• Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 5,496

imdarkray

n00b
ISP
Airtel Xstream, Jio Fiber, Railwire, Siti, Airtel 4G, Jio 4G, VI
Hi,

I am looking to buy a Printer for home-usage. Any suggestion considering the following points is appreciated.
The expected usage is very less. might be one or two times a month (10 pages). Sometimes, it won't even be used for months. So I am expecting something in which the ink doesn't dry. After some of my research I am looking for these features:

1. Document scanning
2. Auto duplex printing
3. Auto Paper Feeder
4. Less frequent ink change (should not dry in case of long term non-usage)

If there is any other considerable feature that I am missing, please let me know.

Thank you.

Are you looking for adf when you say auto paper feeder?
Is colored required?

Upvote 0
I am not very sure. Something which scans/prints both sides together?
Yes. Color printing is must. Did you mean just black and white printers? Do they exist in this timeline 😛 ?

Upvote 0
Yes. Because laser are a good option if you are worried about ink drying.

I would recommend this. DCP-T820DW

But you would have to regularly take out a print to keep the head clean. That's what I am doing with mine without adf. I keep a sample page on my phone and take a print of it at high quality once every 10 days or so.

Upvote 0
This is the major issue for me.
Sometimes there would be no one available at my home for months who can take printouts. And I am worried, that would destroy the printer.

Upvote 0
I don't think auto scanning of both sides of the paper is a feature that is available on consumer printers though.

Upvote 0
Printing on both sides at once is also good enough. Just looking for the latest possible features.
Any idea about ink tank printers?

Upvote 0
the above model i linked is a ink tank printer! non ink tank printers with adf are cheaper. HP had a model for around 7k but ink is expensive and cartridges dry up due to non usage. in ink tank printers, head dries up but since ink is cheap, it is just simpler to take a dummy print now and then.

if you can ignore color, you can get a laser with duplex and adf that would not require regular usage as lasers do not suffer the drying problem. the more expensive option is to get a color laser with duplex and laser. brother's model starts at around 35K for this functionality.

i just re-read your post. as long as someone is at your home... you can just tell them to take a photocopy of a colored document. no one needs to learn printing. just turn it on and press the colored photocopy button. or you can configure remote printing and get someone to turn the printer on for you to take a print from your phone or something...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My HP 1020 laser printer has finally given up its ghost not sure it's repairable. Worked flawlessly for maybe 15 years. Looking for an equivalent laser printer which is just as simple & robust. Like @imdarkray mentioned my printer job are also few & far apart scanner is not required. Any suggestions about what I should opt for? The same printer has been taken off the HP site nor is it visible on ecommerce sites.

Upvote 0
Is it true that in Brother laser printers the cartridge & drum are two separate items which need to be changed regularly. Cartridge I can understand but this drum needing replacement is something new to me . Never had to change that in my old printer.

Upvote 0
@Nishant has looked into it so he might be able to answer. From my understanding have two parts makes it cheaper to replace cartridge as drum is only required to be replace after two or three cartridges?

Upvote 0
Yes. Cartridge and drum are two separate units though it is a single part as a whole. The toner fits into the drum unit.

IzjthyZ.jpg

1vKyifU.jpg

And you don't have to replace the drum as frequently as toner.

Upvote 0