Port forwarding on Airtel broadband

ISP
Airtel
Hi,

I have Airtel Optic fibre broadband at home in Bangalore, Karnataka
The optic fibre connection is connected to an Alcatel Lucent Modem and then to D-Link Wifi router

I am trying to open a port in my wifi router using port forwarding.
But when I set any port and check if the port is open in online port checker on my public IP, it says port is closed.

Wanted to know if Airtel blocks port forwarding in Bangalore, does anyone have any idea on this ?
Also are there any setting to be done on Alcatel Lucent Modem to achieve this.

Thanks.
Pradeep

First, there's no "modem" in last-mile for Fibre Optics. There's an ONT/ONU.

Put the ONT in bridge mode, use your router to establish the connection, check if it works then. If not, Airtel is probably using CGNAT.

Upvote 0
@Dark_Nate I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does torrents or other things like games servers, downloads etc. work with CGNAT? Shouldn't they be blocked by the ISP as well?

Upvote 0
@Dark_Nate I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does torrents or other things like games servers, downloads etc. work with CGNAT? Shouldn't they be blocked by the ISP as well?
Yes, this was my question. I think we only get connected to peers with open ports. So, the torrent download speeds are slow with old/ bad torrents.

Reactions: a.c
Upvote 0
@Airtel2222 on CGNAT usually only incoming ports are blocked/filtered by the ISPs, so you can't host anything on your network and make it public easily (there are workarounds like ZeroTier or Tailscale though which uses NAT hole punching).

Whenever you make a connection to a website from browser, the source port is a random ephemeral port Ephemeral port - Wikipedia . This is why you are able to access websites and download torrents from other peers without ports conflicting with other users.

Upvote 0
ohhkk.. one question i'am playing rainbow six seige on ps4 & have airtel fibre connection, for this game peering points are available at Chennai for Singapore and Mumbai for Europe through azure servers, that means my port forwarding on my router won't work for this game unless its set in bridge mode and have static ip, means regardless of my port forwarding it will always go throuh these peering points having open ports ?
will it affect my ping? (currently getting 84 ms)

Upvote 0
You could turn UPnP on your router and the game will request the router to open the port without forwarding. Airtel Fiber has one public IP address for each customer not CGNAT.

Upvote 0
but through the traceroute its showing that i have dynamic ip which is being allocated from ip pool set of airtel each time i start my Nokia ont router(which i can't set in bridge mode since its not Huawei), if i am not wrong one has to pay 99 a month for getting a static public ip on airtel fibre, as told to me by airtel representative?
Just want to know will getting an public ip of mumbai or chennai (peering points) will help me in getting a better ping on rainbow six game ?

Upvote 0
im not sure about that as I'm not on Airtel but afaik Airtel provides a single public dynamic IP Address to each customer.
I dont get your second question. The routing remains around the same on Airtel regardless of IP.

Upvote 0
i though static ip route through other gateway than dynamic ip ?
Also what i need to get ping at around 68 ms from 82 ms ?
should i ask them analyse the reverse traceroute from azure server end ?

Upvote 0