Post Pictures of your first cell phone!!

• Thread starter Thread starter r0n
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 136
  • Views Views 16,456
Haha! Old Trick. Payed my sister in US to buy the 4S with contract. Gave it to me and still uses the 3Gs she earlier had.
Even i don't think its worth 44K. But for 20K. Amazing. 🙂

Well ...brother then it aint INR 20k , if you or sister had to sign a contract.
Contract = bottonless pit to throw your money.

Lets compare.
Apple iPhone 4S - 16 GB
With 2-year contract $199.99
Plan with AT&t
Nation 450 w/Rollover® Minutes (Cheapest plan) $39.99

DataPro 3GB for iPhone 4S $30.00

Messaging Unlimited with Mobile to Any Mobile Calling $20.00

One-Time Activation Fee $36.00

Monthly Charge = 39.99+30+20 = 89.99 + tax’s + other federal fee ( varies state by state)

Therefore after 2 years just for the monthly plan $2159. 79 + tax’s + other federal fee

Hence total spent after 2 year is

Cost of Plan 2159.76

Cost Phone 199.99 +tax

Activation Fee $36.00 +tax

Total cost before Tax’s and Fee’s for 24 months contract = $2395.75 + tax’s + other federal fee

(This other fees and tax’s can be up to $250.00 over the period of 24 months this is for California, but I am not going to add them up because I might be off by a few $ )

And if for any reason i have to cancel a contract for ATT the Cost is $350.00

AT&T MVO (Straight Talk)
Same coverage as AT&T + plus I get to roam on T-mobile if AT&T is not available by any chance.
No limit on minutes or messages. And I can tether without paying extra.

Monthly cost for plan = $45.00

2GB Data included =$0.00

Messaging included = $0.00
unlimited

Minutes included = $0.00
Unlimited

Since it is prepaid there is no tax in most States.

Total for cost for 2 years = $1080.00

Cost of Brand New Unlocked Iphone 4s 649.00+tax

Total cost 1080.00+649.00= 1729.00

Total Saving of 666.75 over a period of 2 years. I can buy another phone with that money or may be take a cruise or may be go to all inclusive holiday in bali or mexico or just spend it all on booze or take my girl out a few times to a fancy restaurant , or rent a Ferrari to drive for a day!!! Hmmmm now that sounds like a plan.

Edit:
please Another $15.00 for sim purchase for ST

here is what i see from his post. his sister is already using iPhone 3gs on att. on a contract probably. she opted for iphone 4s and probably extended the contract for another two years. she was probably going to stick with att for that period in any case. he took that iphone 4s from her. she is happy with her 3gs. i could be wrong though. unless the sister here gets annoyed with 3gs in the next two years, i do not see what is wrong with the whole scene.

One of the most awkward moments I have faced : Half a dozen friends/relatives asking me to bring an iPhone for them(Whatever version it was when I was there) for $200 & me trying to explain how it actually works and even failing a few times (including shutting up due to respect for elders, an age old custom of ours)

here is what i see from his post. his sister is already using iphone 3gs on att. on a contract probably.

she opted for iphone 4s and probably extended the contract for another two years. she was probably going to stick with att for that period in any case.

he took that iphone 4s from her. she is happy with her 3gs. i could be wrong though.

unless the sister here gets annoyed with 3gs in the next two years, i do not see what is wrong with the whole scene.

One of my friend told me that the benefits without contract were not too many & hence he preferred contract (Not sure about what r0n has posted above). He ended up carrying 3 phones during his return.

Just to add the 3rd one was a benefit for him (almost like free, just the $200 or whatever), he said he is going back to India , within 3-4 months of getting a new phone (with extension of contract) & they offered him to have $0 plan and unlock his phone for use outside US, so that he can use the same once he is back. He gleefully accepted.

contract phones give you better plans i guess. the best offer on the iPhone in the us market seems to be from cricket. 500 dollars for iphone 4s without contract. though it is the cdma version.

One of the most awkward moments I have faced : Half a dozen friends/relatives asking me to bring an iPhone for them(Whatever version it was when I was there) for $200 & me trying to explain how it actually works and even failing a few times (including shutting up due to respect for elders, an age old custom of ours)

my situation is sort of opposite. whenever i ask my friend in usa to order the nexus phone for me, his first question always is... would you be able to jailbreak it to make it work in india?

well he has been an iPhone user since the beginning. he does not really understand the concept of nexus devices. and every time tells me to get an iphone.

I just gave you details of Straight talk plan , and do tell me how is it better than ATT plan ?

Welcome | Straight Talk

Seriously, I have no clue. I told him, why not buy the phone or go for a cheaper plan, and thats what he sort of explained to me. Maybe he was not aware of such plans. I used company's mobile during my stay :sinister: & I did not care much about getting a phone for myself.

well he has been an iPhone user since the beginning. he does not really understand the concept of nexus devices. and every time tells me to get an iphone.
I have those kinds as well. They are like "Thanda matlab CocaCola" i.e "Smartphone matlab iphone"

Forget US, I have a friend of mine in India, who openly admitted getting an iphone4s, so that he can show off at office & nothing else.

Here is my present setup
Atrix MB860
SanDisk Mobile Ultra 32GB card
Motorola LapDock ( to replace my Laptop when i want to travel supper light)
It gives me a combined on the Go battery life to last a couple of days.
Everything Stock i did not want to use ROMs on my MB860 cause i did not want to deal with tweaks while running my Lap-dock.