Port Forwarding Issues on You Broadband

ISP
You Broadband
Hi All

Has anyone setup port forwarding successfully on You Broadband?

I have setup using below steps but not able to see any response.

1. I have You broadband connection and using it via my home router. I connect to ISP using PPPOE and my phones and laptops connect via Belkin router
2. I have setup a basin web server on port 80 on one of my laptop for testing
3. Configured port forward entries at my router level
4. Tried accessing using the public IP(Visible throug whatsmyip.com)
5. I get an error connection timeout when I try to hit my public IP
6. I tried disabling firewalls at laptop and router level as well

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

The first and important thing to consider here is whether or not that public IP is getting assigned to you or not. In your router, the WAN IP, does it match what is showing on whatismyip.com?

If they do match, you are forwarding the http port, means it would be considered web server traffic. Does You broadband allow you to host a web server?

Check the above let me know.

Thanks for reply.

No, I see different IP address under "Static" section of WAN settings in router. This seems to be automatically assigned by ISP. But my WhatsMyIP IP is different.

I contacted my ISP for this and their response is awaiting. Isn't it common for ISPs to support port forwarding?

Thanks
Ganesh

Ok, the IP in the WAN section, what is it? It may very well be a LAN IP.

ISPs ideally don't need to support port forwarding if they assign a WAN IP to your router/modem directly. In that case, you need to forward the ports yourself, the ISPs tech support can assist you with the steps, provided its something in their scope of support. However, it is common for ISPs to block port 80 to dissuade users from running their own web servers. It all depends on the ISP though.

The WAN IP is different than my LAN IP. The LAN IP is DHCP enabled which is 192.168.2.1. The IP in WAN looks more like generated by ISP but that is not the public IP. I noticed my public IP seen in WhatsMyIP and the WAN IP both keep changing after some interval and both are different. I will try changing my service port to something different as per your point that ISP may block port 80.

The other issue is the fact that a lot of the smaller ISPs due to the overall shortage of IPv4 addresses, have a tendency to allot LAN IPs to their customers and route them using a NAT, which is why I was asking to share the WAN IP you see in the router. If it is a LAN IP, then unless the NATing is open, no amount of port forwarding will resolve your issue.

hi ganesh I am actually facing the same problem.
have you found any solution to this ?

Hi team,

I am also facing same issue and youbrodband don’t seem to be helping. My Whatsmyip and router WAN ip is also different. Please help me.

thanks and regards,
Pushkar

Something fishy regarding ping in youbroadband, ping stuck at 20 ms but am lagging in game. I thought it was my device issue but after changing device got to know the same. Can anyone tell me what's wrong ?

Hi MeanMachine,
Thanks for reply. But will it really help?
As of now I was using Noip.com which usually help me for port forwarding.
On the other hand ISP has blocked each and every port on my network. When I called them they are saying that except 25 all ports are open and free for customer use. But practically it doesn’t seem to be.

I am also attaching some screenshots which might help.

can you suggest something on this.
Thanks in advance.
Awaiting reply.

Regards,
Pushkar Deshpande

Attachments

• 80F16BD6-B472-45EF-8016-14728BAE8B9D.webp
    80F16BD6-B472-45EF-8016-14728BAE8B9D.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 381
  • 8F55F97D-3706-4882-9F5E-9CF9E64C50E8.webp
    8F55F97D-3706-4882-9F5E-9CF9E64C50E8.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 282
To everyone in this thread,

All YOU Broadband connections are allocated under CG NAT. Meaning there are multiple users under a single public IP.

If you want to port forward, you will have to purchase a static IP from them.

t
You might be able to purchase static IP from them.
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
But is it essential to have once?
You Broadband claim that except 25 port, all other are free to use for customer.
My WAN IP looks as "100.69.xxx.xxx" and laptop Public IP looks like "123.201.xxx.xx"

Will this issue will be solved after getting static IP?

However, I registered my router to NOIP.COM and it is regularly updating my WAN IP "100.69.xxx.xxx" in there.

t
Hi,
Thanks for reply.
But is it essential to have once?
You Broadband claim that except 25 port, all other are free to use for customer.
My WAN IP looks as "100.69.xxx.xxx" and laptop Public IP looks like "123.201.xxx.xx"

Will this issue will be solved after getting static IP?

However, I registered my router to NOIP.COM and it is regularly updating my WAN IP "100.69.xxx.xxx" in there.

I mentioned the term 'CG NAT' (Carrier-grade Network Address Translation) in my previous post. If you could look it up, all your questions will be solved.

If you don't want to get a static IP, you will have to use services like No-IP or a reverse SSH tunnel.

There was Serveo.net for forwarding a single port but I think it shutdown.

EDIT:
There's also ngrok.

Last edited: