Question for Coolbuddy

• Thread starter Thread starter muttster`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 41
  • Views Views 11,351
one of my DSL NU is configured as 618 517 or sometimes even 640 512..so that gives me around 53-54kBps..then another DSL gives 27.6kBps..so if Sify comes along it will tough 100kBps 🙂 short lived glory..but wat to do..heh

man, why's there no such "sweet" error at my place??? 🙄

neither at mine 🙁 wld luv to hv it though 🙂 how did u manage that..i suspect some internal connections 😛 😉

hehe Sify isnt installed yet..the installer would come tomorrow most probably..today being independence day I doubt they would show up..had given the cheque on thursday so would've cleared by now..lets see when they come..im gonna post some screenshots hopefully of 100kBps+ 🙂

hmm remember to unplug all other lan cards the sify people are dumb and will surely get confused heh

that's true and funny man!!!MTNL gets connected if u have multiple cards, even Reliance...they just ignore the other LAN cards...but Sify won't connect till u disconnect/disable the other one...great ppl!!! 😛

hehe same was with Incable..always used to say 'you are not authorized to use this resource'(due to nic mac binding) if the other lan card was enabled..so had to disable the other connection login into incable and then enable again..

bandwidth combined
Originally posted by coolbuddy_79@Aug 11 2005, 09:41 PM
@blr_p...it can be done...in fact, muttster was doing the same till now with MTNL and incable...now when wants to do it with Sify + MTNL...
[snapback]20910[/snapback]
[/quote]

Originally posted by muttster`@Aug 11 2005, 09:44 PM
blr_p: it works really well with newsgroups and http downloads. i get 82kBps all the time on newsgroups..doesnt work great with BitTorrent.
[snapback]20911[/snapback]
[/quote]

Heh, really !!!

Can you guys point me to some docs that show how this can be done ?

Just to be clear, you are saying that u can combine 2 connections and get the combined bandwidth from them.

Yes two different connections..though it only works for http downloads and newsgroups..i.e. anywhere u could use proxy.

It is very easily done. All you have to do is setup a NAT (Network Address Translation) network with a software routing program (Wingate).

Im a lazy bastard so i'm only going to type up a vague tutorial on how to do this.

1) Have both (or more) of your modems connected to different NIC cards (or just buy a USB hub and connect you cable modems that way).

2) Make sure both modems are fuctioning separately, AND THAT BOTH IP ADDRESSES THAT THE MODEMS HAVE OBTAINED ARE ON DIFFERENT GATEWAYS.

3) download wingate http://www.wingate.com/product-wingate.php
-----------------------------------
4) Install the shit (MAKE SURE ALL THE OPTIONS ARE INSTALLED JUST AS BELOW).

(Installation type, Configure as ect.. as a Server) PRESS CONTINUE

PRESS NEXT 3 TIMES AND THEN UNCHECK USE WINGATE MAIL SERVER, THEN PRESS NEXT

CLICK NEXT 3 TIMES THEN CLICK "ACTIVATE" TO ACTIVATE THE SOFTWARE (DONOT PICK THE “WINGATE VPN” because then you wont be able to do shit). AFTER YOUR DONE ACTIVATING PRESS NEXT, THEN CLICK BEGIN.

CLICK FINISH AFTER IT FINISHES INSTALLING AND DO NOT RESTART (THERE’S NO NEED TO)

5) Goto Start, Programs, Wingate and run “Wingate VPN Monitor”

6) Double click the icon with the two little red monitors next to your computer clock on the taskbar.

7) It’ll ask you if you want to run the Wingate Engine, CLICK OK.

8) A “Online Options” window will popup just click OK. It’ll tell you that you haven’t specified a password, just click “don’t ask me again” then click ok.

9) Start the damn Wingate engine if it asks you if you want to by clicking OK.
10) It’ll say some shit about GateKeeper needing a password, click OK and ENTER A PASSWORD YOU CAN REMEMBER then click OK.

11)Now click on “Services” Tab on the Bottom Left.

12) On the upper left right under the “Go Offline” Icon theres gonna be 4 things. Click on each one and press delete on you keyboard to delete the shits.

13) Right click on the empty white space where you deleted the services and press “New Service”, then “WWW Proxy Service”.

14) A window will popup….. Where it says “Service Port 80” (Right in front of you face) change that number to, well for this tutorial we will put it to “ 1111 “ (One Thousand, One Hundred, Eleven).

15) now to the left of that window click “Bindings”, Under binding policy UNCHECK “Bind to any IP ADDRESS…. Ect..”

16) now click “Gateways” to the left of the window.

17) on Connection scheme change it to “use blah blah blah on rotation” Now click on add.

18) you should see both your NIC card names, click the little plus sign bullshit to expand the tree and expand both “Gateways” and “Source IP addres.” And click on “Any Gateway” and “Any IP ADDRESS”. Click ok then click ADD AGAIN!!!! DO THE SAME SHIT WITH YOUR SECOND NIC CARD (INTERNET CONNECTION WHATEVER).

19)Now click APPLY, then OK, THEN YES.

20) your NAT PROXY should be working now…. So we are now going to test if you did all this shit right and both connections are Routed through the software proxy…

21) open up Internet Explorer, click on Tools, then Internet Options, then click connections, then click LAN SETTINGS. PUT A CHECK MARK ON “USE A PROXY SERVER FOR YOUR LAN ect….” And in Address TYPE IN 127.0.0.1 and in PORT TYPE IN 1111. CLICK OK THEN OK AGAIN.

22) Now goto http://www.lawrencegoetz.com/programs/ipinfo/ and check your IP ADDRESS. Keep Pressing REFRESH AND IF YOUR ip address DOES CHANGE (or Rotates) with your other IP ADDRESS YOU HAVE SETUP THE PROXY PERFECTLY.

23) In your download manager put 127.0.0.1 in proxy server and port 1111.you must configure your download manager to use the proxy. use 4connections atleast so each net connection could use atleast 2connections.

A screenshot..edit: getting this error: The total filespace required to upload all the attached files is greater than your per post or global limit. Please reduce the number of attachments or the size of the attachments.its only 200kb..

Did some research on this and its called Modem teaming

Modem teaming, a good alternative for users whose ISP does not support MP+, allows the modems to work as separate connections by taking advantage of the "smart download" capability that most HTTP and FTP servers use in case a download is interrupted. Modem teaming requires a software application to instruct one modem to download the first part of the file while the other modem downloads the second part. A disadvantage of modem teaming is that it is not flexible if one modem should disconnect, nor is it useful when downloading streaming multimedia or conducting continuous sessions such as Telnet or PCAnywhere.

Found a Boot-Up CD that uses linux and bonds two DSL connections but requires the ISP to offer this feature.

Wonder if Airtel does ? Will this work for you Sush.

Some useful general info on the topic here.