• Thread starter Thread starter imdarkray
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3
  • Views Views 792

imdarkray

n00b
ISP
Airtel Xstream, Jio Fiber, Railwire, Siti, Airtel 4G, Jio 4G, VI
I had this card (IRTC Rupay) received last year September (Didn't know it was Rupay till it arrived). All the process was online. While applying I was told there are no charges and it's absolutely free.
But as soon as I received the card, I got an SMS saying, 300rs. will be charged as renewal fee and 500rs. as the annual fee. I raised the complaint through their mobile app as due to Covid their call centers were down. On the email, I got the same repetitive replies saying- I will get the resolution by some X day and then in the next paragraph- it was written as
"We wish to inform you that annual fee of Rs.500 plus service tax (Applicable Taxes) is applicable for your card account.
We regret to inform you that we are unable to reverse any amount towards the annual membership fee on your SBI card account.
We wish to inform you that Renwable fee is Rs.300
"

Their email was very confusing but I saw- I was not charged in the statement, so I didn't bother to follow up on this. Now the thing is, I never used their card this whole time. and this month, after a year I got their first statement and I am being charged 500rs. + taxes as renewal charges. This time, I talked with them on call and it seems they are not able to or willing to waive the charges. So here I am, decided to cancel the card.

Could anyone please let me know if cancellation would affect my credit/cibil?
Do I have the right to not pay the annual fee as I am not going to use it the next year?

If they have charged you, you are obligated to pay them the CC bill. Otherwise, they'll report you as a defaulter on CIBIL. However, you may send an email with a reference of the previous conversation and ask them to close the card and waive the annual fees.

Exactly same happened with me when I had took car loan from SBI.
Without any usage I paid around 1K for annual fees as well as application fees.
I closed after 1 year by giving written application in SBI branch.