• Replies Replies 10
  • Views Views 11,796
Status
Not open for further replies.

hitman

Regulars
ISP
Airtel
Tata indicom broadband has provided me one email account on purachse of their connection. Anyone have any idea what is the pop3 and smtp address to access email from email client like incredimail. Currently I am usingPOP3 (Incoming) Server Name: mail.eth.net SMTP (Outgoing) Server Name: smtp.eth.netBut it does not work. So anyone have any idea ??

You wud also require to know which ports they are using which is most of the time different for different Email providers and sometimes also different for different Email clients ,so ask tata indicom itself or better go for gmail,united email systems which also provide great space and allow big attachments.There is one more reason why these Email ids have got no use ,though these are premiun accounts with features like pop3 access,but in future if you quit Tata and join some other ISP than they wud ask you to pay up yearly fees to continue these accounts the way usa.net asked its subscribers when it went commercial .Hence its better to continue with good old rediff and yahoo but if you still want pop3 enabled email addresses go for gmail , united email systems or megamail which are free .

I too don't use the email accounts provided by sify or tata. I have my own domain and server so email account is not a prob. But i was just wondering if tht pop3 and smtp, tht tata have provided on their site works for anyone.

Originally posted by hitman@Aug 7 2005, 10:18 PM
Tata indicom broadband has provided me one email account on purachse of their connection. Anyone have any idea what is the pop3 and smtp address to access email from email client like incredimail. Currently I am using

POP3 (Incoming) Server Name: mail.eth.net
SMTP (Outgoing) Server Name: smtp.eth.net

But it does not work. So anyone have any idea ??
[snapback]20304[/snapback]
[/quote]

i suggest u start with google's gmail. it is the best emailing solution yet in my opinion.

I have a progy installed called yahoo pops which can use web based yahoo mail with my outlook express. I can also send mail through yahoo by my mail client. Ppl can try this, just google with the word yahoo pops & you will find it.

Originally posted by hitman@Aug 12 2005, 11:33 AM
I too don't use the email accounts provided by sify or tata. I have my own domain and server so email account is not a prob. But i was just wondering if tht pop3 and smtp, tht tata have provided on their site works for anyone.
[snapback]21043[/snapback]
[/quote]

Unless you don't care about service [change] notifications, you are fine. 😀

i hate having an account on my own domain (sushubh.com and sushubh.net) for two reasons. the servers i have are definitely not as reliable as Google's and the interface for the webmail services are no comparison to Google Gmail.

I dont like gmail ,cos not reliable ,its servers were down for about 45 days cont. last month and I cud not access my mail,anyway i dont think gmail is gonna provide all those goodies for free when it goes commercial,its not viable for any mail service provider ,not only financially but also technical feasibility(the servers wud be down for ever).Any way even I had found a method to retrieve mail through any of my webmail interface based Email providers (rediff,hotmail,yahoo etc..) on outlook and incredimail ,using free programmes web2pop,mrpostmaster.

If one still insist for pop enabled go for gmail or even better bluebottle(much more reliable)

have you seen blogger? google provides it for free without ads. and they are pretty reliable. gmail has ads, ads which are non intrusive. 45 days? ha. your net connection would have been flawed. i am using it since april 2004 everyday all the time. except for a couple of minutes, no downtime and excelletn services.

bluebottle is among rare email providers which does not have any ads anywhere on their website,They dont even include any tag lines in any of out going mails(like invitations etc).I was really annoyed when ECFMG(Education commission for foreign medical graduates,US) threatened me last month to ban my email address(rediff) if i dont changre my mail id sooner than latter (REdiff always included an adv> of shaadi.com in all my outgoing mails)

QUOTE(hitman @ Aug 7 2005, 10:18 PM) [snapback]20304[/snapback]
Tata indicom broadband has provided me one email account on purachse of their connection. Anyone have any idea what is the pop3 and smtp address to access email from email client like incredimail. Currently I am using

POP3 (Incoming) Server Name: mail.eth.net
SMTP (Outgoing) Server Name: smtp.eth.net

But it does not work. So anyone have any idea ??
[/b]

The settings given on TATA indicom broadband website for pre-paid account also works for post-paid account. Those guys have given the eth settings on the website, for eth, which was purchased a while back, and the mindless VSNL reps just don't have a clue as to what's going on, since the settings have been changed.

Use the following:

POP3 Server name: mail.vsnl.net
SMTP Server name: smtp.vsnl.net

Anyway, you are better off using yahoo mail (not gmail! - look at their privacy policy - THEY read all YOUR messages! Why in the world would you allow such a thing?!)

Hope it helps 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.