Plex Geeks? I need a hardware setup for Plex.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 87
  • Views Views 10,496
I saw few advertisements. They give 100 usd of free credits, you can use them.

@varkey Basically, I want to know how much bandwidth Zerotier can handle.

I don't know the technical specifics. But I believe speed might be little different.

Could you do a test?

As much as the link supports, ZeroTier's overhead is minimal.
Most likely there would be direct connectivity between both devices (ZeroTier uses UDP so UDP hole punching might do the trick, anyway all this happens in the background)

If there is a direct path, no traffic ever goes through ZeroTier servers, it's like the two nodes communicating directly, and will support whatever speeds a direct link would support. I've reached 200 + Mbps (Spectra to AWS Mumbai)

It also depends on the node itself, cause it depends on the CPU of the VM as well, but unless you are looking for gigabit speeds shouldn't be an issue.

@varkey I am looking for the 100Mbps up/down (Future Proof) for now.

What exactly you do btw? 😕 Are you Linux System Admin?

Right now I am in Kerala and with my BSNL 50 Mbps connection, this is what I get through a droplet in DO Bangalore from various servers.

The Germany one, I think connectivity from DigitalOcean itself isn't so great, so the speeds are a bit less. The tests to Bangalore and Singapore shows that ZeroTier itself doesn't add much of an over head.

This is a base install, launched a VM, installed ZeroTier, setup IP masquerade and configured ZeroTier to use the DO box as the default gateway on the client.

I think a DO droplet should be able to do 100 mbps provided you have connectivity to/from DO (or to whichever cloud provider you use) and can achieve those speeds if you remove ZeroTier.

Is there any alternative to Zerotier or any linux way to have connectivity among multiple systems if the main system cant be port-forwarded because of ISP's restriction/infra.

Hi @varkey, I did some tests.

Zerotier has speed issues.

It can't even handle 10Mbps of speed.

Sometimes where other setup gives speed of 20Mbps. Zerotier only shows 2-3 Mbps only.

Other Setup (theoretically doing same thing what zerotier is supposed to do) / It's not LAN:

qLlYSDW.png

Zerotier:

fhCfnEk.png

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you testing this? ZeroTier is doing what exactly here?

Please explain the network setup in both cases. Also, is there direct connectivity between the two ZeroTier members?

Other Setup (theoretically doing same thing what zerotier is supposed to do) / It's not LAN:

Please explain this too. As I had shown earlier, it can easily do much higher speeds, so I'd like to understand how you have it setup, and what is the role ZeroTier is doing your use case. Cause from the screenshots, both appears to be showing Jio as the ISP (so you are not using a cloud VM), so which segment of your network goes via ZeroTier?

@varkey Any idea, What I can use to download the files using the Web Browser from my Windows Plex Box?

Right now, I have to mount the drive, then copy paste it.

But, what if I could simply open a simple page in the web browser and download the file from there without need to have the password or login or anything.

Secondly, since I don't have port-forwarding. Yes, I will be using it on the local network only.

@ajgamer Just curious, why do you need to download the file? If you want to play the video file on VLC or some other player, you could just directly open the file using the player and it would play over the network (NFS or CIFS)

Anyway if you need an HTTP interface, you could setup a web server and map it to the folder containing the videos or files.

@varkey I am using this media server as downloading other stuff too for example softwares and other stuff (which aren't media).

So, to copy / fetch those files onto my main system. I am using Map Drive right now.

But, there are many devices where I don't want to use map-drive because of security reasons.

How can I get the files without map-drive?