• Thread starter Thread starter Asterix
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 18
  • Views Views 3,600

Asterix

Regular
ISP
MTNL
Hello. Right now I am using Tata Indicom but I am not pleased with their quality of service.The new MTNL-NU plan looks attractive but I had a few questions: Their website seems to indicate that the NU plan is for a limited period. Anyone knows how long it will last? What will they replace it with? How exactly does a DSL connection work? Do you need a wire connecting the telephone line to the PC or is there a separate cable? How long does MTNL take for initial installation? My experience with Tata Indicom in this regard was especially awful. Have there been billing problems with MTNL? One of the few things I like about Tata Indicom is the pre-paid concept. I don't want some billing mistake which saddles me with thousands of rupees for downloads I didn't do. Is it possible to monitor the account daily to see how much you owe?Any other input about the quality of MTNL broadband and specifically NU would be appreciated.

Their website has been saying its for a limited time for quite sometime, yet new applications are accepted.DSL connection will work through your existing phone line.An ADSL router will have to be either purchased (DSL 502-T costs approx. Rs.2500) or Rented from MTNL at Rs.80 per month.I suggest renting as they will replace it If it gets faulty.Phone line is plugged into router and Ethernet or USB cable is plugged into the comp from the router.MTNL takes maximum of 15days.When I got my first connection(I have two ADSLs) I got it in 5days.Second one took 14days.It depends on the workload.I've been sticked with a bill of Rs.22000/-.It has not yet been resolved.I'm hoping it will be resolved.Billing is quite shady.Its the only negative thing about MTNL I can think of.For the NU plan, you will have to switch router on after 12 and switch it off before 8AM.It has been specified on MTNLs website also, though lately I've noticed I get disconnected at 11.53pm and also at 7.53AM.MTNL must be using auto-disconnect.You could expect a datatransfer rate of anywhere between 27-32kBps.

Thanks for the reply. The kind of billing hassle you seem to be having is exactly what I want to avoid so I think I will wait for a while. Hopefully MTNL will get their billing system under control or maybe they will introduce a decent unlimited plan. Hope you manage to get your billing issues resolved quickly.

I had this problem cause I shifted from DSL NU to Trib_AA..and the tech wizards counted the entire usage as Trib_AA usage i.e. all my DSL_NU usage was charged @Rs. 2/mb.You should be okay if you restart router timely..Thanks for the wishes 🙂Edit: Typo.

Originally posted by muttster`@Nov 17 2005, 08:11 PM
For the NU plan, you will have to switch router on after 12 and switch it off before 8AM.It has been specified on MTNLs website also, though lately I've noticed I get disconnected at 11.53pm and also at 7.53AM.MTNL must be using auto-disconnect.

Hi muttster`,

Where on the MTNL site does it say that you have to switch the router on after 12 AM and switch it off before 8 AM ?

Do you have a link on the MTNL site where it says this ?

Thanks,
Mario

actually, MTNL guys had removed the 590 NU plan from their website altogether...but Nov 1 onwards when they revised the rates/data limits of the plans, they added 590 NU again and forgot to put that thing about restart 😛but it's true...if u have this plan, u can login to ur account and check it there 🙂

Yes, thanks, I see it now on the scrolling marquee on their page...
But, I think this is very important information and they should mention it in their user guide, as well the FAQ on their site.

Here are those 4 important points on that marquee, and I think only the last of these is mentioned in their user guide/FAQ :

1) For Night Unlimited Plan, please ensure to switch off MTNL modem at the beginning and end of NU period

2) For best Download Speed of Triband , WINDOWS XP and LAN PORT Recommended

3) For best Triband Results All Parallel Connection should be after the splitter

4) Please switch off the modem when not in use

I have 2 more questions related to the switching on/off of the router:

1) If I start a download at 11:30 PM and it ends at 8:30 AM the next day, and I have not rebooted my router at the beginning (12 AM) and end (8 AM) of the NU period, will MTNL bill me for the data downloaded between 12 AM and 8 AM ?

2) Does it matter if the router is rebooted a little earlier or a little later than the stipulated time ? For example, would it make a difference if I rebooted at 11:45 PM or 12:15 AM rather than 12:00 AM ?

Thanks for your help,
Mario

Originally posted by mario_a@Nov 20 2005, 05:50 PM
2) For best Download Speed of Triband , WINDOWS XP and LAN PORT Recommended
[snapback]32736[/snapback]
[/quote]

What a joke 😀 so Linux, Mac users are going to suffer.

Originally posted by netfreak@Nov 20 2005, 08:39 PM
[snapback]32753[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes, the OS bias is not good, but connecting via LAN (rather than USB) is good advice.

mario all these questions have been answered ad nauseam. suggest you try going through the threads and the sticky messages. after that please return with your questions. I doubt u will have any as almost all conciveable topics have been broached earlier

Originally posted by netfreak@Nov 20 2005, 08:39 PM
[snapback]32753[/snapback]
[/quote]
GNU/Linux kicks Windoze a$$ at networking B)

Originally posted by max@Nov 21 2005, 08:01 PM
GNU/Linux kicks Windoze a$$ at networking B)
[snapback]32842[/snapback]
[/quote]

you know that is a very immature statement. what exactly are u referring to as "Windoze " getting its ass kicked? Its this kind of stupidity that leads to confusion everywhere

Both operating systems have its quirks and advantages. Both have its strengths and weak points.

It all depends on what your need is? You have to analyze and decide on various factors taking in mind

1) the cost of maintainance

2) tco

3) Software lifetime cycle

4) Easy availability of support

5) Familiarity with the product

Can you setup a WIndows XP or Windows 2000 box as a router and setup bandwidth limit for each indivisual connection?On Linux you can do all these things and more with IPTABLES. IMHO non-availability of any such thing on Windows is a limitation (in case of networking).

jayesh, you have stepped on to my turf 🙂 Yes, Linux, UNIX, and other variants of *NIX do own Windoze when it comes to networking. *nix systems were originally developed for networking and networking alone. They are THE OSes to be used on servers.Windows 2000 was the half first decent attempt by M$ to introduce a REAL OS. Do you know the internals of Windows 2k? I don't know them entirely BUT I have studied the kernel and it is a low level rip off the *nix kernel! If you look at the latest offerings of M$ i.e. Vista, then you will notice that it bears a striking resemblence to *nix OSes.As for the great Windows XP SP2, it limits your outgoing connections to 100. Great for an OS, isn't it? 😉 I _know_ for a fact that Windows sucks at networking because my router runs Linux and it is running fine on a P1 166MHz MMX with only 128MB of PC100 Memory 😉 It is able to do things which Windows 2000 or Windows 2003, both of which I run, can't do on such a low config! 😛h34r: