• Thread starter Thread starter farmboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 3,399

farmboy

Regular
ISP
BSNL 1000 upto 2 Mbps
Hi All, Im using a type 2 modem Quidway WA1003A modem for accessing Dataone for which BSNL charges rent of Rs 90 per month . Since BSNL charges Rs 90 per month for both type 2 and type 4 modem I was thinking of upgrading to the type 4 modem : SmartAX 841 .However I found out from one of the websites that in case of this modem : SmartAX 841 the PCMCIA card is inserted inside the "modem " itself ! Since Im using a Netgear PCMCIA wifi card WG511 on my "laptop " for getting signals from the wireless Quidway 1003A I was wondering will I have to purchase another PCMCIA card for the modem also ie 2 cards in total ? Please help me understand the functioning of this type of modem.My laptop doesnt have an in built Wifi . Thanks, Farmboy

the card inserted into the modem transmits wireless signals andthe card used in the laptop receives wireless internet signals .Quidway WA1003A modem is provided as wireless modem/router .but SmartAX MT841 is supplied as a simple modem/router (non-wifi). wireless card should be used for MT841 to use it for wifi internet .

Seshu,Thanks for the info .Now I feel there is no use of upgrading from type 2 to type 4 modem as WA1003A is itself wireless and better. However,are the other type 2 modems like WA3002 better than WA1003A or the same ?

^ the following response is based on users' experiences at different
community forums ( I do not have direct experience with wa1003a
and wa3002 ) : some users felt that securing wifi internet for the
wa1003a is a bit difficult than other modems/routers . except this
it is a better modem just like any other modem ...