Printer Suggestions

• Thread starter Thread starter Sushubh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 148
  • Views Views 50,885
inkjet cartridges and laser printer toners would both die faster if you do not use them frequently. i am not sure which one dies faster. but one thing is for sure. toners are more expensive but provide cheaper printouts compared to cartridges. my friend is probably right when he says that i am a fool to buy a new printer for home. i hardly need to take out 40-50 printouts per year. most of them are when i am filing my tax returns. i can probably save a lot of money on the printer and cartridges costing by just getting it done at some cafe. but the fact remains, the convenience of having a printer at home is what i like. photocopy? scanning? printouts? even if it cost me like 20/30/40 bucks per page looking at the low usage which results on cartridges dying early. 🙁

laser color printers are bound to be more expensive. i have not checked rates recently but i would imagine that they would start at more than 10K. might be wrong about that though.

I am afraid of refilling costs of Inkjet!!!!!!!!!!!! Also its ink gets dry if we dont use it.

Pixma black cartridge costs995 with a cost per print of3.27, while the high capacity black cartridge costs1295 with a cost per print of2.43. Standard capacity color cartridge is priced at1355 with a page yield of 220, while high capacity color cartridge is priced at1565 and yields 349 pages. This makes it more expensive than its competitors & Laser in terms of cost per print :iomg::O:ishock:

So, I am thinking for a Budget black n white laser printer. I was given suggestion of HP 1007 (Rs. 5200) over Canon LBP 2900B (Rs. 5400). HP 1007 used to have a crappy chip on toner (to meter usage like most of the toner crap by HP) which has been removed as said by the dealer (Please confirm if you know??). Refilling cost around 100 - 150 bucks and gives around 1500 - 2000 pages. Actually if you know to refill then the powder box costs 80 bucks only. So costing per page < 25 paise as compared to inkjets heartattack.:iomg:

So i am thinking of going for HP 1007 as it supports duplex manually and has higher DPI (1200) as compared to Canon one.

What you guys say???

well yeah. i know pixma is going to cost me more than my old HP deskjet. it was recommended by a friend. all his recommendations have turned out to be great (and at times painful) including the hassles i face today with my Dell u2711 laptop 😛

My usage is good enough. But good in the sense that most printing is in B/W. When i get fed up of reading in PC, I print my Study stuff, which can at times run into 200 odd pages. But its in bursts.Today i print 200 odd pages. But then another such requirement comes after 4-5 months. Yes, i use it as a photocopier quite regularly.And may be i would love to have a color print occasionally.As discussed before, a laser color printer is expensive. So i wanted to know whether Inkjets are good or not, given my usage.

This is true as I broke inkjet printer of my friend in just one day 🙁It was an HP though and you have to bear with the khs khs khs khs sound it makes while printing.

You MUST Use preton saver ink saving software on your system (Free License for Home user but need to be renewed every year free of charge).

Ink Saver Software: Start Saving on Printer Ink & Toner Costs

It claims upto 70% saving of ink (yes it does!!!! at least 50%. Fantastic software) It will make a lot of savings for you. By the way What you say regarding my last query?????

---------- Post added at 03:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 AM ----------

Help me decide guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is true as I broke inkjet printer of my friend in just one day 🙁
It was an HP though and you have to bear with the khs khs khs khs sound it makes while printing.

same problem with my deskjet. would make tons of noise. would swallow paper and then throw it out. i decided to through the printer out. 😕

---------- Post added at 03:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 AM ----------

as for saving costs in printing, well you can always print in draft mode. use a light font... there was a font specifically designed for printing... claims to save on ink. never really tried it out. you might want to give it a test 🙂

The software that prints green fonts with holes | Ecofont heh. they made it a paid offering! wtf.

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 AM ----------

ecofont_vera_sans_regular.ttf found it on my machine from the time it was available for free... this might be an old variant.

---------- Post added at 03:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 AM ----------

might not be a good choice for study reading material though 🙁

https://imgur.com/uw9gj

Hehe why would we buy something that is available by competitor full featured for free for home user....If its not good for reading than wats the use???

I use fonts which are pleasing to eyes, one refill and I can print nothing less than 1500 pages, well, NP FTW

there are lot offers going on now with printers specially if one purchases a laptop they are giving it free lol

there are lot offers going on now with printers specially if one purchases a laptop they are giving it free lol

You talking about HP. Their free printer is a piece of junk. I have it. It has huge refilling cost

Yeah, I was searching for a wireless one 🙂
mmmmmm, I print a lot mmmm but I don't mind color prints too... eh! Grrr, a 20k printer, ouch.
Get a Wi-Fi router with USB compatibility...that's it

laser color printers are bound to be more expensive. i have not checked rates recently but i would imagine that they would start at more than 10K. might be wrong about that though.
In 1998 my friend started an Internet cafe & bought a HP CD Writer & HP Laser Mono Printer @ 20000 each. At that time Color Lasers were costing nearly a lakh.
my friend is probably right when he says that i am a fool to buy a new printer for home. i hardly need to take out 40-50 printouts per year. most of them are when i am filing my tax returns. i can probably save a lot of money on the printer and cartridges costing by just getting it done at some cafe.

but the fact remains, the convenience of having a printer at home is what i like. photocopy? scanning? printouts? even if it cost me like 20/30/40 bucks per page looking at the low usage which results on cartridges dying early. 🙁
This is the only product that i never even thought of buying it. DTP centres saves my day. I hardly take 25-50 pages(CV/Train ticket/Electricity bill) per year....so no big deal

Finally bought HP Laserjet P1007 for Rs. 5200 on following points:1. It does not have that crappy Smartchip for metering usage (like in 1020 or samsung models)2. Refill cost very low (powder box 80 bucks giving almost 1500 prints - 2000 prints). Drum costing around 200 bucks (Drum has a long life)3. Duplex mode - 2 sided printing (Manual). A important feature unavailable on Canon LBP 2900B.4. Higher DPI (1200 DPI) as against Canon LBP 2900B5. Double coating on drum as compared to Canon LBP 2900B5. Cheaper as compared to Canon LBP 2900B which prices around Rs. 54006. PCworld rated ut as No. 4 as compared to canon which is rated as No.57. Better energy star rating8. Although it misses parellel port or double tray or 1 year warranty as compared to canons 2 year but that hardly matters for me.Thought these points would be useful for you guys. Lets see how it performs.

nice. if i had no need for scanning and photocopying, i would have gone for a laser too. in any case, a deskjet sounds like a stupid purchase now 🙁