Private (LAN) network over 150 meters using Ethernet or alternates like Fiber Optic cable

• Thread starter Thread starter madhusudhan7
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 5,281

madhusudhan7

leaguemaddy
ISP
ACT 300 Mbps FTTB | Airtel 200 Mbps FTTH backup | Airtel 4g B593 Router | Airtel 5g on Mobile
Note:- Created a new thread because I did not find any existing discussions around this topic using search. Please message me if there are related discussions elsewhere.

Background:
  • Home Internet services in my current location are not very stable. We have ACT 300 Mbps as primary + Airtel 200 Mbps as backup to avoid downtimes.
  • My sister who stays only around 150 meters away from our home is also in the same dilemma and will also have to pay for 2 connections for stability.
  • Plan is to setup a private (LAN) network between our houses for Internet & content sharing. I already have a good Load Balancing Router and the simple requirement is to establish a stable connection with 1Gbps link to my sisters house from my existing network.
  • The setup is going to be within an apartment complex but in different blocks/towers. We have pre-existing ducts for cabling and hence no major risk of cable management.
I only have basic networking knowledge and we are trying to find a viable future proof solution at the reasonable cost. The average cost of running a second line is around 15-20k per year for both homes and this setup will be a onetime cost that will return investment within a year.

Solutions Explored:

1. Ethernet - using a combination of POE injector and signal amplifiers since RJ45 cables have a transmission limit of 100 meters. This should ideally be a cheaper solution but 'Signal Amplifiers' or commonly known as 'POE Extender / Repeater' are not readily available in India and imports from sites like uBuy are expensive.
30W Gigabit POE Extender from HYN@NET = 5k
TP-Link POE160S POE Injector (30W) = 1.7k
Ethernet cable (good quality, shielded) = 4k
Estimated cost = 10-11k

2. Optic Fiber - Connect to the existing network using Fiber cable and 2 x Media Converters on both ends (to convert Ethernet to Optic and then back to Ethernet). This is perhaps the most future proof and reliable option considering the good four core cable with thick shielding (similar to what local ISP's use outside).
TP-Link MC210CS Media Converter x 2 = 6k
Optic fiber cable + patch cards (at terminals) = 5k
Splicing Optic Fiber = 3k (done by local ISP)
Estimated cost = 14k

3. Wireless - using 2 x Outdoor WiFi extenders + Ethernet cabling from terrace to network inside our homes.
TP Link EAP225 WiFi Access Points x 2 = 12k
Ethernet cable (good quality, shielded) = 1-2k
Estimated cost = 14k

Please share your opinions on which approach is the most stable and also check if my assumptions are practical. Thanks in advance for all the help.

FINAL UPDATE as on 3rd Jan 2023:
We were able to complete this setup using Optic Fiber cabling for around 16k but can also be done under 10K, if you choose the right device at the beginning. I humbly thank everyone who provided their valuable suggestions in this project.
Refer to this post for more details on the setup & costing: Private (LAN) network over 150 meters using Ethernet or alternates like Fiber Optic cable | Routers Modems Dongles

Last edited:
There are special cables that can go beyond 100

Source

Not sure how easy it'll be to find in India though.

You could just try out regular CAT6E see if there is any packet/speed loss at 150m.

The second best option is the fiber optic one you mentioned. Will it really cost 3k to get fiber welded? Its not that difficult to do. Don't think fiber optic costs that much either.

Last edited:
I'd go for the fibre option...wireless is out if you do heavy data transfers. But if only internet use wireless will do but be careful of signal interference and hackers.

@JB701 .. I did see these Ethernet options but unfortunately they are not available in India. Ethernet overall will be a gamble in my opinion. It may work without POE extender but we can't tell unless we buy the cable and try.
I agree the cost of Optic Fiber splicing is on the higher side but this one local ISP that I know is from my old locality and around 30+ km away from here. So it's the overall cost of making the time to come here and ensure the transmission is successful. That's the cost they are currently estimating (5+3k) but I'm exploring alternatives. I don't know anyone else who's willing to do it and equipment is quite expensive to buy for own use.
Ethernet on the contrary is much easier and I have the crimping tool, keystone etc. and hence can do it myself

Thank you for the suggestion @Chip

@pillaicha .. The local ISP person that I'm taking to offered this 4 core optic fiber cable as the better solution because we're planning to pull the cable through internal wiring pipes. Single core wire is safe in the ducts but not when pulled through those small pipes with sharp bends. The pipe already has one each of Coaxial for DTH, Cat 5 for Intercom and another Cat 5 cable from ACT Internet. Plan is to replace ACT cable with Optic Fiber.
Additionally, 4 core will give me the option of a second pipeline, should we need it in future

So I'm assuming you'll be splicing all four cores? Is that why the cost of splicing is 3k?

@pillaicha .. Yes. I asked them to prepare two pairs to be on a safer side and also in case we want another open line in future. They don't care much on how many we do. He's looking at the overall earnings for the time spent in travel+work.
My sister has already paid 6+1 months advance rental which is valid till April. So we can combine that bandwidth as well if really needed but that'll mean additional cost in Media Converter that needs to be considered.

@AD2011 .. thank you. I'll check these as well and come back.

Update: Yes, the cable with patch cords and Media Converter itself is cheaper but shipping is exorbitant. It's showing over 6k and 35k respectively. Is this normal?

Last edited:
if you’re in need of a switch as well on the other end (at your sister’s), consider a 2 port SFP switch.

I checked for Routers as well as switches with SFP but they are quiet expensive on their own + each 1 to 1.25G a Optic Fiber SFP's from decent brands are around 4-5k !

This is why I'm planning on a simple media converter for Optic Fiber to Enternet conversion and then use a normal Ethernet Wireless AC router that we already have

Update:- Optic Fiber based solution may work out cheaper after all.

Local ISP guy says he can get Mikrotek brand Media Converter for around 1,250 + tax.
He only has 4 core cable in stock and it'll cost Rs.8.5 + tax for each meter. Based on actual consumption.
As for the person who'll come for installation. He found someone who'll do it for approx Rs.4-5 per meter + Rs.500 extra for transport. Maybe add a couple of hundreds for 4-6 patch cords etc.
There are a lot of variables on actual cable usage but it should still be possible in under 7k overall !

What do you guys think?

What if the fiber breaks someday?
Do you have any redundancy over that?
I mean if splicing guy comes he can easily charge you as much he wants and offcourse you can't buy fiber splicer because that'll cost you upwards of 2 Lakh ₹.

We're hoping that won't happen. They'll use the black coloured 4 core Optic fiber cable that local ISP use outdoors. The are pretty thick and don't break easily. It's relatively safer in our case since everything goes in the ducts between two towers of the same Apartment complex. Both Airtel and ACT run their own cables through these same ducts