PPPOE v/s MAC Authentication

• Thread starter Thread starter Smh
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4
  • Views Views 2,831

Smh

ISP
Wired local-AirtelFiber
My isp is using MAC based authentication and it is very easy to spoof it, if someone is already on the network they can easily use a network scanner get ip and mac of other users on the network. Honestly I don't know why anyone is even using this authentication system.

Web based login is really annoying so I don't want to use that or useless as anyone can use my account using the above method if I have already authenticated.

I noticed some weird usage pattern in my account should I recommend my isp to use PPPOE based authentication ? or any other method that do not require constant login

problem is my isp guy is completely clueless about technical stuff so he might blame me for hacking lol or just ignore

bump

If your ISP uses coax/DOCSIS then MAC Authentication is preferred as MAC Address is coded into the modem itself and is usually hard to spoof.
PPPoE is better for DSL/Fiber/Ethernet based isp as customers can use their own modem/router.

I think securing the network itself by changing the password of CPE and ISPs infrastructure and preventing access from outside is more important.

My old ISP, DEN used PPTP Authentication earlier. With a simple IP Scan I could access other people's modem and use the default password to get their logins. I emailed den about it and they changed to MAC Based authentication and also prevented users from accessing other routers

mine is Ethernet based, with simple scan I can find all ip and mac address

anyone can use any account by changing their mac address

using both Mac authentication and pppoe gives the best security.
and some settings needs to be changed to prevent other users from being visible. on routeros this is enabled by default for pppoe server.