• Start date
  • Replies: Replies 3
  • Views: Views 3,305
F

farmboy

Regular
ISP
BSNL 1000 upto 2 Mbps
Hi All, Im using a type 2 modem Quidway WA1003A modem for accessing Dataone for which BSNL charges rent of Rs 90 per month . Since BSNL charges Rs 90 per month for both type 2 and type 4 modem I was thinking of upgrading to the type 4 modem : SmartAX 841 .However I found out from one of the websites that in case of this modem : SmartAX 841 the PCMCIA card is inserted inside the "modem " itself ! Since Im using a Netgear PCMCIA wifi card WG511 on my "laptop " for getting signals from the wireless Quidway 1003A I was wondering will I have to purchase another PCMCIA card for the modem also ie 2 cards in total ? Please help me understand the functioning of this type of modem.My laptop doesnt have an in built Wifi . Thanks, Farmboy

seshu

seshu

Listener
ISP
BSNL Dataone
the card inserted into the modem transmits wireless signals andthe card used in the laptop receives wireless internet signals .Quidway WA1003A modem is provided as wireless modem/router .but SmartAX MT841 is supplied as a simple modem/router (non-wifi). wireless card should be used for MT841 to use it for wifi internet .

F

farmboy

Regular
ISP
BSNL 1000 upto 2 Mbps
Seshu,Thanks for the info .Now I feel there is no use of upgrading from type 2 to type 4 modem as WA1003A is itself wireless and better. However,are the other type 2 modems like WA3002 better than WA1003A or the same ?

seshu

seshu

Listener
ISP
BSNL Dataone
^ the following response is based on users' experiences at different
community forums ( I do not have direct experience with wa1003a
and wa3002 ) : some users felt that securing wifi internet for the
wa1003a is a bit difficult than other modems/routers . except this
it is a better modem just like any other modem ...