• Thread starter Thread starter oldtimer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 4,652

oldtimer

Geriatrix
ISP
bsnl 256kbps home 250 plan
1. Proof of id and residence every 6 months2. Rumours of repeated takeovers and fresh proofs all over again3. Calls from all and sundry asking for "verifying" identity!It is getting really painful having to prove my identity so often! What in blazes is this for? Every time the govt asks for it or the company gets bought, whichever is earlier, we have to make this parade to the hutch/bpl/**** office where we are received by some contracted hands in strange costumes who don't have any clue what all this is about!! And then, whether you submit it or not, their SMS reminders keep coming!!!Do all subscribers share this plight. It is somewhat of a relief to know!!

lol i have submitted twice already too! once while purchasing sim cardand one recently. this time i have collected their sign on the xerox ofform i submitted so they cant keep asking me same thing again and again.

hmm..... only when I got my SIM last year... they didn't activate my CLIP initially.. but I screamed at them that it was between them and the shop i bought it from if the shop didn't submit the necessary documents to them, although I did submit them to the shop....

This is just lame.In most ohter countries you can get SIM cards from any shop without need for ID proof. I have submited ID proof three times so far.Amish,Good idea about getting signed acknowledgement.Oldtimer, do you have any source/news that we will have to submit ID proof all over again if company gets acquired 🙁

last time BPL in Coimbatore was bought by Hutch, we had to rush and give forms. None of my friends with other msps did it at that time. Now we have a double benefit.. amidst rumours that vodafone is taking over Hutch we have to submit again.. this time there is a govt mandate also .. I am scared that we should submit in duplicate lol :wub:And BTW this happens to be my hundredth post.. i have just graduated to the next level.. thanks forum 😀

QUOTE(netfreak @ Mar 15 2007, 01:38 PM) [snapback]83393[/snapback]
This is just lame.

In most ohter countries you can get SIM cards from any shop without need for ID proof. I have submited ID proof three times so far.[/b]

well, this was the case here as well...when i got my first connection in 1999, i didn't have to show any documents or anything...just went and bought it...but due to (mis)use of cellular phone by the unscrupulous elements, government had to change the rules...i guess it's in our best interests only, at the end of the day...

On a different tack, Airtel sent me something like this for my internet connection, have not bothered to reply yet. Anyone else seen similar?..i suppose its similar to what the internet cafes ask for, but thats easily got around.

I really don't think it's a big deal for them to insist on prrof of residence, given, as coolbuddy_79 said, the misuse by unscrupulous elements. Even in the U.K. from what I hear you have to present a electricity or phone bill for a quarter to get a connection.... and documents aren't so commonly forged in western countries.

Its not difficult to get a SIM without ID proof anyway if someone wants to do anything illegal. There was news recently in local Bombay papers about TV actors buying hundreds of SIMs to send SMS to vote for themselves in TV contests. And there was a dealer that sold thousands of them to conmen with ID proofs of other customers.

In US, I got a GSM SIM from a T-Mobile shop by paying in cash and without any need for ID. Same in UK. Its even better in UK since whatever you pay while buying it (min 5 pounds) is loaded in SIM as talktime.

All it does it makes life of genuine users difficult.

HOWTO :

http://wiki.openwrt.org/MiniHowtos/QoSHowto

Well ok.. i understand that the mobile can be misused, and so this exercise does help..But listen to this one! NOT ALL hutch subscribers are being asked to submit, ONLY some! I wondered on what basis these people were selected to receive the honorable status of " Most Photogenic", so please can i have your photo again, thank you.Some of my fellow subscribers haven't even heard of this thing!! And wait, the best is yet to come. I heard that only the earliest customers were being asked for it again (and again) ! One "reason" i heard was, they bungled the database and lost all the veterans records.. if that is true, it all adds up.. Its going to be one long summer!!Dont ask me for hard facts just yet.. and i do exaggerate a little in the interest of drama. But one thing i am sure about.. My name, face and identity haven't changed over the last decade..having to prove it again and again sure is painful. Though the exercise in the interest of national safety and security, it still is difficult to do a catwalk parade every six months, while so many others like us have to just sit and watch. Yes i agree with netfreak - 10 % of the people make enough thorns to perforate the backside of the other 90 %. Oh the injustice of it all!

i get myself authenticated on cell most of the time. i am out of my place and the dude lands at my home. and he calls me and i validate my existance to him.