Pros and Cons of Videcon D2H with recording

• Thread starter Thread starter 24x7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 7
  • Views Views 15,713
Last time when I had called CC of Videocon, They mentioned that the recording product is stopped as they were getting lots of complaints.

Yes, even I heard they dont have stock available. You may again get some stock at some random dealers. But then again , if its having problems.......

I was told that they are planning to release a new model of the HD box, and the production of the existing box has ceased. So there is very limited stock in the market right now, exclusively found among dealers, because Videocon has sold out.
I bought a DVR box from a mall nearby, 2 days ago. It was activated this evening. I'll give it a few days and report back to you with my experience.

Pros:
-Excellent picture and sound quality, noticeably better than the standard HD box
-Records two channels at once (you can only watch one of those two channels when both are being recorded)
-Records during standby mode
-Allows series recording for shows you watch regularly
-Fast forward and rewind upto 32x
-Rest of the interface is identical to the HD box
-Playback is experience is good. Much better than the comcast dvr I've used in the past, which would stop at the wrong moment 9/10 times while forwarding. In the end, we gave up and got a Tivo dvr. Videocon's playback is almost at par with Tivo.
Cons:
-Mind numbingly unintuitive buttons layout remote layout
-DVR heats up pretty fast, although the first few days were the worst, it is hot now, but not as hot as earlier.
-Lots of features, impossible to figure out without manual. Eg. Series recording, editing favorites list.
-Channels keep changing while scrolling through the program guide, instead of waiting for you to select a channel.
-Hidden retail costs. DVR's price is Rs.6490, but retails for Rs.3990. DVR is dysfunctional until you recharge Rs.2500 for "activation". Once activated, you have to wait for 24 hours for recording privileges to be authorized.
I don't know what Videocon is cooking up for it's new dvr box, except that it will support USB recording. But, I think this dvr is worth your money. If you have the patience, and don't need it immediately, you could try waiting for the new DVR that videocon plans to announce soon.

chocos said:
Pros:
-Excellent picture and sound quality, noticeably better than the standard HD box
-Records two channels at once (you can only watch one of those two channels when both are being recorded)
-Records during standby mode
-Allows series recording for shows you watch regularly
-Fast forward and rewind upto 32x
-Rest of the interface is identical to the HD box
-Playback is experience is good. Much better than the comcast dvr I've used in the past, which would stop at the wrong moment 9/10 times while forwarding. In the end, we gave up and got a Tivo dvr. Videocon's playback is almost at par with Tivo.
Cons:
-Mind numbingly unintuitive buttons layout remote layout
-DVR heats up pretty fast, although the first few days were the worst, it is hot now, but not as hot as earlier.
-Lots of features, impossible to figure out without manual. Eg. Series recording, editing favorites list.
-Channels keep changing while scrolling through the program guide, instead of waiting for you to select a channel.
-Hidden retail costs. DVR's price is Rs.6490, but retails for Rs.3990. DVR is dysfunctional until you recharge Rs.2500 for "activation". Once activated, you have to wait for 24 hours for recording privileges to be authorized.
I don't know what Videocon is cooking up for it's new dvr box, except that it will support USB recording. But, I think this dvr is worth your money. If you have the patience, and don't need it immediately, you could try waiting for the new DVR that videocon plans to announce soon.

I recently got Videcon's HD PVR installed in my living room, HD PVR is out of stock at most retailers or even Online stores, finally found this in a local shop after a lot of searching/waiting.
The installation was completed without much issues but i must say the interface of Tata Sky HD PVR is much smoother & simpler, easy to use yet very efficient. *Videocon's interface is very slow & full of bugs, takes a lot of time to get used to & some features like series recording, GUIDE itself etc are not accurate, only time based recording(set a timer instead of depending on the GUIDE for the series recording) works fine. *The whole DVR feature is itself very confusing & irritating
*Otherwise the Picture Quality itself is at par with Tatasky (or maybe even better than TS, i also upgraded from an 32' LCD to 42' LED TV at the same time & hence can't say for sure but overall PQ especially on HD channels is quiet pleasing) but the slow/buggy interface is what is keeping me changing to Videocon on my addon/multiroom connection, i still use Tatasky HD PVR on a 32' LCD in my bedroom for the interface, otherwise i hate TS for their expensive pack's, customer service failures(in my case) etc.

The speed issue is only present on the HD DVR. I have a multi room with HD Box on the 2nd connection, but that seems to work fine while HDDVR seems to get stuck and slow to respond.

Had anyone found a fix for videocon d2h issues, it's very frustrating at times :wacko: