Query regarding Samsung Pay and NFC/MST in India

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 67
  • Views Views 6,917
Contactless payments should need a PIN to complete payment for store purchases. Handing over a physical card is an issue of hygiene. It wouldn't make sense to talk about it in India if not for the current corona outbreak. A lot of foreign governments have mandated contactless payments to stop spreading the virus. Even in India, this is the time RBI must take measures to popularize this. In a longer run we can use this for purchasing metro/bus tickets, etc., Also the idea of not having to carry a wallet is true digital economy.

tbh. contactless payment is designed in such a way that you do not handover your card to the shopkeeper. but of course it does not work like this in all cases. shopkeeper is expected to take your card. and then insert it in the machine. samsung pay works the exact way. it's just that the machines are so messed up in so many cases that they do not work with a simple tap as they should. or the machine times out before you tap. plus every machine seems to have the nfc area at different locations. some have it at the back. some have it at the top. with phone it is usually simpler as the shopkeeper would not try to take your phone away from you. but with card... duh.

on the other hand... Paytm and upi have already popularized contactless payments pretty widely. if only they would enable (Credit) card payment through qr card as well 😀

so how does one get customer support from samsung pay. made a mistake doing a prepaid recharge through them. transaction failed. money deducted.

looks like recharge was successful despite the error. would have to avoid using samsung pay to do recharges in future i guess. call center number is not operation because of covid. email support ka pata nahi. chat is ai based so useless. couldn't find any twitter account. mobikwik has blocked my account so cannot get support through their platform as well.

Just check if your card is supported first.

samsung has a very small list of supported credit and debit cards and it keeps on getting smaller. this is the latest i could find.

yFLyOBQ.webp

i mean you should be. i tried using it once and it failed at the point of sale. and then my card basically got blocked for a day lol. started working next day. i think it was just my card company thinking it was suspicious behavior. i did not try again.

i mean my card is added to samsung pay. and i added it in Google Pay. and tried paying through gpay. someone else might be able to confirm if they are able to pay using nfc on gpay on samsung devices.

it has been near perfect on s21fe. i did face some failures on s10lite. but yeah, it does not work very well on some machines in my experience. Paytm machines used to fail so i stopped trying on paytm machines. hdfc machines are perfect. pinelabs are also perfect. maybe paytm would also be fine currently but i do not really bother because it annoys the shopkeepers to restart the process just because i am too lazy to take out my card lol.

When comes to NFC India is still a crawling baby it seems.
Most of the mobiles <20000 doesn't have it. Redmi phones has all the bells and whistles except this one.
Very limited (samsung & motorola) brand that too with limited models has this feature.

well india is not really a credit card country. it is a upi country today. you can't use credit cards at small shops. and even bigger stores try to get you to use upi over card because of charges etc. so it's not unexpected or unusual. i do not see nfc based payments becoming more popular with time.