Provide signals to Sun direct: TDSAT to ESPN

• Thread starter Thread starter kariyan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 46
  • Views Views 7,638

kariyan

ISP
NO
Broadcast tribunal Telecom Disputes and Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) today directed sports broadcaster ESPN to provide its signals to South-based Direct-to-Home (DTH) operator Sun Direct at half the cable rates, as specified by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai).

The TDSAT, headed by Justice Arun Kumar, also held that ESPN would give signals to Sun Direct on a la-carte (pick and choose) basis as per Trai regulation.
However, the tribunal also made clear to Sun Direct that if ESPN, which has challenged Trai's regulation over DTH pricing before it, gets the order in its favour, the DTH operator would have to pay tariffs in accordance with that final order.
The TDSAT direction came over a petition filed by Maran family-controlled Sun Direct seeking signals for its DTH services.
During the proceedings, counsel appearing for Sun Direct submitted before the tribunal that it would provide wide coverage to ESPN channels by offering their channels to all customers.
"But beyond that we would not force any one to take ESPN's channel," submitted senior counsel Ramji Srinivasan appearing for Sun TV.
On this, ESPN's counsel Nanju Ganpathy submitted that Sun was asking channels at 50 per cent discount and they have already challenged the entire Trai regulation directing broadcasters to give their channels to DTH operators at half the cable rates.
"Our petition challenging Trai's regulation is listed on January 13 for final hearing.... If tomorrow the tribunal set aside that Trai direction then Sun would have to pay," submitted Ganpathy.

Broadcast tribunal Telecom Disputes and Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) today directed sports broadcaster ESPN to provide its signals to South-based Direct-to-Home (DTH) operator Sun Direct at half the cable rates, as specified by Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai).

The TDSAT, headed by Justice Arun Kumar, also held that ESPN would give signals to Sun Direct on a la-carte (pick and choose) basis as per Trai regulation.
However, the tribunal also made clear to Sun Direct that if ESPN, which has challenged Trai's regulation over DTH pricing before it, gets the order in its favour, the DTH operator would have to pay tariffs in accordance with that final order.
The TDSAT direction came over a petition filed by Maran family-controlled Sun Direct seeking signals for its DTH services.
During the proceedings, counsel appearing for Sun Direct submitted before the tribunal that it would provide wide coverage to ESPN channels by offering their channels to all customers.
\"But beyond that we would not force any one to take ESPN's channel,\" submitted senior counsel Ramji Srinivasan appearing for Sun TV.
On this, ESPN's counsel Nanju Ganpathy submitted that Sun was asking channels at 50 per cent discount and they have already challenged the entire Trai regulation directing broadcasters to give their channels to DTH operators at half the cable rates.
\"Our petition challenging Trai's regulation is listed on January 13 for final hearing.... If tomorrow the tribunal set aside that Trai direction then Sun would have to pay,\" submitted Ganpathy.

great news for SD Viewers like me awaiting for champions legue

\"But beyond that we would not force any one to take ESPN's channel,\" submitted senior counsel Ramji Srinivasan appearing for Sun TV.

Hi friends,

I have quoted what Sun lawyer mentioned in the court.It clearly shows that Sun will provide ESS free of cost for some time.😀:thumbsup::dance::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:.After some time they will not compel their subscribers to choose it.😀😀:thumb::yahoo::dance:

Hi friends,

I have quoted what Sun lawyer mentioned in the court.It clearly shoes that Sun will provide ESS free of cost for some time.😀:thumbsup::dance::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:.After some time they will not compel their subscribers to choose it.😀😀:thumb::yahoo::dance:

WOW thanks buddy it is great news.

Hi friends,

I have quoted what Sun lawyer mentioned in the court.It clearly shoes that Sun will provide ESS free of cost for some time.😀:thumbsup::dance::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:.After some time they will not compel their subscribers to choose it.😀😀:thumb::yahoo::dance:

Yes...they will give it free during champions league :dance::dance: and after that they would create a separate add on package.They are leaders in subscribers looting strategy 😛...(at least they can make another 5 to 10 lac new customers by this offer)

Great news,

ESS have to provide it's signal to SD with in one week time.
Source:

TELECOM DISPUTES SETTLEMENT & APPELLATE TRIBUNAL

Great News....all my fellow SD friends can watch CL T20...:dance::yahoo::thumbsup:

Great News....all my fellow SD friends can watch CL T20...:dance::yahoo::thumbsup:

That too free of cost:dance::yahoo::thumb:😀

I dont think they will provide it for free. From their argument it says it will make the channel available for all its customer.It is upto the customer whether to subscribe or not.viki how to you say SD is looting the customers. DISH TV loss is 600 cr. we dont know the loss for Big tv for providing south package for 2200rs. Rcom share has down from the high of 1000 to below 200rs compare to Airtel has down from 1100 to 650 rs. i think big tv is the main problem for the crash of Rcom.Sun direct did not subsidise the content. it is upto u whether to subscribe or not. how many days DISH and BIG tv can subsidise the contents. One day they will try to recover from us.Nothing is free in this world. we have to understand this

whatever it is,I dont think we can get the signals in a week's TimeThe same thing happened to MSM Sony channelsThey took more than Two weeks to show them

When did they say that they will give it free? So many members assuming that they will give free and ran the thread to 2nd page!