Plex Geeks? I need a hardware setup for Plex.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 63558
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 87
  • Views Views 10,501
Updated the previous post. So after I change the video playback settings to convert the video to 720p, it starts transcoding.

78JpiEs.png

And my CPU gets maxed out 😀, although it's playing without buffering in this case, as Plex at times tries to transcode as much as possible in advance using the available CPU.

zGNpTQR.png

@varkey What should be the monthly bill for NUC (8i3) based on Delhi Electricity Board?

Looking at the above say on avg it uses 15w, that would be only 10 units or so per month. I don't know the rates of Delhi Electricity Board, but say on avg Rs 5, would be only Rs 50 per month.

I think this guy doesn't mention the number of streams simultaniously he was able to achieve?

@varkey Do you know how to setup custom domain for the Plex?

I have my own Plex server using the open source tool Home This is an interesting project. I have Plex and many other apps hosted on my server. You can choose google drive for unlimited storage ( some people use 100tb+ google storage(unlimited btw)) or you can self host it and use local computer. Amazing open source project that I have been using for an year, check it out

I think this guy doesn't mention the number of streams simultaniously he was able to achieve?

It was a generic review of the product right, nothing specific to Plex. I just wanted to show the power consumption numbers.

@varkey Do you know how to setup custom domain for the Plex?

I do something similar with nginx.

Domains, yes.

Manual port forwards no. Although nowadays I don't access it over the internet directly, I use something called Zerotier to access my private network. Zerotier itself manages the port-forward etc itself using uPNP/NAT-PMP.

Is there any guide to follow because I tried port forward and it didn't work.

Hey @varkey I did a setup with my old system just to check the stuff before investing anything.

1. Plex Server doesn't start because it ask for the password (Windows 10 Login). What you do in that case?

2. Did you mount your NUC SSD/HDD on your primary system?

1. I run it on Linux, CentOS to be specific. Not a fan of Windows for such things.

2. Yes, I access it over NFS if needed. For playing stuff from Plex you don't need to do that.