Possible solution to MTNL NU Problem

• Thread starter Thread starter cyberwiz
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 63
  • Views Views 27,367
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know if the bridge method works in windows 2000 too. I havent been able to find the 'connect to internet' option in network & dial up options of win2k control panel

Hi Cyberwiz!U rock man! Thanks for such a lovely explaination! I was almost dead searching how to play NFS porsche with my frnds. Port forwarding stuff was killing me!Bridge connection is working gr8. Just have to verify if i can play games/stop connection bfore 8 now..By the way. does this thing work with Windows 98 too? I still have win 98se as my alternate boot 🙂Thanks again!

QUOTE(cyberwiz @ Jul 13 2005, 08:12 PM) [snapback]16065[/snapback]
Guys, this is a possible solution for automatically connecting and disconnecting the net within the free time for the NU plan.

The remedy lies in changing the mode used by the router for login. To do this first we have to enter the modem configuration page. After that click on "home" on the horizontal set of tabs and then on "wan" on the vertical set of tabs on the left side. Next change the wan setting (fifth option from top) from PPPoe/PPPoa to bridged mode. Scroll down and click apply.Now pls read the update that i have posted on the second page in this thread and do whatever is said in that.Now u can log on to the net using a pppoe client which is inbuilt in windows XP.

Now to automate the process download and install any task scheduler which has the capability of dialing network connections. U can also use the default windows task scheduler but that didnt work for me and i use advanced task scheduler to do the job for me. It flawlessly dials at 12:05 AM and disconnects at 7:50 AM
[/b]

################################################################

HI ALL,

This is Gaurav from Delhi using MTNl NU connection.This forum has been a lot of help.Am a first time visiter.I have configured my modem in the bridge mode with DHCP off ..created a dialer and that works fine.I am sure there would be no problems in ising a scheduler with the same.

However, my question is I am usinf a Netgear 54mbps wireless router along with D-Link 502 T ...could anyone suggest the configuration to have the bridge mode active with the wireless router

Shall I assign an IP manually to the router ??

Thanks

Gaurav

Okay, there are a few ways we can go about for the NU Problem.

The simplest is to program the modem that it disconnects with 5 mins of inactivity, and you simply stop your download manager at 7.30 odd.

The alternatives are

Manually reboot your connection

Use a Bridged Connection and login through your PC, thereby using the already mentioned method.

Use a Bridged Connection and if you have a Linksys router, you can program your linksys router to stop sending traffic.

The best is using the GLB-502T modem. This is because it works with a linux system inside. I am not sure of the older modems whether this works, but I personally have this, so i know it will. Simply telnet to your router, and login with root and whatever your router password is, and then try this: sleep ; reboot
So if you were doing this at 1AM , and you wished to reboot this in 2 mins: then you do sleep 120; reboot and enter. Therefore if you were at 1 AM and wanted to reboot at 7.30 am, you simple type

sleep 23400; reboot

So that means it will wait for 23400 seconds (6.5 hours) and then reboot the modem

Alternatively, you could schedule a task to automatically reboot the modem through TST.

192.168.1.1 23
WAIT "BusyBox on localhost login:"
SEND "root\m"
WAIT "Password"
SEND "admin\m"
WAIT "#"
SEND "reboot\m"
wait "#"[/b]

Scheduling would actually be the best way to go about, since your computer actually sends the signals to reboot the modem, this would force the modem to logoff and log back in in pppoe. Also, for those of you hving multiple machines, this could be a life saver. You could alternativelyt program it such that it reboots once at 0700 and then 0730 and then again at 0755 hours.

I think there is a way to shut it down as well, maybe init 0 or something. Its just that I dont have access to the router at present since i am on an alternate connection and had to unplug it. But im sure there should be a way to go about it.

I dont have my triband connection yet, i guess i gotta wait for a while. Once I get it, I probably would be playing around to get the most of it AGAIN 😉

Um....I'm a complete newbie....ive just switched over to TriB_NU from DSL_199.......and i too want to automate the download process. Could anyone please help me, I mean a step by step guide? I have a UTStar - 300R2U ADSL2 Modem.Could somebody explain to me what is the "bridged mode" and what is a "firmware" upgrade?

Apoorva:Your questions are already asked by someone and answered by some1 else as well.So pls search the forum. You will find it.

mtnlpacked:thats a robot. auto-registered. auto-posted.robot have no sense so no use cursing-cussing them

yeah buddy, you are speaking to a bot.better just report these posts to the mods so that they can delete them

^ [off topic] friends , pls donot quote such posts .
And do not respond directly to such . instead just
report them as gadgetcrazy said ...

Hey, where are all these bots coming from? Isn't there any way to stop 'em? They're polluting the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.