards,Kalyan

97 views and no replies 🙁Guess, too many questions or my questions have been answered many times? In such case, if you please redirect me to appropriate threads will be helpful. Thanks.Regards,Kalyan

Alright. I've just finished setting up my place. Similar to yours, 3 storied. The connection was on the 3rd floor. Installed a wifi router modem combo , provided by mtnl. Covers the third floor just fine. Next, I ran an Ethernet cable from mtnl modem to the second floor. Connected an Asus rt 56 nu to this. Covers both the second and first floor. Installed an edimax repeater in the first floor to take care of dead spots.The post contains a few grammatical errors, was in a hurry.

Hope I'm not jacking this thread but I also have a query to new BSNL BB connections and also went through this section of the forum and am posting now.Like if I want BB from BSNL then is it a must to have telephone line?Cuz I think I don't want their LL and in my region not many ppl use wired landline, more/most use wireless ones so will the cost of setting up the wire till my place be burdened on me?

97 views and no replies 🙁

Guess, too many questions or my questions have been answered many times? In such case, if you please redirect me to appropriate threads will be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,
Kalyan
You need a Type 2(ethernet + wifi port) modem.
There are quite a few threads about this. For example https://broadband.forum/routers-and-modems/79865-suggest-a-suitable-wifi-router/16/

Hope I'm not jacking this thread but I also have a query to new BSNL BB connections and also went through this section of the forum and am posting now.Like if I want BB from BSNL then is it a must to have telephone line?Cuz I think I don't want their LL and in my region not many ppl use wired landline, more/most use wireless ones so will the cost of setting up the wire till my place be burdened on me?
Yes, you need a hard line to get BSNL DSL & depending on the area, you will have to pay installation charges.

Installation charges aren't much usually
True. Usually in hundreds. There is also a security deposit again in hundreds. But depending on the circle, they might waive the charges.

ty for the reply.I was searching a way to apply online and found udaan and I'm not able to locate my exact area in it so is it ok if I give the closest area to me?Will the person visiting my area give me info on all the plans available,etc and also is there any monthly fixed charges for the landline connection.

Choose a combo plan, by that way you need not pay land line rent.

Combo plan?Could you give me an example/link of it to BSNL website(url's fine 🙂) with Unlimited usage?Also do they ask for any documents,if yes then what docs exactly? and they only take 1 months charges in advance,router/modem charges right?Will they give receipt or something acknowledging that they have taken 1 month's advance rental and modem/routers cost too?Is it ok to take their router/modem or getting them from other places will be better?

Browse the website. Address proof + ID proofYes, you do need to pay a month's rent in advance + installation charges. Their modems are fine, but I'd suggest buying a wifi router from elsewhere if you need one .You will be given a receipt.