Poor service from ACT.... and the modem/cable hasn't even been installed!

ISP
Reliance (Not Reliant)
I currently live in Bangalore and I've been having a huge problem with ACT Broadband. I was introduced to your forum by a friend of mine and might I say how glad I am to find that it isn't just me who have been apparently diddled by this ISP.
On the evening of the 11th, I spoke to an ACT subscription agent, a Mr. Sajid to enquire about the connection being advertised by them for high speed internet connections. I then decided to opt for the 15 MBps plan which I then paid for 6 months advanced payment (an amount to the tune of close to INR 6700 or so) so that I can avail of a free Wi Fi router and Installation. At the time, I was told the connection would be up and running in 7 days.
On the 13th, I received a confirmation e-mail from them thanking me for my cheque which they encashed promptly. On the same day, I was visited by two representatives of their company, a Mr. Vinod and a linesman who had come to perform the installation. In the process of doing so, I discovered that they had planned to take the connection from a "Distribution Point (DP)" which was located on private property, the owners of which had gone on vacation and wouldn't be back until Friday. This Mr. Vinod then promptly responded that they would return the next day between 2:30 P.M. to 3:00 P.M. to attempt to install the connection again. I took time off my busy schedule to be home during the given time so as not to cause inconvenience, only to be inconvenienced myself - Mr.Vinod didn't bother to call until I took the initiative at approximate 3:15 P.M. to ask if they would be coming. He claimed to have visited the house to find it still locked, and that they would not be able to know for sure until Saturday evening. We were then given no further update on the situation.
Since then, attempts to reach Mr. Vinod on his cellphone have resulted with him not answering the phone. My calls to the original subscription agent, Mr. Sajid, have led to half hearted vague responses of speaking to "the office" which again, have resulted in nothing. On top of this, I have also filed two more complaints in the past 2 days to have something done ( by phone, a call handled by Agent Rupa, second complaint was handled via e-mail, which recieved a generic response e-mail with no action taken). This morning I also got to speak to fellow named Mr. Nithin (after yelling at that Sajid fellow, he finally coughed out some info on his superior) who then promised to call back. He didn't and we had to call him back - he then promised me that this Mr. Sajid would come by at 2:30 in the afternoon and the line would be installed today itself. So, I waited and as is to be expected, 2:30 came and went - called up Mr. Sajid only to be given, once again, some vague response of something been done. He then claimed that "the owner of the house where the Distribution Point was installed had returned and was refusing to let them install more connections because he didn't want any more wires coming into his house", apparently. Such are the wise infrastructure decisions of ACT Broadband in the Ulsoor Lake area.
So now, I'm stuck waiting for these people to rub their two IQ points together, hopefully start a fire with it and somehow manage to get my installation done - thankfully I didn't cancel my existing (and equally terrible) Hathway connection because my month wasn't up yet. I find it really bizarre that an organization would choose to install their DP in the bedroom of someone's house (as opposed, to say, you know, a building with security guards and whose roof can still be accessed even if everyone in the building went to Rishikesh or were dying of dysentery in their own apartments [color=rgb(34,34,34);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, Verdana, sans-serif;font-size:14px;]ಠ_ಠ[/color]) and on top of that, actually expect that to not be a problem in case the people living in that house go on vacation and leave up at their mercy in case our net should go down. Hell, it actually sounds more and more like a fraudulent business practice.
In any case, I suppose nothing will be done if I complain yet again because, I will, as expected, get a generic reply from ACT telling me that they are "very sorry for my inconvenience and that they will do their best to rectify this situation". Nothing ever gets done, but they're still very sorry, apparently.
I haven't even had the modem or the line even laid down and I'm running pillar to post with their customer service - two complaints lodged in 11 days, each of which were promised to be rectified in 48 hours. I suppose this is only an omen of things to come if this is the way they run.
As a public service message, might I suggest that for the benefit of those living in your building, if you do see some unscrupulous agent stick their ACT Broadband sticker in your lift/hallways, kindly remove them - if not for restoring the beauty of the wall, but atleast to prevent people from getting conned like this. Think of it as your good deed for the day and a service to the public at large.
Sincerely,
One more "customer" who got "excellent service" from "the beshtest ISP in India".
Edit #1 (26/06/2013) : So far, no connection, no modem, no word from ACT Broadband. It has now been 15 days since we first contacted them (11th June 2013) and 13 days since they encashed the cheque (13th June 2013). This means that they are now over their own company policy of having a connection installed by more than a week, by almost a week in itself.
Since the time that this problem of mine had been first posted on here, there have been quite a few responses from ACT Broadband, but no action has been taken.
Here are the PM's I sent and received on this forum on the matter.

Also, here was the responses I received when I spoke about my experience on another forum. Once again, no action has been taken, despite all relevant information being provided. To be fair, the user ACTBroadband was created on that forum (Reddit) with the sole reason being to respond to my experience and as such, I cannot verify with full authority on whether that was a genuine representative of ACT Broadband or it was just someone messing with me. Could an admin please ask for verification in private that the person from broadband.act is actually a representative of the service? It would seem that the only thing most of us here are getting are just copy pasted responses with no actual solutions to the problem which either buys them more time or trying to impress us with their customer outreach.
Edit #2 (26/06/2013) 10 A.M. : My father placed a call with Mr. Nithin (mentioned earlier in this wall o 'text) who then told him first that a man had already come to set up everything on the terrace and everything was ready to lay down the wire. We then pointed out that our terrace has always been under lock and key and that there couldn't have possibly been any activity on our terrace owing to the fact that the sole key has always been in our possession. In the face of what was a blatant lie, he said there must've been some mistake in communication from his field staff and then promised to send one of them, a Mr. Ashok to hook our connection up.
We then called Mr. Ashok a fair few times, the first couple of times ended with him not picking up his phone. When he finally did, however, he was quite vague when asked to give a firm answer on when we should expect him. His answer was "Sir, I will come at 9-10-11 o'clock, sir" My father, annoyed at his vagueness, responded irritably "So, we shall have you hear by 12-1-2 o'clock, then?" The silence at the other end of the line confirmed that Mr. Ashok was a bit peeved.
Edit #3 (26/06/2013) 12 P.M. : We have been graced by the presence of a celebrity - The Nodal officer, Mr. Kiran Kumar, placed a call to my father round close to noon today and wanted to find out the full details of what exactly transpired uptil now. My father, at this point being quite thoroughly ticked off at the proceedings, proceeded to give him a piece of his mind of what his experience was thus far. He then asked for some time with which to resolve the situation. Almost immediately after this, a linesman (A chap named Vijay) showed up and asked me where he could install the DP box and so forth. As I write this now, he is in the process of setting it up.
Mr. Kiran Kumar, if you happen to be reading this right now, I do apologize for my fathers irritability - as a diabetic and person suffering from hypertension, he does not suffer stress and aggravation well and constant vague responses from people who were quick to collect the money from us at the time of signing up for the service only served to get on his nerves. I would also like to thank you for expediting the matter thus far. If your juniors were as efficient at their work as you seem to be, ACT would really be going places.
And now, I shall wait to see the activation of the service and the quality of it thereafter.
Edit #4 (26/06/2013) 1:30 P.M. : Vijay has finished installing the line. He has informed me that another technician will be coming in an hours time to finalize the setting up of the router and the activation of the connection.
Edit #5 (26/06/2013) 2:30 P.M. : As Vijay had mentioned before leaving, two technicians (Ashok and a person whose name I couldn't quite catch, I think it was Muniz) came by with the modem. They had everything hooked up within a few minutes (after visiting the terrace to do something with the DU for about 15 or so minutes) and all was well with the world. After the technicians left (collected my dad's signature after verifying the speed for him via Speedtest.net), my dad again recieved a phone call from Mr. Kiran Kumar (The Nodal Officer) who wanted to make sure everything was taken care of.
So thank you, Mr. Kiran Kumar, for intervening in the matter and preventing this issue from dragging on for a few more weeks. I had made a few suggestions to you regarding your presence here on this forum - I sincerely hope you will take them into consideration in future.
For the record, it has taken us a total of 15 days to have our connection set up from initial contact to final installation and verification. Perhaps in future, this time can be amended for future subscribers of the service.

Hello Siddharthbala,
We are extremely sorry for the inconvenience. We will make sure the problem is resolved at the earliest. Please provide us your registered contact number or a Customer ID and we will get back to you ASAP.
Regards,
ACT Broadband

PM has been sent with the requested information. Let's see how this goes.
Edit #1 (26/06/2013) :[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Verdana, arial, sans-serif;font-size:small;] So far, no connection, no modem, no word from ACT Broadband. It has now been 15 days since we first contacted them (11th June 2013) and 13 days since they encashed the cheque (13th June 2013). This means that they are now over their own company policy of having a connection installed by more than a week, by almost a week in itself.[/color]
Edit #2 (26/06/2013) 10 A.M. : My father placed a call with Mr. Nithin (mentioned earlier in this wall o 'text) who then told him first that a man had already come to set up everything on the terrace and everything was ready to lay down the wire. We then pointed out that our terrace has always been under lock and key and that there couldn't have possibly been any activity on our terrace owing to the fact that the sole key has always been in our possession. In the face of what was a blatant lie, he said there must've been some mistake in communication from his field staff and then promised to send one of them, a Mr. Ashok to hook our connection up.

We then called Mr. Ashok a fair few times, the first couple of times ended with him not picking up his phone. When he finally did, however, he was quite vague when asked to give a firm answer on when we should expect him. His answer was "Sir, I will come at 9-10-11 o'clock, sir" My father, annoyed at his vagueness, responded irritably "So, we shall have you hear by 12-1-2 o'clock, then?" The silence at the other end of the line confirmed that Mr. Ashok was a bit peeved.

Edit #3 (26/06/2013) 12 P.M. : We have been graced by the presence of a celebrity - The Nodal officer, Mr. Kiran Kumar, placed a call to my father round close to noon today and wanted to find out the full details of what exactly transpired uptil now. My father, at this point being quite thoroughly ticked off at the proceedings, proceeded to give him a piece of his mind of what his experience was thus far. He then asked for some time with which to resolve the situation. Almost immediately after this, a linesman (A chap named Vijay) showed up and asked me where he could install the DP box and so forth. As I write this now, he is in the process of setting it up.

Mr. Kiran Kumar, if you happen to be reading this right now, I do apologize for my fathers irritability - as a diabetic and person suffering from hypertension, he does not suffer stress and aggravation well and constant vague responses from people who were quick to collect the money from us at the time of signing up for the service only served to get on his nerves. I would also like to thank you for expediting the matter thus far. If your juniors were as efficient at their work as you seem to be, ACT would really be going places.

And now, I shall wait to see the activation of the service and the quality of it thereafter.

Edit #4 (26/06/2013) 1:30 P.M. : Vijay has finished installing the line. He has informed me that another technician will be coming in an hours time to finalize the setting up of the router and the activation of the connection.

Edit #5 (26/06/2013) 2:30 P.M. : As Vijay had mentioned before leaving, two technicians (Ashok and a person whose name I couldn't quite catch, I think it was Muniz) came by with the modem. They had everything hooked up within a few minutes (after visiting the terrace to do something with the DU for about 15 or so minutes) and all was well with the world. After the technicians left (collected my dad's signature after verifying the speed for him via Speedtest.net), my dad again recieved a phone call from Mr. Kiran Kumar (The Nodal Officer) who wanted to make sure everything was taken care of.
So thank you, Mr. Kiran Kumar, for intervening in the matter and preventing this issue from dragging on for a few more weeks. I had made a few suggestions to you regarding your presence here on this forum - I sincerely hope you will take them into consideration in future.
For the record, it has taken us a total of 15 days to have our connection set up from initial contact to final installation and verification. Perhaps in future, this time can be amended for future subscribers of the service.

Hello Siddharth Bala,
The above mentioned grievance has been addressed & resolved. Please feel free to get in touch with us on 080 4284 0000 or write to us at helpdesk@acttv.in if you have any queries. Thank you for your cooperation.

Warm Regards,
ACT Broadband

I hate to necro old threads, but I'm back with a small problem.
This morning, 31st July 2013), two of ACT's linesmen, A Mr. Venkat and a Mr. Ashok, came by and stated that as a routine precaution for ACT users in the area, they were installing secondary lines to the DP boxes and wanted to carry it out on my DP box as well.
They did their job, but they left before I could just double check and make sure that in the process of installing their second line, they didn't knock mine loose (which, it would seem they've done).
The last time I had a problem with ACT, I was fortunate enough to have Mr. Kiran Kumar, the nodal officer, step in and resolve the issue in the matter of a single day. Considering this is likely a problem that could be solved in a few minutes by a linesman visiting my place to make sure there are no problems, I sincerely hope that ACT can help me out.
About the connection itself thus far, seeing as I've had the connection for a while now - I do have to say, the speed is exactly what it says on the tin, and it's an excellent connection with no drops whatsoever.
ACT Broadband, please help me out here - I've also sent a message to your helpdesk@acttv.in just so there is an official record of the problem.

siddharthbala said:
I hate to necro old threads, but I'm back with a small problem.
This morning, 31st July 2013), two of ACT's linesmen, A Mr. Venkat and a Mr. Ashok, came by and stated that as a routine precaution for ACT users in the area, they were installing secondary lines to the DP boxes and wanted to carry it out on my DP box as well.
They did their job, but they left before I could just double check and make sure that in the process of installing their second line, they didn't knock mine loose (which, it would seem they've done).
The last time I had a problem with ACT, I was fortunate enough to have Mr. Kiran Kumar, the nodal officer, step in and resolve the issue in the matter of a single day. Considering this is likely a problem that could be solved in a few minutes by a linesman visiting my place to make sure there are no problems, I sincerely hope that ACT can help me out.
About the connection itself thus far, seeing as I've had the connection for a while now - I do have to say, the speed is exactly what it says on the tin, and it's an excellent connection with no drops whatsoever.
ACT Broadband, please help me out here - I've also sent a message to your helpdesk@acttv.in just so there is an official record of the problem.
Hello Siddharthbala,We apologize for the issue you are facing. We have your customer details. Our team will shortly get in touch with you. We will appreciate your cooperation on the same.Regards,ACT Broadband

Please do so - haven't heard anything from your support staff yet and would like this to end ASAP.I am now currently forced to type this from my phone through Airtel's internet (an ancient N70) as there's no internet and nobody has come to fix it yet.Am hoping it gets fixed (it seems like it's trivial as the linesmen have likely disconnected something in the process of installing this additional "emergency backup" line) as it is starting to become a serious problem and I have now been left without internet for over 24 hours.Edit #1 (02/08/2013) - Well, it's been two days without internet and so far, nobody's showed up. However, I have recieved multiple reassurances, which are about as useful as a rubber crutch. These "assurances" are listed below:1. Broadband.act up there in yonder post. Considering nobody contacted me that day, it makes me wonder what the term "shortly" means to the fine ladies and gentlemen of ACT Broadband.2. Naresh, one of the two customer care people I spoke to thus far, who told me they'd rectify the problem at the end of the day (1st August 2013). Didn't happen.3. Recieved a rather generic looking e-mail from the nodal officer's email telling me that the issue "has been escalated with the concern(sic) department" this morning (2nd August 2013)4. Spoke with a second customer care executive, Reshmi, who told me the same thing - that they'd rectify the problem today (2nd August 2013). As of 2:30 P.M., this is looking extremely unlikely.Edit #2 (02/08/2013 04:30 P.M.) - Spoke to another customer care executive, Mr. Chandrashekhar, who now tells me that there is some issue with the fiberoptic cable and again tells me the same thing as the other two CC execs.Unsatisfied with an answer that has previously proved to be false, I asked to speak to his Superior. After being put on hold for about 5 minutes or so, I was put on the line with a Mr. Umashankar, who reiterated what Mr. Chandrashekhar said, and gave me a verbal guarantee that the problem would be resolved by 7 o' clock today evening.Color me skeptical, because if it doesn't get fixed by tonight, then it's pretty much a dead cert that this weekend is going to go without internet as well and that this was CC's way of "handling" me/buying more time at my expense. Let's see - at this point, I'm kind of regretting letting them touch my building's DP in the first place.

Edit #3 (02/08/2013 07:15 P.M.) As expected, my internet is still dead, despite the verbal assurance from Mr. Umashankar regarding the restoration of my internet by 7 o' clock. How unsurprising it was when I called past 7 o' clock (as I warned him I would) only to discover (through another CC exec, Mr. Shivakumar) that he had left for the day, to enjoy his weekend.My conversation with Mr. Shivakumar yielded no result at all, as attempts to speak to his superior, a Mr. Shanth were refused (He was attending another call, apparently) He then "reassured" me that another teammate would call me back.Suuuuuure.Fairly certain at this point that I will be left without internet this weekend thanks to the shitty runaround I'm getting from ACT's Customer Care.At this rate, it looks like they'll take a week just to fix it, if I'm lucky - and to think, my problems started with ACT's "routine maintenance"...
Edit #4 (03/08/2013 2:15 P.M.) Today, at about 08:30 or so in the morning, I recieved a call from Mr. Kiran Kumar, ACT's Nodal officer, who took note of my update regarding the state of my connection last night and wanted to let me know that he would be expediting the process of getting my connection fixed so that my troubles would end today.
At about 11:45 A.M., I received a call from from one of ACT's technical staff, who said that he'd be dropping by in about half an hour. However, this did not happen so I placed another call at about 12:45 P.M. and once again, he said he had been delayed and would be there in another half hour.
At about 1:15 P.M., two technical staff members (A Mr. Gowda and another whose name was told to me, but I forgot) finally arrived and set about the process to determine the cause of the fault. However, unfortunately, they had failed to bring a key that was able to open up the Distribution box and other measures needed to be taken to get it open. Once done, it was determined that the LAN cable crimping was an issue, most likely caused due to the linesmen having incorrectly removed and re-inserted the cable after doing their "scheduled maintainance" work on the 31st. The cable was then duly re-crimped and the line was active again, confirmed by me in front of them.
Thus ends the saga of my first technical fault with ACT Broadband, which began with problems created during a "routine maintainance".
At about 2:10 P.M. I recieved a call from a Mr. Shashank from ACT's customer care, who wanted to talk about my problem as I had placed 7 calls in three days to get it fixed without seeing it resolved. I then happily informed him that the problem was sorted and it could be marked resolved.
As an aside, I would like to point out that this was the second time that Mr. Kiran Kumar, ACT's nodal officer, has had to step in to intervene in an issue. This, and the fact that Mr. Shashank from CC was as of yet unaware that my matter was resolved when he wished to speak about my "ongoing problem" seems to show a bit of disconnect between ACT's Customer Care and it's field staff, which is something that needs to be solved.
I would also like to (again) thank Mr. Kiran Kumar for his timely assistance in thisa manner. If only all of ACT's staff could respond with the speed of greased lightning that Mr. Kumar seems to display when dealing with customers thoroughly frustrated with the vague and weaselworded answers given by customer care, ACT would be top of the charts as far as I'm concerned.

broadband.act said:
Hello Siddharthbala,We apologize for the issue you are facing. We have your customer details. Our team will shortly get in touch with you. We will appreciate your cooperation on the same.Regards,ACT Broadband
Hello Siddharthbala,
The above mentioned grievance has been addressed & resolved. Please feel free to get in touch with us on 080 4284 0000 or write to us at helpdesk@acttv.in if you have any queries. Thank you for your cooperation.Warm Regards,ACT Broadband