• Thread starter Thread starter IBFUser
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 16
  • Views Views 29,539

IBFUser

Regular
ISP
Airtel
Anyone have any experience in purchasing electronics stuff from gray market (e.g. gaffar in delhi). I just bought a 40inch led Samsung Smart tv from gray market and wanted to discuss/share the experience with you all.Let's discuss pros/cons of buying from gray market.

I had purchased 1 chinese mobile phone, an iPhone look a like touchscreen with stylus for Rs.2,500, It stopped working in 2 days, from that day I stopped purchasing any electronics item from gray market, there is crawford market, chor bazaar and many more places in mumbai to purchase cheap electronics, but the products are faltu, waste pieces and most of the dealers of electronics goods in gray market in Mumbai are Muslims, contact with dubai and pakistanis hehe.

What i meant was purchasing branded stuff which is imported illegally so escaping the taxes/custom duties etc and sold without warranty with huge difference if bought from proper showroom

people usually buy music systems from grey market... how much was the price difference on your tv ?

my experiences from grey market in kolkata that is khidderpore fancy makret (full muslim area) has been pretty much good so far.some of their sellers know me very well so I dont face such hiccups. I bought a 5.1 wooden cabinet speaker with 8500watts pmpo + at only 2300Rs from them 3years back. It ran well for 3years without any problems and the sound quality was excellent.Nobody believed it was for 2300Rs because wooden cabinet wala speakers cost 4.5k + min.Now have solded it to an ebay buyer in kerela for 1500bucks and he is also happy with the product 🙂

the model i purchased costed me 44k whereas the lowest i could get through proper channel (company showroom/online) was ~62k

buying items from grey market should be handled with proper care, rough handling = failure

How is that not true for items purchased from company's showroom

I guess he means you can have them replaced because of warranty, unless ofcourse they determine its intentional damage 😛

hehe, yes. we do lose warranty but company is giving only 1 year warranty anyway and i was willing to give up warranty for the discount of ~18k

How is that not true for items purchased from company's showroom

grey market means no warranty, showroom means warranty, a bit rough usage ,any problem arise, u can call service center , grey market stuff ,u need extra care, because u will lose any savings made,if any issues occur in warranty period.

^^ yup, thats true, but i thought he was saying that gray market stuff will go down soon as compared to showroom stuff which i think is not true.

nono i meant that showroom stuffs have warranty so they can be repaired or replaced without any cost during warranty but grey market stuffs have to be handled with care. product is the same....

It's a bit risky to buy any electronics from grey market. If we are buying branded products then also. Some times after purchasing from there when we go home and check the product it doesn't work or the product get changes. Buying from there we get products in cheap rates but if it doesn't work than what is the use of saving money.