• Thread starter Thread starter Daddycool
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,000

Daddycool

Regular
ISP
MTNL
I have taken a new prepaid Aircel connection last month as a test. I currently use Tata Docomo from Mumbai circle but used mostly in Pune.I was looking to port out of TD for two reasons.1. Their 2G network is pretty unreliable.2. Their ISD pack has a FUP limit and there is no way of checking the actual usage.I am trying Aircel because 1. I am told their data network is decent in Mumbai and Pune and 2. They have a Rs 18 ISD pack.After a few weeks, here are my impressions and questions:a. The data connection at both Mumbai and Pune is definitely much more reliable than Tata Docomo.b. I find it very difficult to reach Aircel customer care. Once you get through all the voice assist stuff, you have to pay for CC. With TD, the chat is an excellent facility.c. After a day or two of using the ISD special, I was unable to call the same number in Canada. After a long delay after dialing, I was getting the message "we cannot reach the Aircel number you have dialed" Note I had dialed a Canada mobile number and not Aircel. I don't know how to find out whether the recharge is still active.d. The only way I can get CC is through email. This has a turn around time of average 48 hours for each question. I ask a question. I get an answer after 48 hours which may be incomplete. Another question and another 48 hour wait.Despite the better internet and cheaper ISD, I am now not inclined to port because of poor access to CC, inability to see any balance and validity other than the plain vanilla talk time and the sudden failure of the ISD facility without reasonable explanation from Aircel.Would appreciate comments and feedback about the best ways of reaching CC, ways of checking status of special recharge.

Aircel voice prompts are terrible when you dial 121. I can barely understand what they are saying and it takes multiple options before you can find the one to talk to a representative 🙁 However, I am usually able to connect to a representative. You could try calling their complaints number 198 as well.
I've received the message "Could not connect to Aircel mobile" message once before as well - on an STD call. So, it isn't restricted to ISD and it could very well have been that the mobile number (it wasn't an Aircel number either) I was calling was switched off 🙂 Not sure about that, but, since it's happened only once I haven't been too concerned about it. I haven't had any issues so far with the ISD pack and their call rates to the US cannot be beat with good voice quality (at least, I don't see any other operator offering similar rates) 🙂
The only real issue that I have with Aircel is their roaming network - they are strong in certain circles. Like, for me, they are good in Chennai - and most places in Tamil Nadu, I at least get a 2G signal. But, in Kerala they are virtually non-existent. So, if you do a lot of travelling, then it might start getting expensive. But, if you are primarily going to be just in Mumbai/Pune where you find the network to be good, then it might be fine.

Thanks georgemp. Since I wrote my previous post some things changed.
At the time of my previous post, I was inclined to retain TD because I installed a wifi router and we get great performance from that. So the mobile data connection has become less of an issue. For the same reason, now with Wifi, we can use Skype/Viber from our phones and hence may not need the ISD pack so much.
But then I found TD data connection to be a deal breaker every time we were out of Wifi range. So finally, I think I will port one of my numbers out from TD to Aircel first, experience them for a while and then decide to either port the other one too or port both to some other operator like Airtel later.

I always find it hard to reach the Aircel customer here.. 198 is much easier.